Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
speakers: a set of components up front is most likely what you are after. that is all i run. as far as choices go, it is very personal. i am a big fan of zapco speakers, amplifiers, and processors. i am not sure what your budget will allow for, but they are definitely worth considering. as far as impedence goes, you will want 4 ohm models. anything other than that isnt very common in a coaxial or component.

amplifiers: your choices are limited to whatever fits under the seats if that is what you are stuck on. if i could convince you to mount your amplifiers elsewhere, i could make a recommendation, but as of now, anything i would recommend wont fit in that location. 5 channels are more popular these days, however to get anything with decent output, it is going to all be in one chassis too large to fit under the seat. two amplifiers are your only choice. a good two channel, 200-300 watts rms per channel at 4 ohms stereo is a good starting point.

woofers: given your taste in music, a sealed box is the way to go. i am a fan of ported, but they are more finicky with design. i would recommend a pair of 10"s. you will want more cone area to get the volume on the upper notes, which your taste in music has the most of. once again, the ideal location is not on the shelf, so if it must be, go for an unloaded wicked cas. once you come up with a budget, i can suggest an amplifier and woofer setup. i wouldnt go for anything less than 1000 watts with a good damping factor.

to make things easy, if you give me a budget for speakers, amplifiers, and woofers, i can get you in the right direction.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Thank you so much for the insights!

Briman, to respond to your questions...

I am very much wanting to keep this install as unobtrusive/clean as possible. And I don't want to sacrifice cargo space (two big dogs, definitely need all of the rear area.)

So I am going to have to keep the sub enclosure on the shelf in the factory location. As for the amps, I'm still thinking under the seats, but if there are any other hidden locations I can put them I'd be open to considering that.

In terms of budget, I'm trying not to get tooo out of control, but I'm also going to have this truck for a long time so I want to put in something I'll be happy with and not have to upgrade anytime soon. For the front components, the sub/enclosure and respective amps, I'd like to keep it around $1500, but could probably go to $2000 if need be. (I'm hoping I'll be able to work a pretty good discount on the truck itself, given gas prices, so that will help me justify the cost!) I'm also interested in knowing what I'll need from A to Z, in terms of dash kit, harnesses, speaker and power wiring, and anything else. Planning to Dynamat the doors and other areas I can get to easily, too.

Again, thanks soooo much for your help, I appreciate it tremendously!

Christina
all together, you are going to need a dash kit and harness (both available from best kits, the best kit and still the same price as the rest), power cable ( i would run 1/0 gauge from the battery), a t-block style distrobution block, some 4 gauge for from the block to the amps and amps to the ground, and signal cables. you will need some 1/4" mdf to build the plates for the doors to mount the 6.5" in a 6x9" hole. well work is in desperate need of a slave, so i must rock.... To be continued.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts