Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We pulled into town Friday evening & stopped in camp to see who had already arrived & meet up with Lance. The group was finishing up a recovery demonstration and we had some raffle swag to drop off. After leaving catalogs, stickers & prizes we checked into the hotel. After a good nights sleep we headed back over to camp and met up with a lot of great people. Events like this are great - lots of new ideas for product delelopment and improvement! Soon after was the drivers meeting and we then headed off to the trail. There were 3 groups: The scenic run, the also-scenic-but-a-bit-more-challenge run, and the "hard" run. We chose the hard run of course, and off to the trail we went. We had 7 FJ Cruisers, a monster Lexus and a Land Rover D90. The first trail was Broken Arrow, where we had to dodge pink Jeeps the whole way - most of the drivers were very nice, a couple seemed a bit grumpy, but everyone got along with no problems. Several were taking pictures and Cnynrat was doing video, here are my contributions. Let the photo's begin!

Sedona is beautiful... what a way to wake up!

Here the GPS challenge is described, it was supposed to be held Saturday from 3pm-6pm, but because most participants were on the trail past that, it was delayed until this morning (Sunday) from 8am-10pm.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We began at Broken Arrow, after airing down the fun began...

After a couple made it up, our "video crew" setup at the top of the first hill

The monster Lexus on nearly 39" tall tires

And since this was a turnaround section, we all headed back down & onto the next section

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everyone was having a blast, the weather was in the 80's and the sky's were clear

Pink jeeps were swarming like insects

Our next stop was at an outlook where last year Bobo lost her lower control link. I was told the story of over an hour in the freezing snow doing a trail repair with vice grips, this year no problems, everyone walked through without damage. Yes, the views were spectacular

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The call was made to head out, Homedad lead the way

I believe this section was called the merry-go-round. Large rock in the middle to circle and a steady slope on the right made it appear & feel as if you were going to slide off, but traction was great.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More of the pink Jeeps, this driver was particularly cool. I saw him later that night at the gas station & he remembered our group & wanted to make sure we had fun & everyone got out safe.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After winding through the trail we finally got to the staircase, Broken Arrow's most famous feature. Much steeper than the pictures show, its a very fun obstacle that got many of the drivers attention

The video crew was on hand to capture the excitement

Vehicle after vehicle passed and headed down the hill

More of the pink Jeeps followed

and the local wildlife was there to check us out

Then it was time to head back to town, fuel up & head to the next trail

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greasy Spoon was the next trail on the list, we ran it backwards and after several moderate hillclimbs and descents we got to the rocks.

With eyes as big as dinner plates, and a crackling voice saying "is this going to get any worse?" the driver made it through with only damage to his tailpipe

The human ballast helped a bit

and after determining that we could not continue further because last years flash floods washed FJ swallowing boulders into the entrance of the next canyon (hey.. the Lexus with 39's wouldnt even try it) we headed back out

Stuffin 35's! Yes a 35" tire will work on a 3" lift...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After that it was a short climb out of that small canyon and a few miles back to the main road, then back into town.

It was a good day on the trail with some great people. Fun was had by all and everyone was ready to get back to camp & cleanup for dinner. More pics tonight of todays activities to come!

Terry
All Pro

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Lot's of pictures!!! Nice Terry. You had Dave, Jody, Bob with you. I bet it was a great time. I like your new tires and tire cover. :)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are some pics from the raffle:

The winner of the kids raffle:

The winner of the first annual GPS challenge

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lot's of pictures!!! Nice Terry. You had Dave, Jody, Bob with you. I bet it was a great time. I like your new tires and tire cover. :)
I'm very happy with the new tires so far, the trip there & back was smooth & only a little road hum, which is to be expected with the MT tread, but the extra traction was great. The tire cover is hiding the AT spare because the 5th MT is on backorder nationwide, hopefully will be in this week so they all match!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Very nice shots Terry. Detailed report with lots of pics are my favorites! :)

How are you liking the KM2s? I remember you not liking them when they first came out.

·
Banned
3,593 Posts
Hey Terry....It was nice runnin' with you again....Great report:bigthumb:
See ya' on the trail

Oh....and you missed a fun night run UP the stairs....

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice shots Terry. Detailed report with lots of pics are my favorites! :)

How are you liking the KM2s? I remember you not liking them when they first came out.
I had the first set coming into Cali preordered but heard bad things about them from people running the preproduction units, so I cancelled my order. After the production models were finally released & people running them came back with rave reviews, I had to try them for myself.

See ya' on the trail

It was a blast! And I heard about the night run from Bob the next day... next time I'm going to have to leave a cell number with you guys, woulda loved to have been on that run!

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Nice report - great shots - thanks for sharing - :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Awesome pics Terry, nice write up. Now why didn't I go on this adventure??:( ohh yeah I'm too poor to pay attention:lol: Wish we could have been there! Next time I'm not going to miss the fun:D Glad you guys had a good time!

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
See ya' on the trail

Kurt, did I see a pic of your wife driving??????

1 - 20 of 65 Posts