Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have. 2011 FJ from Japan (RHD) and noticed it came with red shocks that had a hose which looks like it runs to a hydraulic pump. Anyone knows about these ? It’s all factory. See pics. Looks for some details.. what do you do if you upgrade the shocks ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
It looks like an hydraulic adjustable setup.

Any pictures of where the hoses lead to?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,765 Posts
Most likely hose runs to a remote reservoir for the shock. And the mount for the rear shock is larger than US spec. Interesting...looking forward to more pics!

·
トヨタ Master
5,832 Posts
Looks like a KDSS on a 4-Runner, it’s an anti-roll setup me thinks. @CabinCruiser what do you think?
If the rest looks like this, then I would say yes, it may be a prototype that we never saw here in the states.

If it's true KDSS, the whole system should resemble something like this:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok.. so I took further look under chassis.. the line runs to a reservoir tank with the line on one end coming out the other. The line coming out runs along the chassis over to the other side and back to another reservoir and onward to the other rear shock. The front looks like they run a line over to each other.. looks similar to the diagram you put.

The reservoir are located on the chassis under each door on either side...

See the pic..

Looks like a KDSS on a 4-Runner, it’s an anti-roll setup me thinks. @CabinCruiser what do you think?
If the rest looks like this, then I would say yes, it may be a prototype that we never saw here in the states.

If it's true KDSS, the whole system should resemble something like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok.. it’s the Xreas system for sure.. looked at some videos online.. did the FJ in the states come with them ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also have a 2017 Tacoma Pro. The ride of the FJ on these Caribbean roads is so much better... taco is rigid and bumpy.. FJ is much more comfortable to drive.. wish some of the roll was less and the braking dip.. was planning to put on the TRD FJ springs.. but think they are too tall for the stock shocks...

·
トヨタ Master
5,832 Posts
Ok.. so I took further look under chassis.. the line runs to a reservoir tank with the line on one end coming out the other. The line coming out runs along the chassis over to the other side and back to another reservoir and onward to the other rear shock. The front looks like they run a line over to each other.. looks similar to the diagram you put.

The reservoir are located on the chassis under each door on either side...

See the pic..
I bet its more like the XREAS system on 2003-2009 4runner Sports. If so you could post this/search over there and get more suggestions.

If you upgrade the shocks its possible to remove the lines at certain spots along the system and not leak oil.
Yes, now with seeing the Control Absorber in your pic, I think @Iconic_ is absolutely right.

And you can remove the entire system if you wish to do so. Unless you plan to lift, I'd probably leave it alone if it's working properly.

·
トヨタ Master
5,832 Posts
I also have a 2017 Tacoma Pro. The ride of the FJ on these Caribbean roads is so much better... taco is rigid and bumpy.. FJ is much more comfortable to drive.. wish some of the roll was less and the braking dip.. was planning to put on the TRD FJ springs.. but think they are too tall for the stock shocks...
The problem with the '17 Taco is that it is quite lighter in the front than the FJ, which will give it a different ride, and the shock valving and spring rates are quite different. Unless you are adding some heft to the front, the FJ springs will make it ride even stiffer. Keep in mind that the Tacoma is also a truck, and the FJ is an SUV, which are typically engineered to ride smoother. The towing capacity on the FJ is also about 2000# or 907kg less than your Tacoma, so they aren't built to handle the same. Tacomas also have leaf spring rear suspensions vs coil spring like our FJs, so a little more rigidity there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts