Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right place for this... I mean the tranny is connected to the engine, right?

Well I thought I would do this install myself. I read through URD's instructions a few times and each time I read them, I get more concerned that I don't have the skills to do the job. Secondly, how important is it that I use a torque wrench because I don't have one!

For those who have done it themselves, how did it go?

If you're in Chicago and have the tools, I have the beer! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Re: Short Shift Kit Install

Shouldnt be too hard, and some auto parts stores loan tools. You got some good folks in the Chi town area who should be able to help ya if you're not so confident.
BTW where did you get it and how much?? I'm looking for one of these also.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts

That was my first mod last year! I didn't torque it only because I did not have the tool. It's a really easy mod. You do not have to be mechanically inclined to do this. The instructions were right on the money. Gadget is the URD guy on here. I'm sure if you ask nicley he'll answer any questions you have.

$99?!?! That's a great deal, congrats!

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts

99 is seriously an awesome deal. I didn't know URD was makin em. The TRD is up around 400 bucks or somethin ridiculous like that. Great find!!

·
Premium Member
46 Posts

Anyone able to take a picture of their URD Short Throw and post it? I'm curious what they look like installed. Same with the TRD one if possible.

Thanks!

Bill

·
Premium Member
259 Posts

I hope this is the right place for this... I mean the tranny is connected to the engine, right?

Well I thought I would do this install myself. I read through URD's instructions a few times and each time I read them, I get more concerned that I don't have the skills to do the job. Secondly, how important is it that I use a torque wrench because I don't have one!

For those who have done it themselves, how did it go?

If you're in Chicago and have the tools, I have the beer! :cheers:
it was pretty stright forward, i dont think i used a torque wrench--i did it with german specs--gutten tight. no problems 7k miles now.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts

Anyone able to take a picture of their URD Short Throw and post it? I'm curious what they look like installed. Same with the TRD one if possible.

Thanks!

Bill
trd= shorter stem, but longer travel.
urd= longer stem but shorter travel.

i know it doesnt make any sense, but this is what me and my brother came up with when we compared our short shifters.:lol:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts

It makes sense. I got my URD kit when it was 150 and the TRD was around 350. The URD's throws are 11% shorter than the TRD 44% vs 33%. If you have trouble getting into reverse, it is improperly installed and not seated. When it is in correctly, it should feel pretty much stock other than the shorter throws.

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts

Not to be rude, but I have to ask - What are you doing installing a short throw shifter on an SUV?

Is a wheelie bar on a minivan the next plan?
So you're not rowing a boat in traffic all the time?

·
Registered
58 Posts

So you're not rowing a boat in traffic all the time?
It's a truck, the length of the shift never bothered me for a moment. I've had a WRX with a short shifter, and I now have a miata with a short enough stock shifter. For those cars it can make a difference. But an FJ...? Who cares? I'm assuming no one races these for the obvious reasons.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts

Not to be rude, but I have to ask - What are you doing installing a short throw shifter on an SUV?

Is a wheelie bar on a minivan the next plan?
I guess you've never been 25 feet up skimming the top of a sand dune bowl and need to shift quickly or roll down sideways. :rocker:, Not that easy with the stock setup, well not as easy as the short throw anyway.

Also some of us have converted to offroad vehicles. Not much SUV left on mine that I know of.:rofl:

·
Registered
624 Posts

It's a truck, the length of the shift never bothered me for a moment. I've had a WRX with a short shifter, and I now have a miata with a short enough stock shifter. For those cars it can make a difference. But an FJ...? Who cares? I'm assuming no one races these for the obvious reasons.
There are people out there racing them, but you don't have to race a vehicle to appreciate shorter throws. It's personal preference and what you're more comfortable with.

I guess you've never been 25 feet up skimming the top of a sand dune bowl and need to shift quickly or roll down sideways. :rocker:, Not that easy with the stock setup, well not as easy as the short throw anyway.

Also some of us have converted to offroad vehicles. Not much SUV left on mine that I know of.:rofl:
FTW

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts

Just because its a truck doesn't mean it has to drive like a piece of crap.

I raced my FJ last week against my friends VW GTI, it was actually a very close race The FJ took him off the line and had about 3 car lengths on him through 2nd gear then once I shifted into 3d it was game over for me as I watched him real me in and pass me. It was fun, and relatively safe top speed around 70.

This is on my list of things I want to do to the FJ.

But for a off road reason you can look and read Funjunkies post again. Some of us like to play were speed is needed and quick shifts come in handy.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts

sorry to quote myself but
just an example of when the STS came in handy, check the guys in the beginning skimmin the bowl, the vid doesn't do the danger justice but seriously if you missed a gear and bogged down you woulda rolled it all the way down.
YouTube - SURF N TURF 07

1 - 20 of 60 Posts