Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2008 fj with 7400 miles. 2wd
i notice that when i shift gears (r-d or d-r) i hear noises from the rear axle. Is this normal on the fj? Do i need some service?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Have a 2008 fj with 7400 miles. 2wd
i notice that when i shift gears (r-d or d-r) i hear noises from the rear axle. Is this normal on the fj? Do i need some service?
I'm assuming when you say r-d and d-r you mean reverse to drive and drive to reverse? If you're hearing noises from the rear axle when doing this you have a problem. Which axle? Passenger or drivers side. Or is it coming from the differential? Surely you don't go from reverse to drive while the vehical is still moving backwards?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Have you greased your driveline? That would be the first thing to try I think.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's when i shift from rev to drive or opposite. Not when the fj is moving of course. It's like a creaking sound. It's not a silent transition.
How is the driveline greased?
Should i take it to toyota? I mean it doesnt affect the func of the rig at all it's more of a personal thing. I dont like noises.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You may want to have someone (mechanic or handy friend ) check the drive line ( universal joints) to see if they are shot. Generally when you can hear a clunking sound when shifting from drive to reverse its an indication that one or more of the universal joints are shot. The grease fittings are sometimes hard to see.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I need input, I have notice a high pitch noise from my engine when I shift to parked and it goes away when I change gear..etc..drive, reverse. Is this a transmission problem? only happen when after the transmission fluid change.
I am thinking the shop puts a low quality fluid or low level fluid. Feedback would be appreciated. thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts