Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My foot's adapted to the extent that I'm shifting up from gear 1 to 2 fairly smoothly, but the "clunk" is still there. Apparently this issue's been noticed by more experienced drivers as well, see the link below.

It'll probably never have a clutch as buttery as a BMW's, but is there a fix or some adjusting of the FJ's clutch that could be done to at least partially remedy this?

CustomTacos.com Forum - View Single Post - APR X-1 engine controller install and review

The X-1 is pretty advanced. Lots of very cool features like dynamic active fuel control and engine guardian.

Dynamic active fuel control means it is always retuning its self and doing whatever it needs to keep the AFR where it is supposed to be even at full throttle.

The engine guardian will kick in if the engine overheats or if the X-1 can't get and keep the AFR where it is supposed to be. Like if your fuel filter gets plugged up. The gaurdian will kick in and derate the power to protect the engine.

For the manual transmission guys one of the most impressive features is it pretty much eliminates that herky jerky 1st to 2nd gear shift. It makes it act like a normal vehicle when shifting.

I am installing another one of these systems tomorrow for a customer.

There was a recent $200 price increase, but URD still has a few left in stock at the old price if anyone is interested in one.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Gadget

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
I've notice the 1st to 2nd "clunk" too and have to work to keep it smooth. Don't always get it right. I also noticed that the X1 apparently eliminates the problem.

Now if I could only find an X1.

·
Registered
169 Posts
mine was a loose motor mount:D that and i know i drive my truck hard but i went under then checked my engine and tranny mounts and found one slightly under torque spec so i tightened it up and had no more problems:D. learned this one from my old cavalier i used to blow motor mounts on

·
Premium Member
12,956 Posts
IMO it is not the clutch that's the problem, I find that the drive by wire throttle is slow to respond to user input. I find I have to be on the gas a little earlier to offset the lag between input and response. When I am on it everything is smooth as Molson, when I get lazy I get the clunk.

·
Registered
99 Posts
IMO it is not the clutch that's the problem, I find that the drive by wire throttle is slow to respond to user input. I find I have to be on the gas a little earlier to offset the lag between input and response. When I am on it everything is smooth as Molson, when I get lazy I get the clunk.
Same here. I've also found that if I shift at higher rpm, I don't get any clunk...

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rats!...

I was suspecting that higher RPMs would be the "solution."

Let me guess - the clunk likewise isn't there when shifting on an uphill incline, when one delivers more gas.

I find it silly that we have to be extra careful when shifting between gears 1 and 2 - this has never been an issue on the non - DBWire manuals I've driven in the early 80s, and it shouldn't be an issue today.

I'm actually tempted to have an APR X1 installed JUST to eliminate this little bugger of a problem.

Toyota shouldn't have done this, really...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts