Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have a feeling when this one gets answered I am going to hide in shame but "the "R" stands for reverse" I need to ask.
I have been shopping for a used FJ for a about 6 months now and may have finally found one, I took one for a test drive today and am a bit confused.

On the shifter (not exact picture but similar to the one below) there is 4D and once the shifter has gotten to that point you can slide it left or right and on the console, also pictured it displays as 4 or D depending on the selection.

Am I correct in assuming that the D = overdrive on for highway driving?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
All your questions on the newb sections are protected from flaming. You are correct in all your assumptions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, down to the last $300 margin of the negotiating process before I join the FJ nation.

·
Registered
297 Posts
See, when you ask simple questions like that and it gets answered, the other half of us collectively go .... "ooOOhhh.... huh.."

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
while were asking newb questions i got one, whats the difference between the 4d-2l compared to the hi-lo on the smaller shifter on an automatic? Every car ive driven had the hi-lo switch below the stereo so im not familiar with this set up. Thanks

·
Registered
671 Posts
The FJC allows you to use anywhere from one to all five of the forward gears. Most other automatics I have driven, only give you the choice of using first and second, third, or all five. The 4-D you are referring to is two separate gear selections. The 4 position allows the tranny to only go up to 4th gear and not use overdrive with D indicating overdrive (5th gear). The 2-L is the same kinda deal. 2 means that the transmission will use first and second gear but will not go into third or higher. Selecting L will make the tranny stay in first gear not using the other 4 gears.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Selecting L will make the tranny stay in first gear not using the other 4 gears.
Very handy for steep offroad declines when engine braking is preferred for a slow , controlled decent and no wheel lockups.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
No dumb questions as far as I am concerned. We were all there once. Heck I went to change the oil in a Tercel back in 82 and I drained the tranny instead.....Refilled the oil and wondered why it sounded funny when I started it? Then it would not move when I put it in drive.....oops.

Been there....done that

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
No dumb questions as far as I am concerned. We were all there once. Heck I went to change the oil in a Tercel back in 82 and I drained the tranny instead.....Refilled the oil and wondered why it sounded funny when I started it? Then it would not move when I put it in drive.....oops.

Been there....done that
Thanks for the answers, funniest thing thats happened to me was I tried to take apart my dirtbike myself and put it back together but at the time i didnt know about ft pounds for each screw. So the next day I was at the track riding it and my subframe and exhaust pipe fell off. :lol:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
another noob here, hoping i can piggy back on the OP's initial question...
whats the point of the neutral on the transfer case lever?
I believe you keep it in nuetral when you don not need to use it much like when you turn off a manuel you keep it in neutral rather than 1st

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad to see a couple other newbies got questions answered.
Thanks for the input, basically the low gears are for your basic low gear applications, if your pulling something heavy for a short distance (recover) 2-L is your friend. I have been using 4 around town and 4D when I hit the highway.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
another noob here, hoping i can piggy back on the OP's initial question...
whats the point of the neutral on the transfer case lever?
I believe you keep it in nuetral when you don not need to use it much like when you turn off a manuel you keep it in neutral rather than 1st
I am not 100% sure why transfer cases have a neutral position other than something to do with shifting from low to hi, but it is not like a manual in that sense. On some vehicles being able to put the transfer case into neutral is required for towing. Since the FJC has to be on a flatbed (or some other way of towing with all 4 wheels off the ground), that doesn't matter. Shifting the transfer case in to neutral on an auto (and putting it in park) without using the parking brake would allow the vehicle to roll away. Same on a manual with putting it in first when parking and not using the e-brake, nothing would stop the vehicle from rolling away if you put the transfer case in neutral.

There really isn't any reason to shift the transfer case into neutral and leave it there. You will experience bad grinding unless you shift quickly past neutral.

The "D" is also for 5th, and then overdrive as well. Drive on the HWY in 4, and then shift to D, after you shift to D the RPMs will drop twice, 5th, and then overdrive. I don't know why we don't have an overdrive off button. 5th would be fine for towing most loads with a relatively stock FJC. But 4th gear runs really high RPM when going ~70MPH.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts