Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Secondary Air Filter?

What's up with this??????? Why is it in there??? and why isn't it replaceable????

I have a early 2007 stock 2wd Toyota FJ Cruiser. I don't do any off roading. We live in the country and it see's mostly hwy 55-60mph driving or less. I use Amsoil synthetics, and do oil analysis and extended oil change intervals http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/140231-extended-oil-change-interval-18-700-miles.html?highlight=air+filter Everything is fairly normal except I'm trying to lower the silicon level. In Dec of 2010 it was 56ppm(moderate), so I changed the oil and filter, installed a bypass system, replaced the K&N element w/Amsoil EaA238 element. Now, a yr later(2 wks ago),Dec of 2011, oil analysis shows silicon at 70ppm(moderate). I went looking for induction leaks again and determined there aren't any, again.

The photos below shows the stock factory non-removable secondary filter. It is located just downstream from the replaceable filter element.

I think it is slowly disintegrating, thus sending debris into the engine, showing up as silicon on my oil analysis, so I have removed it. I have also installed a new Fram air filter element, as well as changed the oil and filter. I'm good to go for another 10-12 mths.

What are your thoughts on removing this secondary element? Please don't post if all's your gonna tell me is to change my oil more often.

Thanks

Don B

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The "filter" in question is used to control evaporative emissions when the motor is off. It really serves no useful purpose, and no codes will be thrown when it is removed

Perhaps if you live in an area with very picky emissions it may be mentioned

I have posted my used oil analysis and up to about 7,700 miles with Mobil 1 European Car Formula 0W-40 and a dealership oil filter, everything was fine. This was in summer with 100% long distance Interstate driving

In winter, with town driving distances under 5 miles one way, temps down to -40, an oil like Mobil 1 0W-20 is done before 3,000 miles. The made in Germany Castrol Syntec 0W-30 is good to 5,000 miles

Others who have tried extended oil changes have had issues with iffy used oil analysis, even with bypass oil filters. Perhaps the 4.0 V6 is just "hard" on oil, I know mine is

So at the end of the day, you may just have to change the oil more often.

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
You bumped a 5 year old thread for that?!

Proves nothing. Especially in 25 miles lol. Unless you went from gas station, back to the gas station to see the exact fuel used for the miles (and even then, pumps can differ) you are proving absolutely nothing at all; especially that a completely free-flowing secondary filter element is responsible for terrible fuel mileage. Laughable.

And, welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't here. 1.)Look up an old thread about whatever topic and post there, you'll get called out for bumping or resurrecting a way old post (not always but, more often than not). 2.) Create a new thread when others already exist on the same topic you'll get referred by others to all the other threads that exist on that topic then next time you want to post about a topic you remember to search for threads that already exist and post there then #1 happens.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
A bit off of the original topic, but. I was looking at a video of the stupidest things that mechanics have seen.

One was a picture of a freshener/fabric softener sheet for a dryer. Someone must have heard about using it with the cabin air filter to make the car smell. They had installed it on the engine air filter. Don't start sniffing the fresh scented exhaust now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts