• This site needs some help.

Votes: 76 89.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
1) it is not your browser. I have other ad blocks and it does not matter. In fact, the usual suspects are notable absent (but I see 4 just on this page - and they load instantly as those sites are at 127.0.0.1 ;) Geek speak for my computer told them they were on my computer and so I just get a blank "cannot display" with no waiting)
2) It is the server. At 5:30AM EDT, this site is pretty snappy. And the list of the number of folks looking at each forum is getting to be single digits. X64 server OS with a ton of memory tuned for prefetchs would fix it probably.

If you love geeking out your ad block tuning, check out the "using a host file to make the internet not suck as much" site at Using a Hosts File To Make The Internet Not Suck (as much) Note that this is a 3 out of 5 stars techie thing, so if you don't know where or ever edit system files, it is not recommended. If you use a really, really old school site blocker that modifies the hosts file, you will conflict. Some security software may protest if you edit the hosts file. Consider yourself forewarned. :)

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
^^^ unfortunately too many Mods and Admin are quick to suggest away to "cover up" the problem rather than actually fixing it so people don't have to add another browser and junk up their computer...

fix the server problem!!!! Stop asking us to cover it up!!

·
Texican
8,572 Posts
^^^ unfortunately too many Mods and Admin are quick to suggest away to "cover up" the problem rather than actually fixing it so people don't have to add another browser and junk up their computer...

fix the server problem!!!! Stop asking us to cover it up!!
Athena, how many buttons did you have that affected the forum speed?

Answer: The same amount I have... Zero! There is no cover up, there is no consipracy... but there is no Alien at Roswell, there was a moon landing and there were people on the grassy knoll.

Mods and Admins have no control over the speed of the servers, the OWNERS are working on getting some issues ironed out. In the mean time I and others have offered up possible solutions to help the end users browsing experience. I have expereinced some of the issues that have been brought up... but only when logged out and browsing as a visitor. These issues are being worked on by the owners but in the mean time stop spreading the lie that the mods and admins are covering up something!

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Not once did I say that Matt.. now you've taken it to far.

I am saying.. instead of forcing firefox down people's throats.. talk to the site owners and fix the ad server site.. like it's said to be done now...

Mods and Admin DO have CONTROL of the communication being had to the site owner..

·
Texican
8,572 Posts
Communication has been open between us mods / admins and the owners for quite some time but if you feel that you would be able to tell them how they need to fix their hardware / software better than all the others that have assisted them up until now Phil and Stew would love to hear from you, just read below.

The load issues where reported worked on and should be resolved now. I understand what you are all saying as I too was not impressed with trying to just do work on the site with running slow. Yesterday and today it has sped up a great deal for me and am still looking for info if you have blank pages or experiencing really slow load times. If you run into this please copy the URL you where viewing and send me a PM with the link.
Bank page loads are due to an ad that is breaking the site if your lucky enough to get this ad. If you get the blank page loads please please take a screen cap and email it to [email protected] I need this to show to our adtraffic guys. Need to know what ads are loading if you get the middle blank with no content.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
other threads had a moderator continuously dropping "firefox" as the fix also... it gets old.

·
Texican
8,572 Posts
I was one of them... it's not a fix for the ad-servers being broken but it is a fix for the end user who can't view this forum because the broken ads are locking up the forum for them.

I have 0 issues browsing this forum, I'm one of the lucky 80% who have 0 issues, for the other 20%, 90% can be fixed by following the steps outlined in previous posts. The 2% of all users whose issues these things don't fix have local issues that nothing we can tell them from our end will fix.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Zero issues as well at home and at work (where I am now) both running XP Pro and latest Firefox with Ad Blocker Plus.

Now on my Droid...different story.
It loads pretty slow, as I have not installed an app like TapaTalk.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Ever since this forum became a for profit site it began sucking big floppy equine member

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
****Warning Positive Feedback Below****

I did email a screen shot to "Capt. Barbosa"
????? (sorry couldn't resist :D ) and he (she?) did reply. I'm not sure how much has been done regarding the ad causing the issue being fixed but I have not seen it for a few days now and in that time the site has been fine, given that I don't block the ads.

While it may have taken (IMO) forever to get the attention we were asking for, now that we have it, it does seem like they are doing something.

/positive feedback

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Try the Skyfire browser, I have no issues with it.
Thanks, will give it a try later.
Ever since this forum became a for profit site it began sucking big floppy equine member
As someone who admins a HUGE all Toyota offroad site with 88,219 members as I write this, I can assure you sites like this and mine depend on ad revenue coming in.

Last time I checked, and this was more than a few years ago, the monthly Internet bill for my site alone was around $400 a month for the bandwidth.

Big sites are not cheap to operate, and figure in new hardware every few years, money needs to be flowing in constantly, or you end up shutting the site down.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
PC's suck. Get a Mac. You don't know what your missing. Smooth as butta........
Apple does make pretty stuff and I have some of it. My laptop blazes on the internet except on this site most times. Its a pc. Mac is no different as far browsing as a matter of fact, safari totally sucks. I do networking for a living and I know why the site gets slow. It is not a mac or pc issue. Say hello to steve for me :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

181 - 194 of 194 Posts