Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good spot under the hood for a second battery? What battery make/model is the best choice?

·
Registered
208 Posts
dwight said:
Is there a good spot under the hood for a second battery? What battery make/model is the best choice?
still need to see it w/out the ropes to decide ware to put the second batt. But it will be an Intersate.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Good topic dwight. I'm considering a dual battery installation too. Everyone seems to be nutso over those Optima batteries. You can stick those just about anywhere they'll fit, and sideways too. There's a lot of off the shelf dual battery kits out there too. Here's a link to detailed installation in a Tacoma:
http://www.bajataco.com/dualbatts/dualbatteries01.html
I think there's going to be space under the hood similar to where he installed his second battery. Supposedly there is lots of room under the FJC hood.
I'm a little paranoid about electrical stuff though. These new fangled wiring harnesses are complicated and I've never been good at diagnosing shorts.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The engine bay should look similar to the 2003+ 4runner v6 models. With that said, it will fit easily by the passenger side firewall area. Optima and Odyssey are highly recommended.

There are many different ways to hook up the second battery so make sure you guys do your homework when you do it. Personally I went with Roger Brown's setup (http://4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/DualBatteries.shtml)

GOod luck!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Pretty easy just don't cross the lines. The setup I went with requires you to wire up everything by hand and make all of the ends (connection tabs for the battery).

You can easily just get one that is already made as well (costs more though). This is plug and play meaning just follow the diagram and call it a day. Just find a spot to add your battery and mount it using the mounting parts you purchase.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
roevisions said:
Is it that difficult athing to add a 2nd? I presume one would have to get a mechanic to put it in? Even though me grandad used to be a master mechanic my knowledge is of how to fix humans...

You fix humans? Got a cure for stupid...?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I'm going to let someone that's done it before install one for me. As GT says, there are some nice off the shelf kits out there. ARB as one with what they call a "smart solenoid." From their website:
Manufactured by US based Sure Power Industries – the world’s most respected supplier of auxiliary battery control devices – the smart solenoid combines the simple, reliable operation of a solenoid with sophisticated battery control capabilities. Its primary role is ensuring the vehicle’s main battery is fully charged before the second battery receives charge. It does this by monitoring the voltage of the starting battery and will only energise the solenoid and link the auxiliary battery when the starting battery reaches 13.2 volts. Conversely, the control unit disconnects the auxiliary battery when the starting battery voltage drops below 12.6 volts. This process is continuous and automatic.
http://www.arbusa.com/arb_dual_battery_systems.htm

·
Registered
434 Posts
Guys,

If you've seen the engine compartment there is going to be plenty of space to put in the additional batteries. I would highly recommend it for winch operation etc. I would recommend the Optima series. What I am wondering is if there is enought room to put one under the driver seat. Just have to wait to see when it comes in.

Cruiserdude:cool:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
cruiserdude said:
Guys,

If you've seen the engine compartment there is going to be plenty of space to put in the additional batteries. I would highly recommend it for winch operation etc. I would recommend the Optima series. What I am wondering is if there is enought room to put one under the driver seat. Just have to wait to see when it comes in.

Cruiserdude:cool:

·
Registered
295 Posts
POS VETT said:
How come nobody wants to relocate the batteries to the back ? That should help with weight distribution and keeping the batteries away from the underhood heat.
The reason is voltage drop. In order to transfer the 12V to the starter and the ignition system you have to install a low resistive cable (ohms/foot). This is done through larger diameter (gauge) wires. It is just more expensive to have much thicker and longer battery cables run through a vehicle chassis when 99% of ppl won't need the battery stowed elsewhere.

Little loss can be had at 3 feet at a certain gauge whereas 10+ feet in the same size cable (battery in back to winch) could cause serious voltage/amperage losses critically affecting the performance/power of the winch.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts