Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A group of us here in Virginia are planning on doing an trip to Shoe Creek Virginia and thought you might like to attend. It would be Saturday, August 23rd 2008.

Anyone who attends has two options here:
1.) You can come and camp out over night with a group of us (this involves caravanning up on Friday afternoon, camping Friday night & Saturday riding. If you would like to stay over Saturday night and possibly do another run on Sunday morning that is always a possibility. The camp site has a creek running through it and there is plenty of space to park the FJ's and set up tents. There is a fire pit, and just a good time for hanging out, talking, drinking some beers or Soda (which ever you prefer). Depending on people's feelings we'll either eat something prior to camp or cook out once there.

2.) Theother option would be to meet there Saturday morning with the other group coming from Farmville at 9 a.m. (about 30 minutes from the trail head). They meet up at the Toyota dealer (where most of them work). From Norfolk Virginia its about a 3 hour drive ( South west of Charlottesville).

As usual this is a laid back group of people. For those who have never been there, there is only one porta potty at the end (near the hiking entrance to Crab Tree Falls), so figure on using nature's facilities. The trail is fairly stock friendly. My first trip I made it through with a completely stock FJ with 12K miles on my dunlops. We usually stop and eat luch half way through, so you would probably want to bring some grub even if you don't camp out.

The GPS coordinates to the trail head are:
37' 47.263 N
079' 06.173 W

VA FR 826 (for those that have a Delorme Virginia Map)

The trail head is near Alhambra, VA (so if you map quest it, you will see Perkins Mill Road. The start is at the end of Perkins Mill Rd near Alhambra on the right).

From Food Lion/Gas Station shopping center in Lovingston, VA

Head South on Thomas Nelson HYW / US-29 / VA-56 W (approx 4 miles)
Turn Right on VA-158/VA-56/Tye Brook HWY (1.1 miles)
Right on Roseland Rd (3.2 miles)
Roseland Rd becomes VA-655 (0.0 miles)
VA-655 becomes Roseland Rd (0.7 miles)
Sharp left on VA-151 / Patrick Henry HWY (0.1 miles)
Right onto VA-56 / Crabtree Falls HWY (1.8 miles)
Left onto Dickie Rd (1.6 miles)
Turn left to stay on Dickie Rd (1.0 miles)
Dickie Rd becomes Jack Hill Rd (2.0 miles)
Turn Right onto Perkins Mill Rd (2.5 miles) Stay right on Perkins Mill Road (<1.0miles) to Shoe Creek Trail Head

If you are interested in going let me know (by PMing). You can also search Shoe Creek on the forum and see some of the photos we took from our last trip. This is going to be a good time. Hope you can make it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i'll give you a bump just cause

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
My schedule changes frequently, but I'm penciling it in. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
291 Posts
counting wesayso, i now have 5 fjs, 4 landrovers, 1 jeep, and 1 chevy going. I have several more maybes but none of them are sure.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
counting wesayso, i now have 5 fjs, 4 landrovers, 1 jeep, and 1 chevy going. I have several more maybes but none of them are sure.
Sweet. I am trying to wrangle up 2 more FJ's...one being a strong possibility. Do you know if the trail is crowded this time of year. Snice I'm going to be camping at the starting point the night before, I want to make sure it's not overly crowded. It was nice on the last trip when it was only three of us camping there.

So as I see it we have a definate 12 vehicles, plus possibly 2 more. Looks like it will be a good run. Might have to break it into two groups and meet for lunch.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in, assuming I survive Harlan. I can't believe some here don't come to Harlan. It's a wicked place!
Little too far for me this time around, but maybe next time. Asof right now we have 12 vehicles coming, and I'm working about 8 more FJs. This will be a good turn out. It seems like we're going to have at least two groups. It every person invited shows, we'll probably have to break it into 3 or 4 teams.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I'm in, assuming I survive Harlan. I can't believe some here don't come to Harlan. It's a wicked place!
I agree completely. We should be off the beaten path a little more this go around.

Depending on my work schedule I may be able to come up for this ride. Another week or so and I should know for sure.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
That would be sweet if you came up. Shoe creek is not a big ride but it's a nice ride.

Needin an alloy how much :)

I agree completely. We should be off the beaten path a little more this go around.

Depending on my work schedule I may be able to come up for this ride. Another week or so and I should know for sure.

·
Registered
291 Posts
well just got to figuring up the numbers and we are definatly gonna have to split it up. I have another 5 to add to the numbers: 1 explorer, 2 jeeps, 1 more chevy truck, 1 more landrover. I wish i had as much money as i do time because i just got the brakes and swampers on my old Range Rover but have not had the money to finish the steering linkage and all the legal stuff (insurance, tags, inspection). It may or may not have taken a quick trip down the road the other night after dark.....Man those tires are loud.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Hey-Me & my buddy from Roanoke are going to be camping up that way Friday night (by Crabtree Falls), then hitting the trails that Saturday morning...where are you guys going to be setting up camp...the meadows???

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally, some people replied. I thought eveyone forgot about this run. It's definately going to be a good time.

If anyone has questions PM me and I'll fill you in.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is great, lots of support and vehicles coming. We'll have to coordinate some offical communication for the group that's coming in on Saturday morning and those of us camping out Fiday night. Since I will be camping Friday night anyone can contact me about rendevuing and heading to the camp sight. I will also give my cell phone # to whom ever is going to be the lead vehicle for Saturday morning. PM me if you have any questions.
I'll continue to check this post along with the South East region post until next week and then we'll do a final coordination a day or two before the run.

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
I'm planning to be there. I'll need to get info on the group coming in Sat morning. I'll be driving up from the Burlington NC area Sat morn so I'll meet with them.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts