Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or does the driver's seat height lower by itself? You have that height adjustment lever and I pull it up a couple times and my seat height is perfect, then a couple days later I notice that the angle of my steering wheel is different, so I pull the lever up a couple more times and it's right again. So, is it like a shock under there that is bleeding out or are the gremlins just screwing with my head?

There may have been a thread on this in the past, but I'm too lazy to search for it right now, so sorry to anyone who hates repeats.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Yeah, there was a thread regarding this. Essentially, it's a defective seat. IIRC, the dealership will fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The gist of that old thread was... to adjust to full height: adjust seat "up" all the way, then "down" two pushes, then back "up" only one pull. I had a sinking seat as well, before I tried this method, and now it stays put.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I think I need another cup of coffee, as my memory is not so sharp this morning. Thanks for clearing it up, luigi...

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
mine sits on floor already...but need to check it out for when i get the senior citizen stoop and need to raise it in 30 years....LOL

·
Registered
151 Posts
When the seat lowers, does the adjustment reflect this?

In other words, if I check the adjustment to see if it can go any higher, and it can't, does that mean the seat has NOT lowered on its own?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
No problem w/mine.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad I'm not crazy and thanks for the thread link, I was pressed for time and knew I'd forget about it if I waited.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I have no idea....with my height I lower mind as low as she will go....and leave it there. I will ask my wife to drive this weekend as she is 5'4" and see if it loses its position...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I found many threads on FJ CRUISER about the Driver Seat issue. I have an 08 and I sit Way Down Into the seat, no matter where I Adjusted the part of the seat that my Back Leans against, I was Not Comfortable. Also, my Lower Back would Hurt when I got out of the FJ Cruiser (partly because I am in my 50's now and my body is Worn Out from Steel Mill - Labor Work when I was younger).

My FJ seat's Manual Adjuster works when I am NOT in the seat But, when I Adjust the seat up to Max Height, I get back in the seat and the seat falls all the way down to its Bottom Position again.
At this time I am Not Willing to pull the seat and try to Fix the seat Height Adjustment System.

I followed some readers ideas and tried different Spacers under the Rear Two seat mount bolt areas. I ended up keeping the 2" spacers and I really like the Seating Position now,

*I can see out the Windshield Much Better - I can Get Out of the seat With Ease Now - and my back does Not Hurt when I get out of the vehicle after driving it.

I have Attached a Picture of what I used for Spacers (2" spacers from local Hardware store). It looks a bit Odd in the picture that I Attached BUT, with the seat slid back in its Normal Position it is Not Noticeable until a person squats down and looks at it closely.

Thank You for all the Ideas regarding the FJ Cruiser Driver Seat!!

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have been wondering about that. My issue is that with the seat all the way down the door mirrors are somewhat in the way. I would adjust the seat up four or six notches, and a couple or three days later go up four or six more. And this has been going on for a while. I was wondering when it was going to max out!

I raised the seat all the way, then down two notches and up one notch per the recommendation. We'll see what happens.

Charlie

·
Registered
180 Posts
The gist of that old thread was... to adjust to full height: adjust seat "up" all the way, then "down" two pushes, then back "up" only one pull. I had a sinking seat as well, before I tried this method, and now it stays put.
I will give this a go.

Every couple of days it takes a couple of strokes to get the seat back up to full height then is sinks back down slowly.
So pump it up to full height
Push the lever down twice than up once and it should stay?

Pat

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'm on my 2nd FJ, and consequentially my 2nd defective seat. :( It's not a real big problem though. Maybe I'm just used to doing it every few days for the last ten years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have been driving this FJ around the last couple days with my Driver Seat modification and I have to say: "I like it more and more each time I drive it".
The Driver Sitting Position is So much Different that it seems almost like I am driving a Different or New FJ. (even seems like it has more Power now... lol)
Loving it!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I raised the seat all the way, then down two notches and up one notch per the recommendation. We'll see what happens.
I posted this on the 19th, and as of today (the 22nd) the seat is still in the elevated position, so that worked.

My issue with the seat elevation mechanism is that it tilts the seat forward, and that's fine as far as the seat back because I can recline it to compensate. But it drops the angle of the forward seat bolsters leaving my upper legs hanging in the air, and that is not entirely comfortable. Maybe I'll just raise the whole damn seat, both front and back, an inch or two.

Charlie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.