Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the FJ down its first muddy trail and i shifted from 2 wheel high to 4 wheel high with no problem. It did not want to go back into 2 wheel high unless i stopped and put in in neutral. Is this correct?
Also, driving down a dirt road in 4 wheel high is not bad for the drive system is it?

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
No,

You can shift from 2HI to 4HI at any time (safely up to 50mph or more)
and back in to 2HI without stopping

You will have better results engaging or dis-engaging 4HI if you are going straight.
:ninja:

·
Registered
150 Posts
mine too, I think I remember reading something about it in the manual, I usually don't stop completly to shift back just shift to neutral while rolling and back to drive. any loose traction situation will not hurt the 4X4, in fact if you don't use it much it will do it good to lubricate everything.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
No,

You can shift from 2HI to 4HI at any time (safely up to 50mph or more)
and back in to 2HI without stopping

You will have better results engaging or dis-engaging 4HI if you are going straight.
:ninja:
I heard anything under 30 but I have no clue. Then again the only reason I shift into 4HI is if im traveling pretty slow to begin with.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
As above you can shift between 2H and 4H at any speed up to 50 mph. To shift into or out of 4L you must stop and put the transmission in neutral before shifting.

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Shifting back and forth I find a smoother transition if the wheels are straight and I let up on the gas pedal, if it still resists, I turn the wheel slowly from left to right and it usually slides right in or out.

DEWFPO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts