Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I feel your pain. ive been looking for a 2010+ Green with a backup camera. everything is either above my limit $28k or has high mileage (50k+ miles). If i do find one, its in the salt belt.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm not ready to run 2 hours from home for an early 07, even though I really like it. There's an 08 locally but it's tan and I don't love the color. It's also over 100,000, which doesn't really bother me, but I'm in no hurry.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
To avoid the weak diff issue, shoot for '08+.

Good luck!
It doesn't seem like a bad deal to to buy a $17,000 07 with ~80,000 miles and rebuild the rear diff if needed. I drive about 7,000 miles a year so as long as I keep any rust at bay, it should last me a long time.

Making the trip a couple hours north later today. Planning on coming home with something blue. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks. It looks showroom inside, outside, and under. New tires that still have the paint stripe on them, a fresh alignment, it's just great!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats Kevin. I am in the same boat as you. Looking for a 2010+ with less than 80k miles, with a budget of around $26,000. I'm glad I read this thread as I didn't think of rust/salt issues. I am in Michigan, so it's a good 6-8 months of that crap up here... Looks like I need to look down south some more...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome! I'm new to FJ ownership and the forums as well. I will say that Buffett's comments are on the money. Expand your search area. I drove 5 hours each way to get my Factory Certified 2010 TT edition 6 speed manual. I was lucky enough to find 2 2010 TT editions (one an automatic and the one I bought) in state. I used the 2 dealers against each other in pricing to get the manual down in price (6 thousand less than the automatic on the other coast). I probably over paid but in Florida these things are holding their value incredibly well.

Buffett's list of FJ's has some nice vehicles on it. Find the newest model you can find in your price range and fly to it if you need too. I wouldn't worry so much about mods or miles as long as service records are available. You are gonna get bitten by the bug and want to change everything anyway (if you are anything like me).

I love my FJ. And the wife likes it so much I may be in the market for another one with an automatic for her before I know it. She got the hand me down 2008 4wd Honda Pilot.

Edit! Duh! Guess going to the last page of the thread would have been a good idea!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow what a resourceful thread for someone on the fence justifying a little extra for a newer FJ. I'm still searching and came upon an 07 with 45k miles for around $20k. Kind of skeptical of how it already had 4 owners with only 45k miles.. Might just have to expand my search further it seems.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Buying a 2010+ with ~50K miles for $24K versus a 2007 with ~80K+ miles for $20K makes no sense to me, but that's me.
Funny, I initially was looking at the cheapest FJCs out there, high mileage and at least somewhat rusty in the $14K or higher range...the more I learned about the mechanical issues and looked at the price/value situation, pretty soon I ended up just where you are saying. A pristine 2010 with 50K miles, from the SW US so zero rust, for about $24K.

Sorry, I didn't explain the process I used. Obviously, before you put out money for a plane ticket you're going to take care of a lot of stuff over the phone. Work with a reputable dealer who will be honest to you about the condition of the car. Negotiate the price in advance. In fact, the nice thing about this deal is that you can show the salesperson cars in other markets that are cheaper than theirs. Like I told the sales guy on my most recent purchase, "I'm flying somewhere, I don't care where. You pick. I can fly to buy your car for $X, or I can fly to Houston to buy this other car for $Y." You'd be amazed at how well this works.
Well stated. I have done the fly and drive several times for the right vehicle. If you do your homework it can work well. You still have to be willing to walk away if you smell a scam when you see it in person, though.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
My biggest problem was not being financially ready to take on another vehicle. I'm making some sacrifices and had a couple lucky breaks to even afford to be where I am.

My wife and I are well on our way to having everything paid off except our house. I was gambling on my Jeep lasting another 3 years though but I had an issue I couldn't solve... Until a couple weeks ago.

That's what set me frantically looking for an FJ. I understand the risks associated with what I have but I'm not anticipating any issues. Despite nth dreams, until I live somewhere where trails are more accessible, nothing I have will ever be offloaded hard.

I'm not a mechanic, but I can do a pretty good impersonation of one, and I have a platinum AAA membership to get home on.

I'm doing a few things to my old Jeep to get it ready for sale. Getting rid of it will let me get my RTT and awning. The rest I'll probably just bank in case of gear problems or for a real lift.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts