Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to doing this mod after taking in the advice of an older post...

After unscrewing the A/T shift knob, I then re-threaded the shaft as far as I can go (the diameter eventually increases slightly) before cutting off 2". Decided to utilize my original shift knob which is actually modular. You can shorten the A/T grip/handle by removing the bottom cone trim, then body, and lastly the second trim piece. Tabs basically hold everything together. I didn't document it with pictures, but you'll have to cut down the inner plastic skeleton that is permanently attached to the grip in order to shorten it. I took the rubber grip and lower cone trim and attached both with clear VHB tape. Since the cone is slightly larger in comparison to the bottom of the grip, I added a silicone o-ring to clean it up. If you don't want it to taper at the bottom with the cone trim piece, you can still utilize the second trim piece which still looks pretty good (3rd Image). I left enough of the inner skeleton to easily slide that trim piece back if I wanted to change it up. I also decided to heat shrink the metal shaft with some black marine grade wrap to give it a cleaned up appearance. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results. Still looks factory and best of all, didn't cost me a thing.

IMG_8324.jpeg IMG_8321.jpeg IMG_8294.jpeg

·
Registered
07 FJ
9 Posts
Look at that cute little stubby boi

This is pretty neat though. When I first got my FJ I was always bothered by the height of the shifter, but it's crazy how many of us are just used to it now.

I'll keep this in mind if it starts bothering me one day. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I shortened mine a while back too. I threaded it down to where the diameter starts to get a bit bigger, then ran my lock nut down, then cut it to where I wanted. I then removed the nut, cleaning up any threads. I then installed my newly acquired shifter ball.

Now being bored at home, I may try and shorten it even more. Just not sure about the bigger diameter and the current thread tap will work.

·
Registered
505 Posts
That's neat, but the stock height made one heck of a wrist support.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts