Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge. Just got my first FJ a few days ago, and had a few questions. Previously was driving my wife's Jeep Liberty (Hey, no laughing...). Here in Utah, we'll get a massive snow storm on the spot, and then 5 miles and 5 minutes later, it might be sunny and 50 degrees. In the Jeep, once I hit the snow, I just let off the gas, reach down and pull it into Part-Time 4WD... and that sucker RIPPED through the snow. NO PROBLEM! Was test driving this FJ after a recent storm last week.... Wasn't sure about the shift-on-the-fly, so I stopped, put it in "N" and popped it in 4-Hi. Started driving and saw on my dash the "VSC off," which I assumed was Vehicle Stability Control that was turned off. Driving in the snow, that worried me, even though I have no idea if it would affect it. Either way, it drove O.K., but it wasn't like the Jeep in Part-Time. Anyone offer me any advice and/or suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
What tires are on that FJ? That makes ALL the difference. .....:bigthumb:

·
Registered
934 Posts
I had a liberty as a company car for a couple of years and my FJ will drive the the liberty into the ground in the snow if equiped with the correct tires. I work up at Alta and last big storm we were coming down the bypass road and there was about a foot on the side of the raod and there was a Rubi off the side and being the nice guy that I am i pulled over and drove around him and got out and pulled him out. I have had zero concerns in the snow in my FJ

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm guessing you have an auto based on the 4HI usage. Under 50mph you can shift into 4HI, for 4LO you need to stop and put it into N.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was test driving this FJ after a recent storm last week.... Wasn't sure about the shift-on-the-fly, so I stopped, put it in "N" and popped it in 4-Hi. Started driving and saw on my dash the "VSC off," which I assumed was Vehicle Stability Control that was turned off. Driving in the snow, that worried me, even though I have no idea if it would affect it. QUOTE]

I just bought my FJ a month ago and had the same question. I have a 6 speed manual, but it will work the same. The key in shifting into 4HI on the fly is to let off the gas and then shift. You will see the center differential lock light appear, meaning that you now have 50% power in the front wheels and 50% in the back wheels. You may not realize that the FJ Automatic Transmission is 2WD until you put it in 4H. (The manual transmission is 4WD full time.) If you leave the snow covered road and hit dry pavement again, you will want to take it out of 4H so the center differential will be active again. If you don't take it out and try to make a 90 degree turn on dry pavement, it will sound like the transmission is going to fall out. If you need more info on the use of the center and rear differential, post again and I will follow up with some good links that others referred me to.

Also, to reiterate the prior post, you have to stop the vehicle to move to 4L. (Owner's Manual says less than 5 mph, but why risk it - just stop).

The VSC will disengage. Read more on this forum about VSC. As I understand it, the primary use is hydroplaning and not snow conditions. (I don't know much about VSC so defer to others on that issue.)

·
Registered
268 Posts
" I have a 6 speed manual, but it will work the same. " :rofl: Congrats on the FJ, now take the time to learn its characteristics. AT does not have a center differential like the 6spd. 4wd in the AT is only meant for driving offroad or where traction is compromised (snow, gravel, sand etc). 6sp has center diff allowing fulltime 4wd with no drivetrain damage. There are lots of posts about the differences between AT 4wd and 6spd. Search function is your friend.:cheers:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! I run 285/65 R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers. According to the guys at the tire store, a very capable all-terrain tire for all weather conditions, as well as most stuff offroad... Was that not true? Mind you, "FJames" (potential name for him) came with this on him already, though I was looking at them for the last FJ I almost bought...

It's good to know that I can still shift on the fly in this bad boy. I'm sure I just didn't give him a chance to see how he performs. I've just been keeping him in 2wd for now. Good to know about the manual being a full-time 4wd (yet another reason why I should have grabbed the first one I was looking at a few months back!).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts