Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
There were some tough spots. Find the FJ yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sitting in the parking lot right center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Had a great time, gathered a lot of rocks and wood pieces for my model rail road. Thanks to Ace and Dan for taking me to the 1880's Corkscrew Turnaround for the Albany and Silverton ore train. A nice hike, but truly beautiful.

Trees were spectacular as Dan had promised. A long trip, but well worth the time. Brian and Dave had some fantastic campfire tales. A very fun week.

Certainly plan on making it next year. I think 12 of the Summits are enough. This time of year, the place is totallty different, a little cooler at night, crisp one morning as there had been snow in the mountains.

Thanks to Dan for setting this up and to all who attended. Wish Dave/JoAnn and Brian had been able to stay a few more days. Maybe next year!

Oh, and the dogs were all fantastic. Well behaved and kept a smile on your face watching them play. I will bring mine next year.

Ace also found a great little single track, less than a couple of miles from where we camped. I plan on riding that next year. We spent most of our spare time in Silverton, found a great pizza place and a funnel cake shop. Did HandleBars one afternoon. Got to watch the Durango to Silverton steam train enter town a couple of times.

Again Thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Are we going to to Alumni Gathering #3 ?

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Where is out leader, oh True Grit, yoohoo, are we doing this again.

I am headed to Durango the 12th of June, riding the train again with friends from Indiana, then doing what ever trails might be open in mid June.

I really enjoyed the fall in the San Juan's. Can see me going again, why not #3 and #13 in one year.

Made reservations for the Summit, coming alone.

Still had rooms available at the Quality Inn, which was the Comfort Inn.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Hey Guys. Getting an early start are we. I guess it is only 5 more months until the Alumni Summit. There is a pretty good chance I will not be at the real Summit this year but I will definitely be there for the Alumni and we can make it as long as you want.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Hey Guys. Getting an early start are we. I guess it is only 5 more months until the Alumni Summit. There is a pretty good chance I will not be at the real Summit this year but I will definitely be there for the Alumni and we can make it as long as you want.

Alright let’s start making plans. I thought last years camp was good. Also liked the pizza place in Silverton. But what really got my love was the MTB trail that we shuttled. That was a super cool trail. Thanks to all that came and let’s see if we can double the attendance this year.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Now if I can get my air mattress to hold air and figure a way to keep the mutt warm....

I may use my cot this time and a pile of blankets for Phoenix to burrow into. Or just sleep in the FJ again.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
You need to buy a little trailer rotohead. You will be comfortable and so will that neat dog.

You don't need a real expedition/overland trailer, just something for the trail head. I love mine, makes camping/glamping way more fun. I know Ace popped for one, but think he is setting it up for a more rugged trail trailer.

I will be there for sure.

Will also bring my bike this time.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You need to buy a little trailer rotohead. You will be comfortable and so will that neat dog.

You don't need a real expedition/overland trailer, just something for the trail head. I love mine, makes camping/glamping way more fun. I know Ace popped for one, but think he is setting it up for a more rugged trail trailer.

A Buddy Heater would be cheaper than a trailer. Rotorhead get your dog a jacket.

Bob good on bringing your bike. Now we will need another shuttle driver.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts

I had a pop up tent trailer, it seemed to take a long time to set it up, but it was nice. I didn't use it much after the new rules at work. On call 24/7 unless claiming vacation days. I was up to 4 weeks per year, but we naver got to take vacation as there weren't enough "rovers" to fill in.

A Buddy Heater would be cheaper than a trailer. Rotorhead get your dog a jacket.

Bob good on bringing your bike. Now we will need another shuttle driver.

I thought about that, she does have a jacket that she wears on our walks during the winter. That short hair isn't meant for sled dogs, she's an indoor dog of course.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Mine takes about 30 seconds to set up and be ready to sleep in. My third A frame popup. I love them for that reason. No canvas smell, no wind ripping thru. But they never lose their value. Damned things now are costing more used than they were new.

Actually thought about building another tear drop a month ago. But just don't use the FJ as much as I once did, so have decided not to. Will deal with what I have, unfortunately it is too big to convert to an off road trailer.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Mine takes about 30 seconds to set up and be ready to sleep in. My third A frame popup. I love them for that reason. No canvas smell, no wind ripping thru. But they never lose their value. Damned things now are costing more used than they were new.

Actually thought about building another tear drop a month ago. But just don't use the FJ as much as I once did, so have decided not to. Will deal with what I have, unfortunately it is too big to convert to an off road trailer.

No way 30”. It would take me that long just two remove four keepers and pull out the step.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I wanted one of those A frame trailers, but $ is a big thing now.

I have seen several enclosed cargo trailers with a side door that could be converted. But I'm not going to be able to use it much in the future. While the pain level is down a bunch my joints still crack and grind whenever I move. Doc thinks that I have about 5 years until I'm crippled. I had too much fun when I was younger and am now paying for it.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
30 seconds is most likely doing it very slowly.

I only have two latches on the side, pop them, push up the roof, lift each side up and it is done. The hardest part is the folding door. That could slow you down.

My bed is always out, do not have a couch so no delay there. Of course if I want to set up the generator to piss Ace off it takes a little longer.

My days of roughing it are over. My frame is perfect for what I want to do these days. The week in Silverton was perfect. Got a good nights sleep every night, never got cold and had plenty of food and water. If I was going to cancel on one, it would be the Summit. Driving around with Ace and Dan was fun, and the leaves turning was fantastic. Actually I felt it was more beautiful and the summer event.

121 - 140 of 174 Posts