Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Looking to take my FJ for its first "run" in the Puget sound area and am hoping to get some recommendations. I checked out the sticky, but looking for some more detailed info from someone that has actually been to the runs. I have an evil plan I'll describe later! :lol:

Heres what Im looking for-

-Any easy daytrip from Seattle, so down and back in one day, no overnights.
-Very low difficulty, suitable for a solo run. My rig is stock, my tires are the stock duelers, and my experience is minimal! Service or logging roads would be fine really. I just want the first taste of a place I can go in the FJ that the soccer Mom's can't get to in their minivans.
-Length of the run not important. If we ride a relatively short trail, then do some light hiking, thats fine too.
-Would like something as scenic as possible. This one is important. I'm thinking maybe something around Mt Rainer or the Olympics?

Now on to my evil plan! The whole idea on this is to take the wife out for the day, get to some nice scenic views we wouldn't have normally gotten to see, and get her hooked on the idea of running trails. If I can *wow* her, then I can convince her a lot more easily to support my mod habits! Would be happy to ride with any other couples that want to join in on my evil plan as well!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I would suggest Tahuya if you're looking more for a wheeling day. There are areas there that allow you to really see what the FJ is all about without the risk of too much trouble. You can cover the whole area easily in one day too.

If you want more of a hike, there are a lot of options. One of my favorites is Twin Lakes near Mt Baker. You'll need to wait for the weather due to the elevation, but the views and destination are awesome while the road up is a great use for your 4x4.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I want to say late June or July? The forest service has a webpage that they update with conditions, that would probably be a better resource: Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest- Recreation

When it's really nice weather you definitely won't be alone (it's a pretty popular area). Driving all the way to the trailhead (at the lakes) is very possible with the FJ. The hike to the peak gets pretty exhausting toward the end as it's basically straight up for a little bit. There are a few trails if you just want to trot around and maybe do a picnic thing.

Another one to check out is Dorothy Lake off Highway 2. Not a challenge for the FJ (just a dirt road), but the hike to the lake is pretty nice through the woods, you can also keep hiking to find other lakes. The main trail to Dorothy Lake is less than 2 miles (4 miles round trip), but you can make it much longer if you want (some of the trails go for 10+ miles I think).

Remember to pick up a NW Forest Pass for parking at trailheads ($30 for the entire year if you plan on a few hikes, you can also pay $5 per visit at the trailhead). I've found the $30 pass is usually worth it, it works for some other random things throughout Washington/Oregon/Idaho too.

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes, a stock FJ can do it. I use to do it in my Ranger 4x4 with AT's....

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's the spirit.....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Now on to my evil plan! The whole idea on this is to take the wife out for the day, get to some nice scenic views we wouldn't have normally gotten to see, and get her hooked on the idea of running trails. If I can *wow* her, then I can convince her a lot more easily to support my mod habits! Would be happy to ride with any other couples that want to join in on my evil plan as well!

Thanks!
This is a fantastic plan. Clearly the Force is stong with this one. :lol:
Tim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Evans creek has great views of mt rainier on clear days.easy first service roads to get you to the views.plus you can venture up some of the trails and turn around when it gets to difficult.lots of obsticles to play on. Wilkenson just outside of buckley,wa

1 - 12 of 12 Posts