Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A forum member, Ron, has approached me about making a shift pattern plate for our FJ's. The old FJ40's had them, and now that guys like he and I have swapped out our knobs, we have no reference for shifting. No big deal for me, but when my girlfriend goes to take the FJ and I have parked it on the hill in Low 4... I know she will appreciate it!

Question number 1. Do you have any pics of the FJ40 style shift plate?

Question number 2. Would you be interested?

For 2WD we can have these patterns:

AT (if needed?)
MT6

For 4WD:

AT plus T-case
MT plus T-case

You inchworm guys can have them too if you want a plate that spans your dash! :lol:

I might screw mine to the dash, but double sided 3M adhesive would work fine as well. Ron is thinking above the glove box, since our glove box is not really in a good viewing angle to go in true heritage FJ style.

If we can get 10 members or so interested in each type we can have them laser etched. This gives a little better definition than my CNC engraving.

Looking at about $40, shipping included if I can squeeze it. If not, might be a couple more bucks to cover postage. I'll have a graphic designer do up the patterns (forum member dconstruck) so they look really sharp, and include the hardware and/or double side tape.

Soooo? :D

I am knee deep in summit badges right now, and after that Mike and crew get machine time for emblems, but we could still potentially get these done before the summit if all moves along well.

Thanks,

Joel

·
Registered
365 Posts
I can't say I'm in yet... if the price were lower, I'd do a T-case only... I just can't see paying more for a badge than the TRD knob from the dealer! (the grey one for the quickshifter) If this turns into something affordable, I'm definitely in!

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never thought of just T-case only... :thinkerg:

If we can get more people per type, this means I have less to make up for the setup charge for laser etching, so I will adjust the price downward as much as possible.

There is a reason volume production yields the better deals! :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
i think the t-case is an awesome idea....have something that matched the AT shift pattern or set something up for both?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Aw bummer... I thought you said shift GATE. :)

How do you like my FJ Lambo?

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
I'm in Joel. A pic would be good for confirmation though, even a computer rendering.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
^^^ You Know... A SHIFT GATE !... ;)...

I have a vinyl sticker right now on my dash,
but I nice plate to match the oldskoolz' one
would be quite kool !...

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^ You Know... A SHIFT GATE !... ;)...

I have a vinyl sticker right now on my dash,
but I nice plate to match the oldskoolz' one
would be quite kool !...
Okay stop teasing me... :rofl:

I may be an idiot, but I REALLY don't know what a shift gate is!

I saw your sticker in your build up thread Bandi, definitely a good idea. My knob came with a sticker but only for an MT6 (no transfer case) and I couldn't decide where I could put it that it wouldn't look odd. It was a silver sticker, had it been vinyl I would have stucked it! :lol:

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
LOLOL... here ya go Joel, an Example for ya' !... ;)...

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
So instead of a boot you have a billet plate called a gate? Kinda cool... I guess... :shrug03:

Thanks Bandi! :lol:
It's just that it reminded me of the Ferrari... It would
not work for the Fj since the stick itself is attached
directly into the trans' and would have to much free
play and hit the gate and rattle away, as appose to
using linkage as the Ferrari, and many newer cars do...

·
Registered
279 Posts
What about a cover that just goes over top of it ? Made out of thin aluminum

Will hide the silver stock one

1 - 20 of 20 Posts