Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been here in a while, but I have a 6" RC lift. I've had it for about 2 years now, and over all I'm pleased...

But its always rode a lil rough. RC says it is a problem with my install or a bad part. Over the last year I've had everything checked out, and I've come to the conclusion its just the way the lift rides...I call my FJ my mini dump truck, because I bounce along on any lil bump on the road with hardly any give...

My offroad shop says its the rear shocks that come with the RC kit.

Does anyone have some good recommendations for a pair of shocks for the rear that have a factory like ride quality (soft) on the road, but aren't horrible off road, and will accomadate the extra 6". (I spend much more time on road than off, so I'd prefer soft on the road)

The only option I have found is Radflo, but they want 220 for each shock. I'm looking for something like the bilstein 5100 which are 200 for a pair.

Also, my offroad shop keeps trying to talk me into putting the bilstien 5100 on the back, but from what I can tell they are only ment for 2.5" of lift. Anyone have the 5100's on their FJ with a 6" lift...

Thanks in advance for all the help...

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I bought a set of Nitrogen Skyjackers... You can order them any size. Great ride!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well icon seems to be a hit...

Do they have the monotube in 6" lifted applications...

Or would I be forced to go with the piggy back rear shocks (which are a little more than I wanted to spend)

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Are you sure the spring rate isn't too hi. If you are bumping down the highway it seems you arent getting enough compression on your springs. If the spring is too stiff you would get the symptoms you describe.
Just a thought
thanks
Don

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm using the springs that came with the RC kit, I was told they are the same rate spring as the factories...just taller...

BUT, I could have been told wrong, I've been told several un-truths when it comes to RC kit...

I honestly (with my small amount of knowledge) initially thought it was the rear springs too, but the guy that does all my work said its "most likely" the shocks, not the rear springs...and he has no affiliation with RC, so he's not pulling anything...he does nothing but offroad and lift applications, and he said you almost always have to replace the shocks that come with lift kits, because they are always to stiff for the road

anyone know what rate spring comes with the RC kit, and what rate factories is?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can attest to the problem being the rear shocks supplied by Rough Country for the 6" kit. I split my install of my 6" RC lift over a couple days and the first thing I did was install the rear shocks with the still installed rear coils from the ProComp 3" kit. The ride was noticeably horrible immediately. It was equally painful with the 6" coils installed the following day. With the low temperatures here in Edmonton Alberta, Canada, it feels like the rear suspension might cycle only 2" or less in daily driving, it really feels like it almost doesn't move at all.

I somewhat patiently awaited the release of the ICON piggybacks for the rear and ordered them immediately along with the 6" front coilover with remote reservoirs. Install should happen this Sunday. Looking forward to a useable rear suspension again.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
well i'm glad i'm not just a puss or something, I've been riding on those stiff shocks for two years...

I did a search and the rate on the stock spring is 190 lbs

The rate on the RC 3" lifted rear spring is 16% higher at 220 lbs

I don't think that would make the rear as stiff, as I'm experiencing...but thats assuming they didn't up the rate with the 6" extended springs...

BlackDogGuy, we seem to be in the same boat, let me know how your ride changes with the new rear shocks...

Here are the spring values i found, unfortunately no 6" RC info, i might call them sometime this week before I drop some cash on new shocks

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-tech/41898-rear-spring-comparison.html

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So I went with the radflo coilovers and radflo shocks. Glenn with radflo said he could have them valved for a softer factory type ride instead of the offroad type ride (considering I drive my FJ everday, and only go off road once every 6 months or so)...I decided Icon was more than I wanted to spend (1100 for the entire setup from radflo, versus 1900 for icon)

For the front coilovers and rear shocks it was 1100 and included the street ride valving...I'll post pics and let everyone know how this changes the ride...

I just hope I don't go through this expense and trouble, and its stiffer or just as stiff

Oh and the rear spring rating on the RC 6" springs is the same rate as factory (per Ben at RC), they are no stiffer...so it has to be the rear shocks...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm using the springs that came with the RC kit, I was told they are the same rate spring as the factories...just taller...

BUT, I could have been told wrong, I've been told several un-truths when it comes to RC kit...

anyone know what rate spring comes with the RC kit, and what rate factories is?
Oh and the rear spring rating on the RC 6" springs is the same rate as factory (per Ben at RC), they are no stiffer...so it has to be the rear shocks...
I will have to disagree with Ben on that one. I have the RC6 and the rear springs are waaaay stiffer than the oem springs. I have two reasonings behind this: First off, when I took the RC6 springs out of the box, I noticed right away that they springs were alot thicker than the stocks(even a little thicker than the OME 896 heavies that Ive used in the past). Second, I have a heavy boat and do alot of towing. Not to mention I have been thru many rear springs, the oem, rc3, rc3 w/ firestone airbags, Old man emu 896 heavies and now the rc6 rear springs. Lemme tell you this, out of all those springs the rc6 are the stiffest springs I have yet to use. When I would hook my boat up with the OME heavies I would drop about 1 3/4" in the rear and with the RC6 springs the rear drops 1 1/8" when I hook my boat up. Therefore, I disagree with the RC6 springs being the same as the stock rate.

Second of all the rear RC6 shocks compress and rebound a whole lot different than the OME and DirtLogics I have used. I have noticed that with the shocks taken off the truck, if you compress the rc6 shocks they do not rebound by themselves. If you do the same to the OME or Dirtlogics they rebound very quickly. I think that has alot to do with the ride comfort in the rear. Not to mention when I ran the OME heavies in the rear, I changed shocks to see if there was a difference and there was. So please update with the new radflo's.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I kinda figured, it is really hard to get straight forward information from anyone at RC...I'll try the new shocks and coil overs to see if they make for a softer ride, if they don't Ill order the fab tech rear spacer next and go back to my stock springs

Or maybe I can have some made from a custom spring shop with the same rate as stock

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Oh i wasnt trying to be rude or anything, and ben has definately been helpful in the past, but I've been told some BS from people at RC before...

When I had squeaking and popping from my lift the first two weeks I got it, someone at RC told me to have the rear sway bars flipped...which is total BS, because A) that wouldn't fix a noise issue, B) the rear sway bars are meant to go in one way to clear the gas tank...Turns out my squeaking and popping was due to loose shocks, which a couple washers fixed, and I finally figured that out on my own with no helpful input from RC...The only thing the advice from the folks I talked to at RC led to was me making two trips to the shop to have my rear sway bars flipped back to the way they should be so I wouldn't pop my tank

I get the feeling some people with RC will just tell you anything to get you off the phone...I think they often deny issues instead of dealing with them, which maybe from a business standpoint is the wise thing to do, but as a customer its frustrating...(numerous people on here complain of vibrating, rough rides etc, and have had to find their own fixes...and if RC was straight about the issues, everyone wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel and find their own fix each time)

it all depends on who you talk to from RC i guess...

And I sure do hope he was being straight with me, it would save me a lot of trouble if the RC 6" extended coils are the same rate as factory...ill measure the gauge of the factory coil and the RC coil tomorrow, should be a simple way to make sure

Overall I'm happy with the lift, and I think YOU take a risk when you alter any factory suspension on your daily driver, but some straight forward info would just make it easier for me to get the ride out of it I want...with out having to figure things out on my own, i mean I'm no mechanic, just have some common sense...It shouldn't be so hard to find the exact rating on the rear coils and shocks...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I installed the front ICON 6-7" coilovers with remote reservoirs on my FJ this past Sunday. Install went well, not too many surprises other than a snapped bolt on the RC front spacer upon removal. I was surprised to see that the icon reservoirs and the RC upper arm bumpstop worked well together without interference, Jeremy from ICON was concerned that they had only tried remote reservoirs on one other FJ with the RC6 and there was some concern about that.

I tried to use ICON's front sway bar relocator with the RC kit, but as it turns out, with the much larger steering knuckles, you must remain using the RC sway bar relocator brackets in order to clear the knuckles with the sway bar endlinks.

Initial impressions are good, the ride quality is excellent. I installed the icons as delivered in terms of height adjustment, but the front end has settled lower than it was with the RC spacer and stock strut. I should note that I don't even have the stock bumper installed right now, so I imagine once my Demello bumper is installed when it comes back from powdercoat, it will sag quite a bit more. Once I receive the spanner wrench that was lost in shipping I'll be adjusting them back up.

As for the rear piggyback shocks, they were shipped out about a week and a half ago and they are en route somewhere between California and Canada right now. I am looking forward to installing them when they arrive.

I'd like to thank Sean at Outlaw Offroad for the great pricing on the ICON products, and the great customer service. I'd also like to thank Jeremy from ICON for the great customer service and for sending me the small bits that were lost in shipping (not their fault) with no questions asked. They've also sent me two new heim joints for my rear lower ICON arms that had the early run of heim joints that made noise, thanks! I'll likely swap my Light Racing upper control arms for ICON arms in the near future just to show my support to ICON for what they do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts