Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
How mechanically inclined are you? Do you have friends that are mechanically inclined?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Do you have the right tools or have a friend who has the righ tools. How much time can you spend on this and can you get by for more than a day without being able to drive your FJ. How good are you at making up new cuss words when things go south.

If you are half skilled with the right tools and friends with enough cold beer you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Just like these guys have said, if you have messed with suspension components before and know the pitfalls and safety concerns that come with suspension mods and are mechanically inclined to an extent and have tools(meaning more than a few screw drivers and a socket set :)) you should be ok. If you have never dealt with these areas of a vehicle before, you should start to learn and do a lot of reading and searching on the subject. If you are itching to get it on and lack the experience take it to a shop, even see if they will let you watch the process. I am just going on no information here. If you have done some of this before, go for it, in reality it pretty easy, you just have to know how to do it safely.

You dont know how many times I have seen guys try and swap springs or something similar and shoot a spring all the way across a shop because they had no idea how much pressure it was under, they could have easily killed themselves. That is why I keep my eyes peeled when I do things at an "auto hobby shop" on one of the many bases in my area....some dudes are so inept, I have seen their vehicles fall right off a frame lift.

So be careful and good luck

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is it the spacers or suspension? I just had a shop install the procomp 3" suspension lift for me, and I'm glad I did. I was going to attempt the install myself until I found out that I would need to mess with a spring compressor, or take the pro comp fronts to a shop halfway through the install to have them assembled with the stock top plates. I found a mechanic to install mine on the side for $200! The other shops that I talked to wanted around $450.... Anyway I love my set up, post some pics once yours is installed.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I did mine myself (pro comp). I did it with the help of a forum member who had the knowledge and tools. The install was less difficult than I thought it would be. I did need to use a shop to put the front strut and coils together ($30) because the compressor I had wouldn't work.

I saved about $500, gained a new friend, and learned about my FJ in the process. Check your area, there are usually people that will help you.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Where are you located? Most folks will lend a hand for food & drink.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Where are you located? Most folks will lend a hand for food & drink.
Exactly! Hook up with the local FJ guys. I'm in Northern California, and we generally have an install day about every three or four months. And for the ones that don't have anything to install, they go to help and drink some beer.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Get with all the local FJ Guys, set a date, fire up the Grill, stock the fridge with Beverage of choice, and have a Meet and wrench day. :rocker:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I have a fully loaded shop at my use but no real experience with suspension or anything really under the wheel well lol
I'm in mt.dora Florida to if any of you guys live around here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so i finaly got around to puting on the lift im 17 and me and my buddy got it on in about 7 hours. i was suprized how simple it is to install.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts