Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals- I've had a persistent issue over the last few (3-4) years that has gotten much worse over the last 6 months. I've probably

My serpentine belt keeps shredding and the last 2 have lasted less than 2 months. I took this pic to illustrate that the belt seems to be moving back towards the alternator.

Little bit of context:

-This seems to have started when I changed the tensioner pulley 3-4 years ago but has gotten MUCH worse recently
-Every time that I've changed the belt, I've done the one click start to make sure that it's on the teeth correctly
-When I put the belt in the picture on a few weeks ago, I checked that all the pulled we're moving freely (this was confirmed by my roommate who is a mechanic)

Any ideas and suggestions would be amazing!

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Are the pulleys aligned correctly? Meaning is one pulley in or out more than the others. If the new tensioner had a pulley for a different application. But something is out of whack.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
when you replaced the tensioner pulley, what part was used? What year is your FJ?

Agree that it has to either be a pulley alignment issue or I have heard of this problem from some people who experience deterioration of the rubber bushing in the harmonic balancer. Let me see if I can find some threads. I may have seen it on the Reddit sub for FJCruisers.

Edit: couldnt find the posts I was referring to....but the problem people were experiencing was that the rubber part of the harmonic balancer was deteriorating and allowing some movement leading to shredded belts.

If it were me, I would check every accessory that is running off the serpentine belt to ensure there is not movement on any of the shafts or bends in the pulleys on each of these items (power steering pump, water pump, ac compressor and anything else that I missed). And make sure you are relooking at all the replacement pulleys and tensioner.

the tensioner bolt is reverse thread, so have you checked to ensure that is still tight (clockwise is looser, CCW is tighter.

Gotta be something on tensioner pulley, all other serpentine belt pulleys, harmonic balancer/crank snout, alternator shaft/pulley, ac compressor shaft/pulley, power steering shaft/pulley. Check and check again.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
What year is your FJ? Any squealing? Pull your belt and clutch fan. You'll be able to see where the alignment is going once there's space to see. Or remove the front bottom engine shield and look from below Should have a good view.
Don't mind the artistic flare lol but example of what you can see from the bottom up

·
Registered
54 Posts
A you wanna elaborate on what you mean by “ I’ve done the one click start to make sure all the teeth are on.” ?!€£¥

·
Registered
54 Posts
Guys and gals- I've had a persistent issue over the last few (3-4) years that has gotten much worse over the last 6 months. I've probably

My serpentine belt keeps shredding and the last 2 have lasted less than 2 months. I took this pic to illustrate that the belt seems to be moving back towards the alternator.

Little bit of context:

-This seems to have started when I changed the tensioner pulley 3-4 years ago but has gotten MUCH worse recently
-Every time that I've changed the belt, I've done the one click start to make sure that it's on the teeth correctly
-When I put the belt in the picture on a few weeks ago, I checked that all the pulled we're moving freely (this was confirmed by my roommate who is a mechanic)

Any ideas and suggestions would be amazing!

View attachment 1117937

1 - 8 of 8 Posts