Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be normal but wanted to check with the rest of you...

While driving down the road and shifting from 2H to 4H (usually going around 30-40mph) sometime it wont engage or disengage for miles going down a straight road even when I pull to a stop and continue driving. But when parked on the driveway, I seem to have no issues at all going from 2H to 4H and vice versa.

I've also noticed that shifting into 4L (with transmission in N), if I shift fast and hard into 4L everything is fine, but if I slowly and gently shift it, it feels like something is grinding, the shift vibrates a LOT in between shifting it into 4L and it makes a "grrr" sound.

Are either of these situation "normal"?

·
Premium Member
7,448 Posts
When moving the lever from 2hi into 4hi it should engage instantly with lights on the dash indicating 4WD about 2 seconds later. I've never had mine go back to 2WD without moving the lever back to 2WD myself.

Mine can grind 4lo occasionally like you're saying. But not loudly, usually just enough to feel through the knob.

The knob will vibrate a little while you're driving, that's normal.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
When I bought mine new I was told that I could shift from 2H to 4H if I was driving at least 50mph. Maybe 30mph is to slow :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine can grind 4lo occasionally like you're saying. But not loudly, usually just enough to feel through the knob.

The knob will vibrate a little while you're driving, that's normal.
That sounds pretty much the same then as for 4L.

Not sure what's the deal with 2H to 4H though. The other day I drove down a straight stretch of road, shifted it into 4H and it never engaged even after driving a few miles. Then a few weeks ago I had it in 4H and couldn't get it to disengaged back into 2H until 2 city blocks later.

But sitting on the driveway with the truck on it always shifts in and out of 4H instantly.

·
Desert Moderator
6,033 Posts
Difficulty shifting 4H > 2H is likely because of drive line binding. I believe that you are supposed to come to a full stop to shift into 4L, but can be moving when going 4L > 4H.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I found when shifting from 2H to 4H that the lights on the dash usually didn't come on until I lifted off the gas just a little (like clutchless shifting on a motorcycle, take the pressure off the gears for a moment and it shifts easily.)
We had snow where I live last week and the first day I had no problems shifting (while moving) from 2H to 4H, but the next day the lever would not move. I stopped at a light and put the transmission in N and it still wouldn't move. Not an issue of shifting and the lights not coming on, the lever just wouldn't move - it felt like I'd break it if I pulled any harder. Not wanting to fiddle with it on the road, I went home, reversed into my driveway, put it in park, but on the parking brake, and then it shifted from 2H to 4H very easily. I then went back out and it shifted between 2H and 4H (and back) easily while moving. Not sure if it was reversing, being in park, on a slight backward hill or what that allowed me to move the lever. Every once in a while, the lever doesn't move easily from 2H to 4H, but this time it just would not move - until I reversed and parked.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Someone wrote that shifting 2H to 4H should be performed when driving over 30 or 50 mph. Mine would shift from 2H to 4H at any speed up to 50 mph. The reverse process was true also. I agree with the poster that suggested easing up on the accelerator (coasting) to make the transition smooth. Sometimes if the change from 4H to 2H didn't take (dash lights still illuminated), I would move my tranny from Drive to Neutral (while moving) for a second to take all the binding (torque) out of the drive train. A stubborn transition from 2H to 2H would then occur.

When shifting from 4H to 4L (must be stopped), I would shift to neutral, let off the brake pedal (on a non rolling angle), wiggle the steering wheel (ensuring all drive train components are free from bind), then shifting (minimal pressure) from 2H to 2L (and opposite) would result in a smooth shifting transition.

Anyway this always worked from me.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
From the 2014 Owner's Manual:

■Shifting between H2 and H4
●Reduce your speed to less than 50 mph (80 km/h) and shift the frontwheel drive control lever from H2 to H4.
If you have trouble shifting in cold weather, reduce your speed or stop the vehicle.
●If the four-wheel drive indicator does not go off when you shift from H4 to H2, drive straight ahead while accelerating or decelerating, or drive in reverse.
■Shifting between H4 and L4
Stop the vehicle, shift the shift lever to N and shift the front-wheel drive control lever.

I always come to a complete stop and put the transmission in Neutral before ANY shifting of the transfer case, and have never encountered any difficulty shifting, although there occasionally is a very slight crunch when shifting into L4.

Since there is no synchronizer for L4, a quick, crisp shift into L4 will minimize the crunch, but it will be more noticeable if the transfer case lube is cold.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
When I picked up mine, it would take a while for it to shift into/out of 4H as well as engaging the locker. I figured it was because the PO didn't ever go wheeling. ever. I don't think they even drove on a dirty parking lot to be honest. But now, it goes in and out as I expect 99% of the time. Once in a great while it will take an extra 30 yards to engage or disengage. I've been pretty diligent about operating the little movers every chance I get, so now they stay lubed up and working.

·
Admin
6,867 Posts
When it's cold out it will be harder/stiffer shifting into 4Hi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts