Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's a chance - albeit a slim one - but a chance I'm going to sell the FJ. I do this... I buy/build/sell. I don't plan it. Every time I buy a car it's the one I'm going to keep. The FJ is my 28th car. But that's not the point of the post...

Whenever I modify a car or truck, I recognize there's no hope of getting all or even any of that money back. In some cases, every buck you spend modifying a car or truck can be deducted from the value - as compared to a stock version. But the FJ is or may be different - it's purpose-built and I just took it a step further... this is my hope anyway.

The FJ is damn near flaw less - well, for a 3-year-old truck... couple scratches. There are no interior mods, no holes drilled, nothing cut, etc. The mod list is below. Worth noting - all of the major mods, e.g. suspension, bumper, powder coating, etc. were performed by a shop that specializes in LC and Toyota truck restoration. What do you guys think? What have you seen RE: stock vs. modified as it relates to resale price.

Oh, and if - big if - I do sell the FJ, it will be replaced by another Toyota with "Cruiser" in the name ;)

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
My thoughts on this is that you try to get some of the value back on your parts. If your truck is as clean as you say you may find a person who likes the changes and would be willing to give more than a stock truck.

Your other option is remove what you can and put back as close to original. Then sell the parts on Craigslist to recoup some of your money.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
One persons thoughts on tasteful mods might be another persons tacky hack job.

IMO mods are only worth a premium if the buyer happens to want those particular mods, otherwise it can devalue it if the buyer doesnt like/want/need what you've modded.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kelly blue book lets you list your modifications and you get an estimate of used value. I did it with mine this morning just for fun and found that it's worth more than what I paid! lol

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do think the type of mod matters too - whether it's a permanent mod like a snorkel, or other things that require cutting, drilling, etc. or a bolt-on, e.g. bumper, springs, etc. If the truck can be taken back to stock with a set of wrenches - as opposed to paint/body works... probably a consideration

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
FWIW, you can seldom get back what you paid for mods when you sell your vehicle -- any vehicle.

You'll generally do much better parting out the mods than including them in the sale price, but it's certainly worth an effort to sell the FJ as a package to see what reaction (if any) you get, but if there's no response or if people just offer you what it's "worth" based on KBB or NADA, then your only recourse is to part out your mods in order to maximize your return (and limit your loss on the $ you paid for your mods and the car).

Good luck! :wave:

·
Registered
122 Posts
i've been working with modified cars for some time now, and done some work with and for dealers..

Any modification that is done to a car, will decrease it's value. Only exception, usually, is if it is a collector item, even then, it is a hard sell.
If I am buying a used car, I will low ball the value of any modded vehicle. a lot.
Why? Because if the car is modded, I do not know if it was treated well, and since I am not ready to be dumping my $$ into fixing stuff, I will be less likely to buy something modded.

My car right now, according to KBB, is worth around 14K.. With all the mods (close to 10K), it is worth 8.. Which is exactly why I am parting her out.
Part out, recover as much as you can. Dealer won't offer you enough to cover all the mods done. that just doesn't happen.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
i've been working with modified cars for some time now, and done some work with and for dealers..

Any modification that is done to a car, will decrease it's value. Only exception, usually, is if it is a collector item, even then, it is a hard sell.
If I am buying a used car, I will low ball the value of any modded vehicle. a lot.
Why? Because if the car is modded, I do not know if it was treated well, and since I am not ready to be dumping my $$ into fixing stuff, I will be less likely to buy something modded.

My car right now, according to KBB, is worth around 14K.. With all the mods (close to 10K), it is worth 8.. Which is exactly why I am parting her out.
Part out, recover as much as you can. Dealer won't offer you enough to cover all the mods done. that just doesn't happen.
Your logic baffles me. Just because a car is modded, you don't know if its been treated well? What makes you assume that unmodded cars are well maintained. Silppery slope there. And your assumption is that you are selling it to a dealer, not a private party....substantial difference.

Any modification that is done to a car "will not" decrease the value in all situations. Take a look at the rigs that sell on here. Look at Shadow Warriors & Air2Airs selling prices and then take another look at what you said...doesn't hold water. Even in the case of a dealer, most users have been able to get a stock KBB value with Mod's....nothing more tho. Not sure why your FJ has substantially decreased in value.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't own an FJ. I own a dinky G35 that I am getting ready to exchange for a quality product aka FJ.

Now, you say that a rig is not a collector or specialty item? That's a new one..

not sure how many cars you've sold, or been a part of building/trading/selling.. perhaps, in your area it is different.

Oddly enough, my logic is what majority of buyers/sellers are using when looking at cars here.

Give you an example:
Would you invest into a Nissan 350Z, twin turbo, full exhaust and a hood?

I am not talking show cars, those are, obviously, going for good chunk of cash more than stock.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Where did I say the FJ was a specialty item or a collectors item? Its not and never did I claim it to be.

I simply pointed you to the facts on selling prices, which you didn't apparently look at. You've basically stated that each mod has an inverse effect on value...which isn't true in the majority of FJ sales (which is what this thread is refering to not G35s or 350z's).

To answer your example question:

1. It depends on the history and records you have on the vehicle including maintainence and what you price the car at.

2. Short run answer is yes. I just bought a 25 year old Porsche 951 (not a collectors car by any means) because it had a well maintained interior and low miles. It came with modifications that I wasn't neccessarily looking for - $14k or so in aftermarket parts and I did end up paying more money than the car is listed at on pricing services like NADA and KBB. There were also other bidders who were willing to pay more than market value of a stock 951 as well. Again unless you are looking at collectors cars - I'm not sure how you are managing to frame that cars lose value with modifications.

·
Registered
122 Posts
you are, clearly, not seeing my point..

And 951 is not a collector's item?

By collectors, I am not referring to those people who buy a car to keep it under the glass shield. I guess, enthusiast would be more fitting.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
If I'm missing your point then its because you haven't communicated it clearly.

You said

I disagreed with your statement and provided multiple specific examples. If I am missing something please englighten me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
well, since you are having problems reading, here is a quote from my last post:

By collectors, I am not referring to those people who buy a car to keep it under the glass shield. I guess, enthusiast would be more fitting.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
No problems reading at all, your point just isn't valid and practically doesn't make sense.

Nearly every single car out there has an enthusiast following...so now you are saying that the majority of cars with modifications are now worth more than their stock counterparts. Seems to be the opposite of your original post.

Anyways as I mentioned previously Manhattan your car is probably a couple grand over blue book if you find the right buyer. If you are going with a dealer I'd sell the parts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
wow.. lol

I'd appreciate it if
1) you would bother reading and thinking things over
2) stop putting words in my mouth.

I will make sure that dealers I work with hear about your theory, they enjoy a good laugh here and there.
cheers.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Good post, just got downsized today, unemployed as of this afternoon. Up to this point they(they=employer), were giving me a car allowance + paying for gas. Really nice set up, never really busted my balls about weekend fill ups or anything. Now I'm worried about FJ payments, not sure what I still owe, the wife does all the bills. I'm getting a 10 week severance pay but don't know if car allowance is included. I hope I never have to sell my FJ, love it more than any truck I've ever had. I don't have a ton of mod's (it's not the one in my avatar, I wish), but I do have a lift 285/17 BFG's & some removable stuff on the interior. Guess I'll put it up for sale at a crazy high price just too check what I get offered. I hope you post what happens, i'm really interested, I'll subscribe to the thread.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts