Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into these Shock Guards by Bullet Proof Fabrication and was curious if anyone had these and what are your thoughts on these.

Mind you I love the fire service roads and scenic trails but I hit the rock gardens in Tahuya, WA Spring thru Fall.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Have not seen the BPF take on the rear shock kids. I run the FJTOYMAN rear shock skids, as do a lot of others on the forum. The FJTOYMAN's look beefier too. Love them. (not just because they use a picture of my rig on their website) They really take a beating. One of the most important skids in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Just looked at that picture again. I put boots on the rear shocks to protect the shock shaft. Not sure if the BPF's protect the bottom of the shock like the FJTOYMAN's. FJTOYMAN's do not protect the shock shaft at all.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,909 Posts
Same here - FJToyman skids and acordian rubber boots on shaft (y) The skids have been badly beaten for years, yet still completely functional - thicker metal that the BPF skids I think. Good you’re adding this type of protection! The shaft protection is important because stones hitting it will create pits which then can compromise the seal and cause leaking. It happened to me...destroyed a shock. Best/easiest way to do the boots is simply cut them open, zip tie to the shock body and lower mount- letting it be open at the slit is good because then mud and water can’t get trapped inside which would also hurt the shock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another option, which I use, is the ICON shin guards.
Stainless steel, encapsulates the lower shock mount and has a plated extension that protects the shock shaft from impact and road debris.

http_://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop/individual-components-accessories/129--fj-cruiser-stainless-steel-lower-shock-shin-guard.html

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I hit my Shock hard enough to bend the shock mount👎 My Fjtoyman. Skids still look great. And yes that is dirt on my FJ

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all! I have messaged FJ Toyman in regards to shin guards.

I can not say enough about how much I LOVE this forum!!!

Thank you ALL!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A:
I hit my Shock hard enough to bend the shock mount👎 My Fjtoyman. Skids still look great. And yes that is dirt on my FJ
[/QUOTE
HA HA Glad to see dirt on your FJ!!! :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have not seen the BPF take on the rear shock kids. I run the FJTOYMAN rear shock skids, as do a lot of others on the forum. The FJTOYMAN's look beefier too. Love them. (not just because they use a picture of my rig on their website) They really take a beating. One of the most important skids in my opinion.

Thank you I appreciate it! Already messaged them!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same here - FJToyman skids and acordian rubber boots on shaft (y) The skids have been badly beaten for years, yet still completely functional - thicker metal that the BPF skids I think. Good you’re adding this type of protection! The shaft protection is important because stones hitting it will create pits which then can compromise the seal and cause leaking. It happened to me...destroyed a shock. Best/easiest way to do the boots is simply cut them open, zip tie to the shock body and lower mount- letting it be open at the slit is good because then mud and water can’t get trapped inside which would also hurt the shock.
Hey Deb! Think I'm gonna miss Summit again this year but wanted to thank you for the thorough message! As always I love info and learning. I have never seen these on anyone before ... is this what you are talking about?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,909 Posts
Howdy! Happy to see your build progressing 👍 Yes those type boot - just slit em open and zip tie tightly to top and bottom of each shock. Take off the zip ties every once in a while (or after muddy wheelin) and clean out, then replace - simple! 😊 Also, the boots come in many cool colors lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet! Will order a pair tomorrow. Happen to have a gift card for 4WheelParts!!! WOOT WOOT!!! Thanks Deb 😁😊

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
604 Posts
Those KAON ones look more for guarding against rock chips, not rock crawling. They look way to light duty to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts