Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a hard time seeing traffic lights when I am the first in line. I found on ebay a prism that is used on modified rods that works great. I can now be sitting almost under the light and still see when it changes. not a bad solution for under 50 dollars. check out ebay under traffic light viewer and there are several options

I have had my fj 07 for 2 years and love it. I just did find you all in the forum and appreciate all of the good advice. I hope this helps someone.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
I have had a hard time seeing traffic lights when I am the first in line. I found on ebay a prism that is used on modified rods that works great. I can now be sitting almost under the light and still see when it changes. not a bad solution for under 50 dollars. check out ebay under traffic light viewer and there are several options

I have had my fj 07 for 2 years and love it. I just did find you all in the forum and appreciate all of the good advice. I hope this helps someone.
Links? Or what is this thing called?

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
ConverseJohn (I think) has one of these, maybe he'll chime in. He did mention that it does allow you to see the lights but it also reflects the sun in the same manner so you get something similar to a camera 'flare' effect from it. What has your experience been?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yeah it pops up on here pretty regularly. They're about $20. I want to say you can find it under the unique mods or maybe it was the dirt cheap mods threads. Neat, but my neck is still in working condition, so, no need for it yet.

·
Registered
368 Posts
LightInSight - Windshield Mounted Traffic Light Lens

This is what i have. I think I paid $17 shipped. You can install it quicker than it takes to open the package. Wet it and stick it. Right at the top of the inside windshield directly over the steering wheel. A group buy may lower the price and if I remember there is a discount for multiples bought with the same order. This should come standard with the FJ. It is a must.

Only drawback is driving into the early or late afternoon sun, it will magnify the sunbeam. A drawback that really is irrelevant and adaptable.. The website shows it being applied in the way, my thought. I put it up as high as possible and actually pulled the headliner down a tad and put the top edge under the edge of the headliner for a clean loook. It can be pulled to clean or use in another vehicle. The smooth side goes against the glass.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
X2--Mounted mine over the rear view mirror. Works great.:bigthumb: Wish I had order two and got the discount. I would have mounted the second one on my rear window to verify that my garage door is completely open before I start backing out. Now I just use the side mirror to verify that the door is all the way open. No big deal.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
LOL.... I think the first thread I ever read in this forum was about this very subject. You know what I did to get rid of this problem? I leveled my truck. Just a two inch spacer but it made all the difference in the world. I can now see lights easily.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This I hope is the ebay link. this does not mount to the window but to the top of the dash. When the sun is a problem I just adjust it so it does not blind me.

[URL="cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRAFFIC-LIGHT-VIEWER-CHROME-BASE-SUPER-DELUXE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e5cbce32QQitemZ360337624626QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories"

I am not real good at this. if the link does not work just go to ebay and type in "traffic light viewer and they come up

·
Registered
170 Posts
lightnsight is a fantasic product. I found it when i had my MINI. I have had them on every car now and its cheap and low profile. Just make sure you have the right side facing you.. should be standard equip in every car.

Ive actually mentioned this on this forum a few times. Wish i had thought of it!!!

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Maybe its just me but stoping to where you can see the light is easy.

So your back a couple of extra feet....who cares? Those few extra feet are not going to change anything.

Just another gizmo replacing common sense.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

So your back a couple of extra feet....who cares? Those few extra feet are not going to change anything.

:werd:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Maybe its just me but stopPing to where you can see the light is easy.

The OP asked for advice not opinions. The above comment is why I spend more time reading posts than replying. Some days it isn't even worth logging on to the forum knowing that people like to kick you in the short hairs rather than help.

Reread your reply Mikey and see if you can figure out why you needed to flap your soup coolers to someone else's post other than just to hear yourself speak. I'm pretty sure someone could pick apart your FJ and find something that is a "Common Sense Replacing Gizmo".

·
Registered
96 Posts
So you're back a couple of extra feet....who cares? Those few extra feet are not going to change anything.
On my commute to work there are sensors in the road the trigger the lights to change so if I stop a few feet back I'll be waiting a long long time! I also like to have my seat high up so I often can't always see the lights easily. I may get one of these lightinsight things. Sure, it's a gizmo, but it's not replacing common sense.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Sorry to bump an old thread but I found this thread looking for a solution.

Around the Boston area there's a few lights with sensors in the road that at some times will never activate unless you're near the stop line. Not only that, but so many people pull up past the stop line, that the DPW, in their infinite wisdom, decided to reward bad drivers by putting the sensors on some of the lights on the other side of the stop line...

For 17 years I've been driving a 1997 3/4 ton full sized Chevy pickup and seeing the lights have never been a problem. Neither has it been a problem in my 1970 Cutlass, my Dad's 2004 Avalanche or my Mom's 1999 Corolla. It's only a problem in my girlfriend's 2014 FJ because I have this annoying habit of stopping at the stop line (c:

I think for Xmas I'm getting her one of the stick on prisms.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
LightInSight - Windshield Mounted Traffic Light Lens

This is what i have. I think I paid $17 shipped. You can install it quicker than it takes to open the package. Wet it and stick it. Right at the top of the inside windshield directly over the steering wheel. A group buy may lower the price and if I remember there is a discount for multiples bought with the same order. This should come standard with the FJ. It is a must.

Only drawback is driving into the early or late afternoon sun, it will magnify the sunbeam. A drawback that really is irrelevant and adaptable.. The website shows it being applied in the way, my thought. I put it up as high as possible and actually pulled the headliner down a tad and put the top edge under the edge of the headliner for a clean loook. It can be pulled to clean or use in another vehicle. The smooth side goes against the glass.

First thing I bought for my FJ. Works great for traffic lights.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
The OP asked for advice not opinions. The above comment is why I spend more time reading posts than replying. Some days it isn't even worth logging on to the forum knowing that people like to kick you in the short hairs rather than help.

Reread your reply Mikey and see if you can figure out why you needed to flap your soup coolers to someone else's post other than just to hear yourself speak. I'm pretty sure someone could pick apart your FJ and find something that is a "Common Sense Replacing Gizmo".
Just wondering if I to am kicking someone in the short hairs by saying I use the second set of traffic lights positioned at the left of the intersection on a pole, these lights can be easily seen at eye level and viewed out the side window as an alternate to the overhead . Just a different style maybe some are not even aware of the option.:thinkerg:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
37,801 Posts
Just wondering if I to am kicking someone in the short hairs by saying I use the second set of traffic lights positioned at the left of the intersection on a pole, these lights can be easily seen at eye level and viewed out the side window as an alternate to the overhead . Just a different style maybe some are not even aware of the option.:thinkerg:
I either do that or I lean over, making sure I have the window open, and with my head at a weird angle and drool oozing out of my mouth I look up at the lights. I also make weird grunting noises just to freak the people next to me out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts