Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Second Generation FJ To Do List

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  JOHNYCQUE 
#1 · (Edited)
Toyota! While I love my FJ, there are a number of things we can do to make the product better, sell better, perform better, etc. The following changes deserve serious consideration and probably implementation on either the Second Gen FJ or ASAP. And the standard or optional improvements MUST be kept within a reasonable price range.

1. The MPG must come up, significantly, while the level of octane needed in the fuel must come down, WITHOUT a significant dent in HP or torque (e.g., engineer the power plant for greater efficiency, improve aerodynamics, etc.).

2. A strong, V6 hybrid option should be available to both reduce gas mileage and increase the offroading expedition distance ranges.

3. Visibility must improve, particularly in almost all areas behind the driver.

4. The front windshield needs an increased slant of about 10 degrees to reduce rock chips, cracks, etc.

5. The fit and finish need improvement, i.e., bring it up to normal Toyota levels of quality while maintaining the rugged look (no damn leather, heated seats, or any of that ****).

6. The plasticy "space age," "1980s Battlestar Galactica" look of the interior dash, especially the sides of the dash, should go back to the 80s.

7. The skid plates need to be at least 1/10" thick, rust-resistant (if not stainless steel), high quality steel, and more coverage (e.g., over the T-Case and underlying exhaust pipe at the T-Case, the lower links, the rear shock mounts, the gas tank - steel 1/8" think steel, not plastic, etc.)

8. Increased factory ground clearance is a MUST (e.g., at least one inch), with no rake or only a slight rake re the front suspension.

9. Real offroad (e.g., MTs, XTs), or at least rugged AT 34" tires should come as an reasonably priced option. The standards should be REAL AT tires, none of that 2007 Dunlop tripe.

10. The front and rear bumpers need a shave to provide increased approach angles, especially the trailer hitch.

11. A true roll cage, optional or standard, is sorely needed either on the inside of the cab or under the interior materials of the cab.

12. A factory-installed Warn Winch (with at least two winch options) should come as an option, included with an upgraded battery and, perhaps, an upgraded alternator for better winch operations.

13. The plastic and/or rubber cladding, mud flaps, wheel well covers, etc., need better attachments (e.g., no clips... anywhere... all screws, nuts, or bolts) and increased durability.

14. The available options packages and options need a serious reduction in price, as they are currently unreasonable.

15. An easier, lower, more durable, usable opening back window is needed for realistic access.

16. The headlight adjustments should be made much easier and more accessible... no dealer adjustments required.

17. The marker lights on the mirror either need to get brighter so that one can actually use them, or go away.

18. The dashboard on the passenger side has tons of empty space inside that reduces front leg room; this is an easy fix.

19. Factory option rock rails should extend out far enough to actually protect the vehicle's body and quarter panels by moving the FJ out of harms way.

20. Optional GPS System should allow for better integration into the dash and be affordable, i.e., comparable to aftermarket systems.

Follow this list, and the Second Gen FJ will still fly off the showroom floors, even if most SUVs (e.g., Hummers) are going the way of the Dodo Bird! :rocker:

See less See more
#2 ·
Toyota! While I love my FJ, there are a number of things we can do to make the product better, sell better, perform better, etc. The following changes deserve serious consideration and probably implementation on either the Second Gen FJ or ASAP.

1. The MPG must come up, significantly, while the level of octane needed in the fuel must come down, without a significant dent in HP or torque (e.g., engineer the power plant for greater efficiency, improve aerodynamics, etc.).
Its really not the engine that is the problem. Its the fact that the FJC has the aero dynamics of a brick wall.

2. A strong, V6 hybrid option should be available to both reduce gas mileage and increase the offroading expedition distance ranges.
Doubt a hybrid is somthing you'd want on a long expedtion. While it may increase driving range, if somthing breaks, engine wise, good luck fixing it.

3. Visibility must improve, particularly in almost all areas behind the driver.
Agreed. Blind spots really suck on this vehicle, espeacially when off roading.

4. The front windshield needs an increased slant of about 10 degrees to reduce rock chips, cracks, etc.
Agreed.

5. The fit and finish need improvement, i.e., bring it up to normal Toyota levels of quality while maintaining the rugged look.
I think the FIT and finish is preety good, but i have to admit, in the interior, my moms new Ford fusion is better than my FJ. I guess you could either take that as a complaint to ford, or a slash at toyota.

6. The "space age," "1980s Battlestar Galactica" look of the interior dash, especially the sides of the dash, should go back to the 80s.
Negative ghost rider. Thats one of the things i love about the FJ. Keep the next gen dash simular to the current model!

7. The skid plates need to be at least 1/8" thick, rust-resistant, quality steel, and more coverage is required (e.g., over the T-Case and underlying exhaust pipe at the T-Case, the lower links, the rear shock mounts, the gas tank - steel 1/8" think steel, not plastic, etc.)
You just complained about gas , and range, but yet you want to add 200 pounds of skid plating? I will agree that the factory skid is crap though.

8. Increased factory ground clearance is a must (e.g., at least one inch), with no rake or only a slight rake re the front suspension. No thanks. let the aftermarket take care of the suspention lifts. i think toyota got it right.

9. Real offroad (e.g., MTs, XTs), or at least rugged AT 34" tires should come stock or at least as an reasonably priced option.
As an option yes, but stock no. Again, mods like these (eseacially rotating mass) aren't going to help the mileage department.

10. The front and rear bumpers need a shave to provide increased approach angles, especially the trailer hitch.
i guess that wouldn't be bad. Espeacailly the hitch being set back. But i'm guessing they dset the bumpers up the way they are due to crash testing and such.

11. At least one, strong, real roll bar is sorely needed either on the inside of the cab or under the interior materials of the cab, right behind the driver's head and over the knees of the rear passengers.
Unless a toyota ditches the suice doors (Whitch i really hope they don't!!) then i don't see that happening anytime soon.

12. A factory-installed Warn Winch (with at least three winch options) should come as an option, included with a seriously upgraded battery and, perhaps, alternator for better winch operations.
I really don't see the point of offering more than one winich. But that said, a winch option would be cool. I'd check that box in a heart beat!

13. The plastic and/or rubber cladding, mud flaps, wheel well covers, etc., need better attachments (e.g., no clips... anywhere... all screws, nuts, or bolts) and increased durability.
Agreed.

14. The available options packages and options need a reduction in price, as they are currently unreasonable.
I really don't see them being unreasonable. But if any cut in price i'm all favor for.

15. An easier, lower, more durable opening back window is needed for realistic access.

Yes! And would it kill you toyota to put in a stupid pop switch??

16. The headlight adjustments should be made much easier and more accessible... no dealer adjustments required.
Agreed. I was able to domine, but it was kind of a pain.

17. The marker lights on the mirror either need to get brighter so that one can actually use them, or go away.
Agreed.

18. The dashboard on the passenger side has tons of empty space inside that reduces front leg room; this is an easy fix.
Agreed. And a grab handle would be nice too.

19. Factory option rock rails should extend out far enough to actually protect the vehicle's body and quarter panels by moving the FJ out of harms way.
Steps intagraded into the sliders would be even better.

20. Optional GPS System should allow for better integration into the dash and be affordable, i.e., comparable to aftermarket systems.
Agreed.

Follow this list, and the Second Gen FJ will still fly off the showroom floors, even if most SUVs (e.g., Hummers) are going the way of the Dodo Bird! :rocker:
I'd say take care of the basics first..
Improve visability, windshield rake, intagrated steps in the rock rails, GPS, front leg room (though it really isn't bad), better back window, and winch option ( You really teased us Toyota by having your FJC concept have one, but not including it on the production version!:flame:), and you'll be off to a good start!

#3 ·
All great ideas. I would go for the winch option in a heart beat. Plus a pop switch for the rear window is spot on. Why they didn't put one in is beyond me. Now who do we call?

#4 ·
How about a bigger gas tank!!! I sold my MT mainly because I just couldn't stand the 'low fuel' light coming on after only 220 miles on a tank of gas. At a minimum Toyota needs to put in a 23-25 gallon tank ala 4Runner style. If I can't consistently get around 300-350 miles/tank on the next gen FJC, I will not be coming back. If they up the range, I'll be right back as my FJC was the best new vehicle I've owned in a long time...I just couldn't get past the all too often pit stops.

#13 · (Edited)
The size of the gas tank is my biggest issue but the Jeep wrangler tank is smaller at 18.6gal. 4-runner has a good size at 23gal. I think the Porsche Cayenne must have the largest tank at 26 gallons. That would be a great size for the FJ or better yet come out with one these new diesel engines that get such great fuel economy. If they some day want to sell this car in Europe it may happen.

#5 ·
Of course you are prepared to pay around USD$60,000 for this 2nd Gen FJ right?

Remember the rule of 3, you can have it faster, cheaper or better. When talking about engineering on this scale, for every increase in 'quality' such as MPG, options, etc. are going to increase the price dramatically and take years to arrive.

- Solo

#14 ·
I agree. The original poster sounds like he wants a Range Rover. So go ahead and buy it but don't expect to pay 30k. The Toyota is what it is and I find some of the so called faults with it to be part of the charm. All I could really ask for is a more rugged interior because I know it will wear out quicker than the rest of the car.

#6 ·
Visability, windshield rake, rear window access (bigger, with pop button), winch option, are all great starts. The headlight adjustment is just a pain to figure out. It's super easy - MUCH easier than any other car I've ever had. Stick a philips head screwdricer down there and twist. Easy.

Steps on rock rails c- already done. See TRDSource section for a thread on these. GPS - already a dealer-installed/FJ exclusive option.

Mileage - less rolling weight/resistance. Put on bigger tires, it's more weight AND rolling resistance. Put on armor, it's more weight. Both take mileage away. I say go for the larger fuel tank, or put a secondary smaller tank on the underbelly in that HUGE cavernous open space. But make sure it's protected/crash safe. It can be an option, like making an expedition package (like the current off-road package).

Add an adjustable passenger seat, exactly like the driver seat. It makes the co-pilot very happy....which means less nagging. I'm all for less nagging :D

I REALLY like the thought of a grab handle on the passenger side dash AS AN OPTION (low or no-cost), in case someone wants to put something else there like a laptop or something.

Stiffen the chassis a lot....maybe some more under body or roof (between thye headliner/inside roof panel) support. ANd maybe some support inside those HUGE A-pillars.

And we want it all for $25K. :D :D :D Seriously, a lot of this can be done VERY inexpensively at the factory. Good luck, Toyota!!

#7 ·
Steps on rock rails c- already done. See TRDSource section for a thread on these. GPS - already a dealer-installed/FJ exclusive option.!!
The steps that TRD source offers are the bolt on ones in addtion to the factory rock rails. I was talking about actual steps built in the sliders simular to the edpedtion one rock rails. As for the GPS, i think he was reffering to someing a little more factory intagrated like on toyotas other models. A nGPS/navagation system that doubles as the radio and such.

Seriously, a lot of this can be done VERY inexpensively at the factory. Good luck, Toyota!!
I think if toyota can take care of the basics (button to pop open the rear glass, more 12V outlets, map lights, rear grab handle for helping the rear passengers get in/out of the back seat) toyota will be off to a good start. I'll defenatly agree that bigger tires, thicker skid plating, lifts, role bars and what not should be left to the after market. If someone wants to sacrifice fuel econemy, and pay a higher initial price that the factory will rape them for,then that should be left up to them. Not everyone (in fact most won't) be taking there FJ off road.

#8 ·
You had some good ideas, but some I disagree a few. Do not make any major design changes to exterior or interior.

I understand the want for bigger tires, more ground clearance and better rock rails. Except that OEM stuff is usually crap or bottom line (like builders grade when building a house). Most people replace the tires, rails and add lift kits anyways. The rugged trail tires they use are some of the worst tires BFG makes. Why pay for a larger size of crappy OEM rugged trails, when I am just going to replace them with a decent tire, at least BFG AT's.

Bottom line toyota can add that stuff, but it will be OEM quality and not after market quality. Why pay for extra stuff that is low grade and you will want to replace with better later anyways. Bottom line they could offer different rails, tires, bumpers, etc. as an options or accessories, but consider how expensive factory accessories are at half the quality of aftermarket.

Please do not change the exterior or interior design, they are good they way they are with the exception of a few minor changes. Changes I would like to see (some are from FJCrypt's list)that would not warrant an increase in price are:

1) interior map lights

2) brighter lights on mirrors or I agree they should go away

3) heated mirrors

4) rear window that rolls down electronically like tundras

5) better stereo that can be heard over road noise from roof rack (FJ has one of the worst factory stereos of any car I have owned, the fj is my 7th vehicle). FJammer sounds like a fisher price my first stereo a toddler would own.

6) Better glass on windshield, don't change angle or change look of vehicle just use stronger glass.

7) Dont change design to increase rear visibility, just use wider side mirrors or offer a back up camera as an option

8) More interior storage areas. Like Fjcrypt said, there is a lot of unused room above glove box on passenger side. Places for change and sunglasses that are not out in the open.

Don't change engine or mileage. The current engine is a good engine has been proven in other toyota vehicles.

Again, I think the FJ is a great vehicle, just needs some minor changes. Don't forget that it is a toyota. When you buy a toyota or honda(having owned both), you are primarly paying for a reliable engine, the rest of the car is made pretty cheap. The focus is on engine reliability(which is reason for high trade in value) not comfort or quality of interior.

#9 ·
5) better stereo that can be heard over road noise from roof rack (FJ has one of the worst factory stereos of any car I have owned, the fj is my 7th vehicle). FJammer sounds like a fisher price my first stereo a toddler would own.
Really?! I LOVE mine... best stock stereo in any vehicle I have owned.

But then my last vehicle was a Big Wheel.

Excuse me, gotta go, teacher says it's nap time.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

#11 ·
Some of those things would be nice, but over all I'm happy with the FJ.:rocker:

#12 ·
I like just the way it is. I will mod it to meet my want's and needs as I see fit.
Now...
If Toyota were to bring back an early 70's model FJ40. I don't think they could build them fast enough to meet demand. No power windows, open top no A/C and running gear that would make a Jeep cry. And price it at thousands less than a Jeep. I didn't buy mine for the gas mileage. I bought it because it was different, cool and would take me to the places I like to go when I fish and hunt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.