Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought there was an annual get together in Sedona but I dont see anything posted for it.

I was thinking about attending this year if there is one.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
91 Posts
That hasn't happened for a few years. For several reasons, it just isn't doable for large groups any longer.
:frown

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,009 Posts
That hasn't happened for a few years. For several reasons, it just isn't doable for large groups any longer.
:frown
Is that because of Pink Jeep tours dominating the trails? I wheeled there a couple winters ago and they made it clear they "owned" the road, and not just through their huge numbers :rawr:

·
Registered
903 Posts
Is that because of Pink Jeep tours dominating the trails? I wheeled there a couple winters ago and they made it clear they "owned" the road, and not just through their huge numbers :rawr:
Really? That makes me want to road trip down there and dominate the trails myself for a few days.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm sure the pink jeeps have more to do with it than anyone will admit. They tried to get permits and do it the legal way but there was way too many hoops to jump thru.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,009 Posts
I'm sure the pink jeeps have more to do with it than anyone will admit. They tried to get permits and do it the legal way but there was way too many hoops to jump thru.
I've been wanting to go wheeling in Arizona. I might try to get some friends together and head down there this summer. My daughter is a Marine stationed in Yuma so I'd visit her while I'm down there.
Compared to Moab, Sedona's slick rock is a small area with congested trails and city access roads. It is beautiful, but sooo commercial. I'm certain the Pink Jeep monopoly had a lot to do with killing group events on popular local trails. IMO one of the most amazing wheeling experiences I ever had is just outside Flagstaff - Cinder Hills, actual volcanic cones! Highly recommended :rocker:

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been wanting to go wheeling in Arizona. I might try to get some friends together and head down there this summer. My daughter is a Marine stationed in Yuma so I'd visit her while I'm down there.
Semper Fi
I was stationed at MCAS Yuma in 1975. Work was done at the "Golf Ball" your daughter will know what that is.

When you go to Yuma check out the old territorial prison by the river.

Also if you want some desert exploring, there is a dirt road that runs along the railroad track going from Yuma to Phoenix (Arlington to be specific). There is an area where General Bradley trained his men. You can see the rock outlines of the tents, at least back in the 70's you could. Rumor that Bradley buried a lot of equipment there. I never found any signs of that.

Desert wheeling is a lot different than mountain wheeling. Cactus, snakes and sand are not your friends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts