Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All -

I'm new here, obviously, and even more new to FJ off-roading. I have 125 acres here in WV., all well off the main roads, with several miles of trails I've built over the years winding up, down, around, and through the property. Many miles, actually, though I never stopped to get an exact figure.

I have a Yamaha Rhino that I've had on every trail here, a large tractor that can go on every trail but 2 (too steep for a tractor), all the trails are at least 8'0 wide., and run through the forest.

In addition, the roads out here are routinely used for atv/utv poker runs (all are dirt roads, some with creek crossings), and we're not overly far from civilization either.

How many miles of trails to y'all look for when you think of a get-together/bash? I have several areas of the property that would be great for camping (meadows I keep mowed), a pond, and of course our home for emergency use.

Y'all may require more running room, I don't know. But, it's a possibility, if some of you can enlighten me on what your requirements are.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Sounds like a really good place...are most of these trails just on your land? 125 acres isn't really that big...but then again it just depends on the layout of the land and how you made the trails thru it. Can you use the surrounding land that ajoins your property?

Post up some pictures showing some of the features..obstacles...trails. Sounds like you have a very intresting place...Did you plan to open this to the public as a ORV Park?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know 125 doesn't sound like a lot of room, but it actually is. It's ridge & hollow country here, and the trails I've built go everywhere, and there are a lot of them.

I essentially encompass 4 ridges that funnel down into bottom land, and the trails run at various levels around those, as well as up and down. There are over 25 "runs", all with different views, various grades, and obstacles. The latter consist mostly of water (creeks) and some rock.

It's certainly not an endless state park with offroad options. However, it is very unique. Further, the dirt roads leading to and away from my property are a 4-wheeler's favorite, and all open to the public, so one wouldn't be restricted to just my 125.

I have no plans to open it to the public for use, but would consider an "event" if enough were interested. The camping and get away possibilities are also, I believe, very appealing. But, I own it and built it, so I'm going to be a little biased. Heh.

It may not be what y'all are used to or would want, but the offroad challenges would be fair to high on several of the trails.

·
Registered
41 Posts
All -

I'm new here, obviously, and even more new to FJ off-roading. I have 125 acres here in WV., all well off the main roads, with several miles of trails I've built over the years winding up, down, around, and through the property. Many miles, actually, though I never stopped to get an exact figure.

I have a Yamaha Rhino that I've had on every trail here, a large tractor that can go on every trail but 2 (too steep for a tractor), all the trails are at least 8'0 wide., and run through the forest.

In addition, the roads out here are routinely used for atv/utv poker runs (all are dirt roads, some with creek crossings), and we're not overly far from civilization either.

How many miles of trails to y'all look for when you think of a get-together/bash? I have several areas of the property that would be great for camping (meadows I keep mowed), a pond, and of course our home for emergency use.

Y'all may require more running room, I don't know. But, it's a possibility, if some of you can enlighten me on what your requirements are.
I'm in WV also. Where are you located. I'm in the eastern panhandle. If you aren't confortable with placing it on the forum, PM me. We run around my area quite a bit and would love to come your way.
thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Sounds like you got a real intresting place...I have some Kin up in the Tri-City area of Wheeling. I was planning to visit sometime in the end of May or June...I think that would be real kind of you if you had a little meet and greet maybe camp over...I would like to visit and see your place.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I would say your next step would be to get a count of trail mileage and then try to give each seperate trail (or run) a rating. For simplicity's sake I would just rate easy, moderate or difficult. My guess is that the ones you can't get your tractor up would be moderate or possibly difficult. Is the soil rocky or soft with lots of mud? Another thing would be to invite a local driver with some significant 4X4 experience to come and check out your land. If I was closer I'd be glad to do that.

Alan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live about 45 minutes outside of Parkersburg, if that helps in terms of the area.

I'll map the trails over the next week, and post the info. I'll also take photos of the interesting areas and put 'em up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.