Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, all -

I have been lurking here for some time, and enjoying the great resource that this site is! I plan to buy my new FJ in mid August when my LR3 lease is up.

So the first order of business for me will be to put in a really good stereo system. I'm not planning to compete, and I don't want to shake the ground at stoplights. I just want an all-around solid sound quality, something that sounds really clean and clear at normal volumes and that will also sound great when I crank it. My listening tastes range from sort of folk/rock (Lucinda Williams, Damien Rice, Mary-Chapin Carpenter) to 80s to rock (U2, Airborne Toxic Event, Good Charlotte, and my current favorite song to crank is "Grounds for Divorce" by Elbow.) So I'd like competence for that range of listening.

My initial thoughts are:

HU - Alpine IVA-W505
Front speakers (in factory door location) - 6.5" Image Dynamics Chameleons or Infinity Kappas (think the extra $$ for the Chameleons is worth it? Also, do I want 2 ohm or 4 ohm speakers?
Wicked CAS sub enclosure

I will have LOTS of questions (I plan to do the install myself) but my first ones are:

- Speakers: I won't really have backseat passengers, and I just want this to sound great to me, the driver (it's all about ME, dontchaknow! :) so will some high-end components in the front doors with a sub in the back be enough? Will I be missing anything without coaxials in the backseat, behind me? I don't see the point of putting speakers behind me, but I also want to do this right the first time.

- Amp for speakers: want to mount it under the driver's seat (and the inherent water/dust risks are not a real issue for me). So I want an amp to drive the front speakers I described above. Something that will give me good sound and solid performance without breaking the bank any more than necessary!

- Sub(s): I really don't know much about subs. I have my eye on the Wicked CAS enclosure with 2 10"w1v1 subs, but wonder if just one would be sufficient? I want nice tight, punchy bass, nothing boomy. I want it to round out my music without drawing attention to itself, if you know what I mean.

- Amp for sub(s): Based upon what you think is right for me in terms of subs, what would be the ideal mono amp to drive it? (Thinking I'd put the sub amp under the passenger seat).

Also, is it best to split it up into two separate amps, or to just get one amp to run both the front speakers and the sub?

I really, really appreciate your recommendations. This is the first of many barrages of questions! :)

Cheers,

Christina

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Hello, all -

I have been lurking here for some time, and enjoying the great resource that this site is! I plan to buy my new FJ in mid August when my LR3 lease is up.

So the first order of business for me will be to put in a really good stereo system. I'm not planning to compete, and I don't want to shake the ground at stoplights. I just want an all-around solid sound quality, something that sounds really clean and clear at normal volumes and that will also sound great when I crank it. My listening tastes range from sort of folk/rock (Lucinda Williams, Damien Rice, Mary-Chapin Carpenter) to 80s to rock (U2, Airborne Toxic Event, Good Charlotte, and my current favorite song to crank is "Grounds for Divorce" by Elbow.) So I'd like competence for that range of listening.

My initial thoughts are:

HU - Alpine IVA-W505
Front speakers (in factory door location) - 6.5" Image Dynamics Chameleons or Infinity Kappas (think the extra $$ for the Chameleons is worth it? Also, do I want 2 ohm or 4 ohm speakers?
I had Infinity Kappa coaxials in my past cars and they sound GREAT!!! I loved those speakers. Not sure how there components rate, but they were a nice sounding speaker. I haven't heard the Image Dynamics though. I don't think it really matters what OHM you get, just make sure they all match. Read the stats on the speaker amp you get and make sure that the power ratings are right for the ohm load you are putting on it.
Wicked CAS sub enclosure

I will have LOTS of questions (I plan to do the install myself) but my first ones are:

- Speakers: I won't really have backseat passengers, and I just want this to sound great to me, the driver (it's all about ME, dontchaknow! :) so will some high-end components in the front doors with a sub in the back be enough? Will I be missing anything without coaxials in the backseat, behind me? I don't see the point of putting speakers behind me, but I also want to do this right the first time.
I ran my system with just front components for a while, while I was building my fiberglass pods for the rear passengers. It actually sounds just fine. If I didn't want the project (of building the pods) and the fact that I have rear passengers, I would have just stayed with the two components up front.

- Amp for speakers: want to mount it under the driver's seat (and the inherent water/dust risks are not a real issue for me). So I want an amp to drive the front speakers I described above. Something that will give me good sound and solid performance without breaking the bank any more than necessary!

- Sub(s): I really don't know much about subs. I have my eye on the Wicked CAS enclosure with 2 10"w1v1 subs, but wonder if just one would be sufficient? I want nice tight, punchy bass, nothing boomy. I want it to round out my music without drawing attention to itself, if you know what I mean.
I would say that 2 12's is perfect for your situation. The W1's are alright for what they are...shallow mount subs. You can't fit much bigger on the shelf, but from what I hear they sound good enough, Especially for your kind of music. You always want more instead of less and wanting more. You can always turn down the subs via the head unit, or bass boost.
- Amp for sub(s): Based upon what you think is right for me in terms of subs, what would be the ideal mono amp to drive it? (Thinking I'd put the sub amp under the passenger seat).
Under the seat is fine to mount your amps, though if you do a lot of offroading I would advice NOT putting them there, especially if you do water crossings at all. Also there isn't that great of a location to ground the amps under the seat. I would mount the amps up on the other shelf...You can get the mounts made by members for some $$ like I did.

Also, is it best to split it up into two separate amps, or to just get one amp to run both the front speakers and the sub?
I would use two seperate amps. This way you will get more power to your subs. Most 5 channels only handle about 125 watts RMS for subs (from what I remember). You will probably want a JL 500/1 (please fill in if I am wrong)
I really, really appreciate your recommendations. This is the first of many barrages of questions! :)

Cheers,

Christina
Christina, answers are in above quotes, and WELCOME!!!! good luck :clap:

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
speakers: a set of components up front is most likely what you are after. that is all i run. as far as choices go, it is very personal. i am a big fan of zapco speakers, amplifiers, and processors. i am not sure what your budget will allow for, but they are definitely worth considering. as far as impedence goes, you will want 4 ohm models. anything other than that isnt very common in a coaxial or component.

amplifiers: your choices are limited to whatever fits under the seats if that is what you are stuck on. if i could convince you to mount your amplifiers elsewhere, i could make a recommendation, but as of now, anything i would recommend wont fit in that location. 5 channels are more popular these days, however to get anything with decent output, it is going to all be in one chassis too large to fit under the seat. two amplifiers are your only choice. a good two channel, 200-300 watts rms per channel at 4 ohms stereo is a good starting point.

woofers: given your taste in music, a sealed box is the way to go. i am a fan of ported, but they are more finicky with design. i would recommend a pair of 10"s. you will want more cone area to get the volume on the upper notes, which your taste in music has the most of. once again, the ideal location is not on the shelf, so if it must be, go for an unloaded wicked cas. once you come up with a budget, i can suggest an amplifier and woofer setup. i wouldnt go for anything less than 1000 watts with a good damping factor.

to make things easy, if you give me a budget for speakers, amplifiers, and woofers, i can get you in the right direction.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the insights!

Briman, to respond to your questions...

I am very much wanting to keep this install as unobtrusive/clean as possible. And I don't want to sacrifice cargo space (two big dogs, definitely need all of the rear area.)

So I am going to have to keep the sub enclosure on the shelf in the factory location. As for the amps, I'm still thinking under the seats, but if there are any other hidden locations I can put them I'd be open to considering that.

In terms of budget, I'm trying not to get tooo out of control, but I'm also going to have this truck for a long time so I want to put in something I'll be happy with and not have to upgrade anytime soon. For the front components, the sub/enclosure and respective amps, I'd like to keep it around $1500, but could probably go to $2000 if need be. (I'm hoping I'll be able to work a pretty good discount on the truck itself, given gas prices, so that will help me justify the cost!) I'm also interested in knowing what I'll need from A to Z, in terms of dash kit, harnesses, speaker and power wiring, and anything else. Planning to Dynamat the doors and other areas I can get to easily, too.

Again, thanks soooo much for your help, I appreciate it tremendously!

Christina

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Thank you so much for the insights!

Briman, to respond to your questions...

I am very much wanting to keep this install as unobtrusive/clean as possible. And I don't want to sacrifice cargo space (two big dogs, definitely need all of the rear area.)

So I am going to have to keep the sub enclosure on the shelf in the factory location. As for the amps, I'm still thinking under the seats, but if there are any other hidden locations I can put them I'd be open to considering that.

In terms of budget, I'm trying not to get tooo out of control, but I'm also going to have this truck for a long time so I want to put in something I'll be happy with and not have to upgrade anytime soon. For the front components, the sub/enclosure and respective amps, I'd like to keep it around $1500, but could probably go to $2000 if need be. (I'm hoping I'll be able to work a pretty good discount on the truck itself, given gas prices, so that will help me justify the cost!) I'm also interested in knowing what I'll need from A to Z, in terms of dash kit, harnesses, speaker and power wiring, and anything else. Planning to Dynamat the doors and other areas I can get to easily, too.

Again, thanks soooo much for your help, I appreciate it tremendously!

Christina
all together, you are going to need a dash kit and harness (both available from best kits, the best kit and still the same price as the rest), power cable ( i would run 1/0 gauge from the battery), a t-block style distrobution block, some 4 gauge for from the block to the amps and amps to the ground, and signal cables. you will need some 1/4" mdf to build the plates for the doors to mount the 6.5" in a 6x9" hole. well work is in desperate need of a slave, so i must rock.... To be continued.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, all -

Okay, I have my install specifics nailed down...

Alpine IVA-W505 HU
Zapco Reference Blue 6.25" components (with tweeters in stock dash location)
PDX-2.150 to drive front comps (under driver or passenger seat)
Wicked CAS box, 2 x 10" JBL W1s (in stock location)
TMA 500-watt mono amp for subs (under driver or passenger seat)

So now, I need to know (from a total newbie perspective, and I can't find this kind of detail ANYWHERE) what I need in terms of materials and tools for this install.

Briman said this:
And I have a couple of questions...
you are going to need a dash kit and harness (both available from best kits, the best kit and still the same price as the rest) CHECK.
you will need some 1/4" mdf to build the plates for the doors to mount the 6.5" in a 6x9" hole CHECK.
- Power cable ( i would run 1/0 gauge from the battery)
- a t-block style distrobution block - FUSED OR NOT? ANY OTHER SPECS I SHOULD LOOK FOR?
- some 4 gauge for from the block to the amps and amps to the ground
- signal cables

I'm guessing I don't need a capacitor?
What about fusing - how/where?
And, patch cables? For the speakers and the subs? (And amps?) Are the inputs/outputs to all this stuff RCA, or what?

Thanks - I enjoy these sorts of projects and follow directions well, but need all the details! :)

Christina

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Hi, all -

Okay, I have my install specifics nailed down...

Alpine IVA-W505 HU
Zapco Reference Blue 6.25" components (with tweeters in stock dash location)
PDX-2.150 to drive front comps (under driver or passenger seat)
Wicked CAS box, 2 x 10" JBL W1s (in stock location)
TMA 500-watt mono amp for subs (under driver or passenger seat)

So now, I need to know (from a total newbie perspective, and I can't find this kind of detail ANYWHERE) what I need in terms of materials and tools for this install.

Briman said this:
And I have a couple of questions...
you are going to need a dash kit and harness (both available from best kits, the best kit and still the same price as the rest) CHECK.
you will need some 1/4" mdf to build the plates for the doors to mount the 6.5" in a 6x9" hole CHECK.
- Power cable ( i would run 1/0 gauge from the battery)
- a t-block style distrobution block - FUSED OR NOT? ANY OTHER SPECS I SHOULD LOOK FOR?
- some 4 gauge for from the block to the amps and amps to the ground
- signal cables

I'm guessing I don't need a capacitor?
What about fusing - how/where?
And, patch cables? For the speakers and the subs? (And amps?) Are the inputs/outputs to all this stuff RCA, or what?

Thanks - I enjoy these sorts of projects and follow directions well, but need all the details! :)

Christina
Briman will have more indepth answer...but you will want to fuse at the battery. I am unsure about the capacitor. I have always had a cap for my installs, but many would say you don't need it because it just acts as a band aid for a bigger problem...

You will want RCA's to run from your headunit to your amps. you will want 1-2 channel for your mids and highs, and 1 - 2 channel going to your sub amp. I am assuming you aren't running rear speakers.. or the rear pillar speakers...

I purchased 6m cables which worked well, but my amps are in the rear of the truck on the shelf, since yours are under the seats you'll probably want only 2 - 3m.

I found pretty decently priced wiring @ Welcome To The KnuKonceptz Online Store

1 - 7 of 7 Posts