Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a diagram they can post up of the belt routing? I'm changing the belt and hoses today and don't see a diagram under the hood. Maybe the diagram was on the air filter housing? Anyway I don't see it. I guess I'll draw a picture if I have to. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I believe this is what your looking for.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tim!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there, I thought you maybe interested:

1) Lower cost (Bando) belts etc generally will not last nearly as long as the Toyota / Gates OEM / Aftermarket product...(that's why Gates sell most of the OEM belts in the world)

Gates info:
Serpentine Belts - Spring/Summer Car Care | Gates Corporation

2) "Gates engineers say, however, visual appearance is not a reliable indicator of the expected service life of a belt. They recommend replacing the serpentine belt every four years"

3)"To inspect a serpentine belt for wear, turn the engine off and twist the belt slightly. If the V-ribs show excessive cracks or chucks are missing, have the belt replaced immediately before it fails."

- Here is a Gates Video that shows how to change the belt serpentine belt..

here is one more that helps you find out why you have belt noise..
Troubleshooting V-ribbed Belt Noise - Gates Belts ? V-belts, Timing Belts and Serpentine Belts

Hope this helps

cheers Mark

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
It looks easy when the front end is off :) Anyone done this change from the top and not removed the skids? I have aftermarket skids and they are beat up pretty good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
akoda,

I changed belt couple wks ago from bottom with skid off and was relatively easy. I am sure it could be done from top but hope you have long arms, small hands, and tough knuckles, :)

I recommend a long rachet/etc for leverage to put on nut to move and hold idler pulley

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just changed my belt last week... from the bottom it was dead easy. I looked and looked from the top and I just don't see how you can get any access without removing parts.
My oem "skid" plates are pretty gnarly (I had to buy new bolts AND re-thread the holes they went in) but I gotta think that taking things off from the bottom is easier than trying an approach from the top.
Happy hunting. Let us know if you succeed from the top.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I did two belts this past weekend, one on my fj and one on my 05 4Runner. I removed the plastic engine cover and my bottom skids. I had to work some from the top too to get my hands in the right place. Hardest part of the job was the aftermarket skids. Took more than 10 minutes though :)

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
My 2007 has 51K miles and I think its the original belt. Looked at the Gates site and they recommend the following: Replacing a Belt?
To reduce belt warranty problems, comebacks and labor claims, Gates recommends that all Accessory Belt Drive System (ABDS) components, including the belt, tensioners, and pulleys, be replaced at the same time.

Do I really need to replace tensioners and pulleys if they don't show signs of wear?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have changed my belt twice (once wasnt necessary but i already bought it)

Its really easy to change from the top, i have long arms and decently big hands and havent run into a problem. I feel as if i would have more problems taking my front skids off then replacing it from the top, all you have to do is remove that piece of plastic. tensioner is within half an arms length and fishing it through the fan

·
Registered
153 Posts
Kiwi,

I hate to burst your bubble but Bando has over 60% of the domestic OEM belt business in the USA. All Corvettes, silverados, and this year all Ford products are using Bando. Also all Asian car manufacturers here in the States use Bando.

Bando has been mfg belts for over 110 years and had a technology exchange with Gates back in the 70's.

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kiwi,

I hate to burst your bubble but Bando has over 60% of the domestic OEM belt business in the USA. All Corvettes, silverados, and this year all Ford products are using Bando. Also all Asian car manufacturers here in the States use Bando.

Bando has been mfg belts for over 110 years and had a technology exchange with Gates back in the 70's.

Bob
Charlie Gates invented (patented) the first rubber belt ever in 1917 - so I am doubting - Bando were making them before Gates.

As far as quality of the brands... look at Toyota, Nissan, Honda, & all Korean brands... who only use Gates OEM... not because of price...its Gates quality that wins the business.

Bando will always be cheaper than Gates... every time Guaranteed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts