Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found shackles that will work with the All-Pro rear bumper?

Just picked up a 4th kind today with the hopes that they'd fit, but yet again, not wide enough.

So far I've gone through Smittybilt, Rugged Ridge, Warn and a generic that I found at Jax locally.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, the opening isn't wide enough to fit around the mounting points.

For good measure, I checked a 5/8 as well (same problem).

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
That's pretty dumb they would use steel so thick that the most commonly used shackle for our weight vehicles, 3/4" pin, won't fit.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Are you talking about the receiver hitch? Stock recovery point?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Are you talking about the receiver hitch? Stock recovery point?
Sounds like he is talking about the recovery points on either side of the bumper where you would place the pin side of a shackle.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I had forgotten about the "new" design with the points built in.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, I am talking about the 2 recovery points to the outside of the bumper itself.

Here is the pic from their site. My camera battery is charging so I can't snap one of my own.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Sorry, I am talking about the 2 recovery points to the outside of the bumper itself.

Here is the pic from their site. My camera battery is charging so I can't snap one of my own.

While I highly agree that it shouldnt be necessary, here is what I would do.
Take a grinder to the side of the mounts until the standard size shackle fits. Then repaint. If you don't have a grinder, just borrow one.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While I highly agree that it shouldnt be necessary, here is what I would do.
Take a grinder to the side of the mounts until the standard size shackle fits. Then repaint. If you don't have a grinder, just borrow one.
Wow, I must really need some sleep. That hadn't even come close to crossing my mind.

Good call. Now I wish I had posted my question before the weekend was almost over. Oh well, looks like I know what I'll be doing next weekend.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
You're not trying to thread the curved portion through are you? ;p

It looks like 3/4 pin should work, but that's just from looking at a picture...

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Have you tried contacting Allpro to see if they have shackle that fits?

I don't think the pin size is the problem, it is the span between the yokes on the shackle.

Do you know what the dia of the hole is?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Have you tried contacting Allpro to see if they have shackle that fits?

I don't think the pin size is the problem, it is the span between the yokes on the shackle.
Correct, but larger pin sizes have larger width openings.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Correct, but larger pin sizes have larger width openings.
True, I just edited that post to include the question on hole diameter to see if it would accept a shackle with a larger pin.

A 1" pin would give him 1.44" between the yokes.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Nah, I looked on AP's website and specific data on the recovery point wasn't available. Though, looking at it, I am not sure why they used a thinner material and then sleeved it as opposed to the "industry standard" of using some beefy, thick metal for the recovery points.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Maybe they thought the sleeve would help spread the load across the entire pin?

Or for looks?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Maybe they thought the sleeve would help spread the load across the entire pin?

Or for looks?
There are a couple reasons why, but what i am saying is why not use thicker metal instead of that.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I agree with Layton, thicker would be better-esp. if the pull isn't completely straight. That said, I would prefer to pull from the stock point on the frame then from the bumper.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts