Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was removing my rear bumper plastic and a idea came to mind. After water crossings I have always noticed water in the jack compartment. Hers why...

Its a set if vents with rubber flappers on them. They are on both sides of the Fj. This is where the water comes in and has the potential to pour in!

So my question is what would be the cons of sealing the vents up?:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Every car has those vents. These air flaps prevent air pressure to build inside the vehicle during elevation change. Cons of sealing the vents would be something along the lines of your ears experiencing the same pressure as in an aircraft while your changing elevation. Yea, I know, its not quite that dramatic considering your still on the ground but you get my point. Second con would be your doors would be a little tough to close because their will be back pressure when you 'slam' them shut. Basically your turning the truck into a tight air bubble.

I agree with you thou, these flaps are in a stupid location on the truck but honestly, I have been in over 3 feet of water and never got anything in those... so not sure why yours are letting water in...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya those are some good points! Another member on another forum suggested using Gore-Tex to seal the vent, it will still let air out but would waterproof it at the same time. I really like this idea and may try it! Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I think they're also for temperature changes. I would imagine a hot "air tight" car has a decent chance of cracking/breaking/busting the seals of glass.

To what ColdNapalm said, I wonder how difficult it would be to cut a ventilation system higher up, and then make it decently water proof? I wonder if you could line the vent with a breathable waterproof material. Like the stuff they make some mattress liners out of. I remember a few years back I bought a new bed, and the furniture store had all these glass jars filled with some type of fragrant liquid and covered with a fabric. The point was you could smell the liquid, so you knew the fabric could breath, but if you turned the jar upside down, nothing would leak out.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Ya those are some good points! Another member on another forum suggested using Gore-Tex to seal the vent, it will still let air out but would waterproof it at the same time. I really like this idea and may try it! Thanks for the input!
I think this would not work
You are confusing "water resistance" with "water proof". The water pressure you create through submerging this area would easily overcome the "Gore Tex"

One way to prevent some of the water entering the cab area is close windows and ford the water with the outside air vent on, fan running in high. This will bring in air from the front outside vents and keep "positive pressure", in the cabin area (to some degree).

The best scenario would be not to ford water that deep. You are playing a dangerous game of roulette. If it's high enough to enter your flaps in the back, it's high enough to submerge the computer under the glove box. That will get your truck totalled. You cannot predict if you get stalled, or stopped for any length of time. Water= problems with these trucks.

Don't be fooled by snorkels, and youtubes, you see of guys submerging their vehicles, until the snorkel looks like a periscope from a submarine. These trucks aren't designed for deep fording .

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I closed em up with synthetic chamois cloth like 2 years ago. no more water, sand, n muck inside, and it dries quickly so the air still flows. of course it wont hold out gallons of water when fording, but it has done a significant amount of good for desert runs, quick splash river crossings and other things. Doesnt smell or anything.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The vents are an exit point for the air pressure that comes from when you close your doors with the windows up. Without them, the air pressure would make it difficult to close your doors and put unwanted pressure on your window seals. Give it a try...seal up your FJ and have someone close the doors while you watch the vents...there is a good amount of air that escapes.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I think this would not work
You are confusing "water resistance" with "water proof". The water pressure you create through submerging this area would easily overcome the "Gore Tex"
I was the one that suggested it. It was just an idea because I thought of how Pelican cases uses Gore-Tex in their valves to waterproof their cases. I believe that they're rated to be submerged in water up to 3' deep. If the water line gets higher than 3' from the vents, then I'm sure you will have more problems than water getting into the jack compartment. I'm not saying that it's going to work for sure, rather that I still think that it may. And if not, it should at least block a lot of water from splashing into those ports.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^irony.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts