Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dry Camping Build Design. My 2007 FJ Cruiser which I purchased from the dealer when it arrived....it was fully loaded ....including "Boombox".lol Now at 221k miles I'm preparing to do a Storage Compartment and Bed Platform Build with the goal of minimum expense, and yet allow for flexible and practical use. I have attached copies of my Design for the benefit of the Forum members.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Very nice. Looking forward to seeing the finished build.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Which program did you use for the diagrams? I took drafting class many moons ago in college and it was before CAD software was widely used, so everything was drawn/written by hand. I really like the layout.

How much will the platform weigh?

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which program did you use for the diagrams? I took drafting class many moons ago in college and it was before CAD software was widely used, so everything was drawn/written by hand. I really like the layout.

How much will the platform weigh?
Sounds like we had the same "drafting classes"!! I don't have CAD software either. In this case I took the detailed measurements of the interior and rear of the FJ then drafted the 3 views by "hand"....then I scanned it in JPEG format...then opened the JPEG in Microsoft "paste", which allows some additional line work, coloring and text call outs....wala! It's a slow process, however,it works for me.
Far as weight....I'm guessing under 200lbs....not including what contents....it's basically 3 sheets of plywood. To keep the weight down I didn't include a full base to the Carcass....just 2- 1x6 anchor boards.
I've itemized the materials costs and I'm hoping to be around $500....the most expensive items are the full extension drawer slides...the 2 pair cost is about $265.
I'm planning to start the build today...I'll post progress pictures.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
This is awesome Thanks for posting your plans. this kinda stuff is what these places are for. i keep so much junk in the back i cant find ANYTHING. haha im sure some can relate...

side note... got any pics of ur progress?

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ThanX, This week I've been non-stop building the rear Storage Carcass for the eventual Drawers.I'm hoping to install it in the FJ tomorrow....just waiting for the Top Platform stain to dry. I plan to give a complete overview of the building process....in summary form....including dumb mistakes....when I'm complete with the build. Next week I'll begin the Drawer build. Attached are pictures in sequence of the Carcass build. If any questions just let me know. Jack
1 FJ Cruiser Storage Build Carcass Carboard Template.jpg

·
Registered
206 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for providing the plans free to everyone on the site. I am sure they will be used as reference for years to come. Know that you will have a part in anyone's FJ that uses your plans for reference.
Love the pocket holes. My boys are just getting old enough to learn and hopefully comprehend/ retain some of the do's and don'ts of woodworking and tool safety. Yesterday was a first go for my 11 yr old with a framing nailer and pneumatic crown stapler for the fence surrounding our new garden. Missed a bit, but we will call those character and he will hopefully have that memory for a long time.
Sorry. Tangent. Thanks again and looks great. Keep posting.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Last week I completed the build of the Storage Compartment Drawers. Without the advantage of having a table saw and other cabinet shop time saving tools ....it takes considerable more time to layout and cut the Drawer parts ... the good news I got it done ... utilizing small handheld power tools and circular guides. In review of my Design you'll note I utilized 3/4 inch Birch ply for the Carcass and 1/2 inch Birch Ply for the Drawer construction. Assembling .... the larger Drawer I utilized the "pocket screw" method and ... with the smaller Drawer I utilized the "dado, glue & brad nail" method. Both have their drawbacks ... using pocket screws with 1/2 inch material one must be super careful in over torquing the 1 inch screws where they do not go through the adjoining 1/2 inch material and ... using a handheld router to dado is time consuming, considering the set up requirements. It was a tough week .... time wise .... but the Good News, got it. Following will be the final finish install details.
18 FJ Cruiser Storage Build Carcass installed in the FJ.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jack
Man am I super impressed by your design, and workmanship. Looking forward to seeing more pictures. Good pictures also. I was born, and raised in Denver.
That f.j chose you! Because it knew you would love it!
Great stuff

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the past few days I completed some of the finish details of my Build ... including .... the "Drawer Front" .... the Small Drawer cubby compartment ... fitting the Bed Platform extension ..... installing the hinges for the pop up Bar Top, the Bed Platform rubberized mat and the 4 Bed Platform "Tie Downs". Utilizing the pop up hinges that I purchased required some adjustment to operate reasonably .... the cost was very reasonable might have something to do with this.lol I was wrong to consider the "piano hinge" to attach the Bed Platform extension ..... there is not enough head room to allow it to fold over onto the Bed Platform ... I ended up attaching it with a "VelCro' strip. Now time to "wrap up" .... see the attached doc and pictures ..... I will follow up with my material cost breakdown and vendor list in the next few days. Oh, this site does not have ability to upload videos .... so if you'd like to see a short video of the operation of the Build ... just email me at [email protected] or text me at 678-858-1977. Wrap up on finishing My Toyota FJ Cruiser Build.jpg

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts