Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings FJers! I had a 2008 FJ TT that I bought a few years ago with 132k miles. My wife drove it for a year, put 12k miles on it and the entire family hated it (except me). So I sold it for $2000 more than I paid. I determined that a FJ may not be the best family vehicle.

After that, I ordered a 2017 4Runner TRD Pro (in Cement) brand new from the dealer. Waited 7 months for it. Loved that truck, like a big FJ. I drove that truck for a year, put 12,000 miles on it and traded it in to a Toyota dealer for $1500 more than I paid. I traded it for a 2017 Tundra TRD Pro (also in Cement). I drove that for 18 months. What a great truck!

Fast forward a year later, a family member needed a car. I made a deal with them to get them a car, let them drive it, let them insurance, and let them take care of it. When they were done, they would have to give it back to me. why not get another FJ to keep in the family?

I just bought this one owner, 2012 Calvary blue FJ with 49k miles. This should do the trick!

Back in the family!

·
Premium Member
16,663 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
12,421 Posts
Welcome back to the madness!

Psst...It's Cavalry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome back to the family! Any future plans for that beauty?
First, I’d like to get it up on a lift at my shop and apply Fluid Film to the bottom, to take care is and prevent future rust on the frame and hardware.

Second, I’d like to upgrade the headlights to projectors of some sort (LEDs or HIDs) to improve the candle power of the stock headlights. Recommendations? I’m open...

I’ll check the exhaust...and may change it to a 304 stainless setup. I’ll check when I get under the car.

After that, I’ll only see it occasionally so it’s up to the family member to take care is it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, Canada!

·
Premium Member
3,230 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi At It Again, Welcome form Ohio!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another welcome from Vancouver, British Columbia! I'm a newbie as well, having just introduced myself 2 weeks ago (see thread "Hey from Vancouver"), although I've owned my '08 FJ for almost 14 months. My sons and I are having a blast with ours! I know what you mean about the headlights- I found that (for mine) some plastic polish and a few hours made a world of difference. The lens covers were quite cloudy and the time spent with the polish helped a lot (I'm now seeing sunlight reflecting off signs on the road in front of the car during the day, which didn't happen before). I also recently had a burnt out light so went with a higher end set of Halogen bulbs, and while the combination of the 2 (polishing the lenses, better bulbs) has been a noticeable improvement, they're still not great.

There's a reasonably priced LED bulb set (iIrc, 50 or $60?) that a couple of people here have bought off of Ebay or Amazon (brand name Sealight?) that seem to be getting good reviews (you do have to hog out the rubber dust cover a bit to fit over the heat sink), and in my searching I've found these- Supernova LEDs - Fitments - Quality LEDs for your Car which they claim are made in the USA (so your money is contributing to the "local" economy and NOT all going to China) and higher quality parts/much better built. I'm toying with the idea of trying the 9000 lumen ones, as my sons and I do a fair bit of 4 wheeling/back roads exploring, and better lights would make night driving so much easier. Al

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another welcome from Vancouver, British Columbia! I'm a newbie as well, having just introduced myself 2 weeks ago (see thread "Hey from Vancouver"), although I've owned my '08 FJ for almost 14 months. My sons and I are having a blast with ours! I know what you mean about the headlights- I found that (for mine) some plastic polish and a few hours made a world of difference. The lens covers were quite cloudy and the time spent with the polish helped a lot (I'm now seeing sunlight reflecting off signs on the road in front of the car during the day, which didn't happen before). I also recently had a burnt out light so went with a higher end set of Halogen bulbs, and while the combination of the 2 (polishing the lenses, better bulbs) has been a noticeable improvement, they're still not great.

There's a reasonably priced LED bulb set (iIrc, 50 or $60?) that a couple of people here have bought off of Ebay or Amazon (brand name Sealight?) that seem to be getting good reviews (you do have to hog out the rubber dust cover a bit to fit over the heat sink), and in my searching I've found these- Supernova LEDs - Fitments - Quality LEDs for your Car which they claim are made in the USA (so your money is contributing to the "local" economy and NOT all going to China) and higher quality parts/much better built. I'm toying with the idea of trying the 9000 lumen ones, as my sons and I do a fair bit of 4 wheeling/back roads exploring, and better lights would make night driving so much easier. Al View attachment 1136350
I decided to get the Anzo projector headlights and HIDs. We will see how I’m it works when the truck finally arrives.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts