Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last year I proposed we have an alumni FJ summit and then hurt my back and ended up missing the whole thing. It did happen without me but I want to try again so I, and others, can enjoy the fall beauty of the western slope. As last year the following logistics will be in effect:

THIS WILL NOT BE AN EVENT LIKE THE FJ SUMMIT. There will be no headquarters, no meals, no directors, no organized runs, no trail leaders, no volunteers, no vendors, and no raffle.

What this is is just a date on the calendar and a thread where like minded people who have been to previous Summit's but no longer attend for various reasons can show up in Ouray with the reasonable expectation they can see some old friends they have not seen for a while.​

For the dates of this non-event I have chosen the week of September 17. This is peak fall color season on the western slope so instead of wild flowers the draw will be golden aspens and fall colors. All of the regular trails you know and love will still be open but you will experience only about a third of the traffic as most of younger tourists with school age children will be back at home. The towns will also be much less crowded. We can also explore trails that are not part of the regular FJ Summit.

I would like to have a nice group camp site and camp and am open to suggestion as to where this campsite should be. Of course camping is optional and your are welcome to make your own arrangement for accomodations.

If this week is not good I am willing to be flexible if there is consensus that a near week would be better.

If this sounds interesting to you sign up below and I will try to maintain a list here at the top of who is coming and when. We can also use this thread to plan un-organized get togethers and trail runs but everyone is pretty much on their own to do as they please and of course be responsible for themselves.

Ace Brown - maybe
Danny Fyffe - 1 night
Rotorhed
Bob Brown

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I hope I can but September is already pretty full for me. I’ll try and work in at least part of the week. How about checking on a group site at Ridgway SP?

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I plan to be there in the area probably around the 19th or 20th of September. May only stay one night, but not sure. My goal is to be there for Fall color. So put me down at least. Thanks for the offer and thread.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
The Portland Meadow would be good for a group site except for two problems: getting up the rough road would be challenging for any trailers bigger than typical off-road units. Also it’s become too popular and often occupied. But probably no weddings in September.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ridgway State Park has three group facilities that go for $40 a day but I was thinking we could boon dock camp at Ironton Park or vicinity if everyone is okay with that.

Is Portland Meadows where we camp for Summit? If so that is closer to town but as you as say is pretty rough for anyone with a big RV or trailer.

What about some of the campgrounds on Yankee Boy Basin? It shouldn’t be too crowded this time of year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Ridgway State Park has three group facilities that go for $40 a day but I was thinking we could boon dock camp at Ironton Park or vicinity if everyone is okay with that.

Is Portland Meadows where we camp for Summit? If so that is closer to town but as you as say is pretty rough for anyone with a big RV or trailer.

What about some of the campgrounds on Yankee Boy Basin? It shouldn’t be too crowded this time of year.

I don’t like Ironton cause its too far from Ouray. Need to be closer to the good restaurants.

I think the meadow would be better because of closeness to town. If someone brings a big RV they can camp in town.

I am pretty sure the first cg up YBB has no group sites and it’s a poor cg anyway. The next one on the left is better but I don’t think there are any group sites. I’ll look into that.

Ace

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I plan on attending and will bring my pop up. See no reason it can't get to Ace's private bear park.

Ridgeway is fine with me to. Ironton maybe a little farther out from town, but closer to more trails? I would guess Dan wants to use his new trailer. I would most likely hang around for the week, but would like to go down to Pagosa and see what is around there.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I don’t like Ironton cause its too far from Ouray. Need to be closer to the good restaurants.

I think the meadow would be better because of closeness to town. If someone brings a big RV they can camp in town.

I am pretty sure the first cg up YBB has no group sites and it’s a poor cg anyway. The next one on the left is better but I don’t think there are any group sites. I’ll look into that.

Ace

Restaurants? You mean we're not going to kill something for dinner? :wink

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Checked on Thistle Down CG and Amphitheater but neither shows group sites and many are tent only. TD is first served. Amp is all reservable.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another option might be down around Silverton. There is at least one campground in Silverton itself and then that more remote one up the road toward Animas Forks. That one used to be free but I think it is a fee campground now.

From there we would have easy access to Kendal Mountain and Stoney Pass. A couple of runs not covered by the Summit. Owl Creek Pass would be a bit of a trip since it is up by Ridgway but worth it for the Aspen groves.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
If we had a big enough group we could look into where the “100s in the Hills” stays. They were at Ironton until Silverton asked them to stay in their town. I’ll ask Stan Wright about that.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
What is a big enough group? Personally, I would rather we keep it small. We have all been trail leaders for many years at the Summit. We seldom get to run trails together and enjoy each others company. Not saying I want to limit it to a certain number by any means. I just don't want to turn it into a 20 truck caravan either.

Whatever you guys decide will be fine with me. My trailer is not an off road dedicated trailer, but don't see any problems getting it to the level of the famous ACE's bear country safari area. I do plan on getting some bigger and more aggressive tires on it before the NON event.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I did hear from Stan and I rulled out Silverton. Thinking the meadow is our best option if the bear does not mind.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did hear from Stan and I rulled out Silverton. Thinking the meadow is our best option if the bear does not mind.

What was the problem with Silverton? I was kind of liking that idea. Was thinking of going down this weekend to see what I could find.

I also agree with Bob. We don’t need it to get too big but so far that doesn’t look like it will be an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Isn't there something right around Red Mountain too?

You are probably thinking of Ironton Park. About half way between Ouray and Silverton in the one flat section of 550 where the speed limit goes up to 55. A lot of camping there on the east side. Is that where you are thinking?

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I am thinking about buying a Ham radio for the FJ. I will get the license and all that stuff, but want to know what you guys think is the best for the money. I doubt I would ever use it, but with the fires here in California you just never know. Sorry for the Hi Jack.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I started out with a Yaesu FT-60R HT and added a external antenna that I mounted to the roof rack. Then use the rubber ducky when I'm walking. I also got a car power kit for it. I would highly recommend you get the programming software and cable for whatever you get. So much easier to punch things into a computer and transfer it than all of the key strokes and dial turning to store freqs.

I now have a Yaesu FT-8900 quad band in the FJ, and a 746 base station.

When camping 20 miles NW of Durango I could hit all of the repeaters on as low as 1.5 watts.

KE5WRH

1 - 20 of 174 Posts