Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m interested in purchasing an 07 manual fj. The FJ I’m considering to buy has 144,000 miles, clean title, 2 owners, and service records from the dealer. They are asking $16000. Im keeping my daily commuter car and only plan on using this FJ for backpacking trips and maybe Sunday drives. It’s completely stock, but I plan on modifying it with a “3 Toytec lift and 315/70/17 BFG’s . Looking for advice from all of you FJ MT owners.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Sounds good, post photos.
Note a 3" lift will require a lot of changes (cut the front body mount, install longer upper control arms, and so on). Typically, 2", or 2.5" is the limit without all of those other changes required.

·
Owner: G3 Offroad
2,201 Posts
Note a 3 inch lift Will not require ( cutting the front body mount ) The reason people cut the body mount is to make clearance for larger tires . This has nothing to do with installing a lift kit . If it was me and i was building for moderate off-roading I would add a 3 inch lift using 2.5 coilovers and stick with 285 tires . When you get into the 315 you will have a lot of extra work to do .In addition to the extra work to get them to fit you will want to regear (yes you can drive around with the stock gearing but your FJ will not be very happy ) so add in that cost as well .

·
Registered
2007 FJ Rock Rails, Tow Pkg
61 Posts
Yes a great decision but I am only speaking from a stock vehicle. I have a manual and in low 4WD in 1st gear the FJ can climb a wall. It will take you anywhere you want to camp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes a great decision but I am only speaking from a stock vehicle. I have a manual and in low 4WD in 1st gear the FJ can climb a wall. It will take you anywhere you want to camp.
Thanks! Good to know! How many miles do you have? Have you had to replace the clutch? I’ve seen some posts about having to replace the clutch every 40,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
13,654 Posts
Thanks! Good to know! How many miles do you have? Have you had to replace the clutch? I’ve seen some posts about having to replace the clutch every 40,000 miles.
Only from abuse.
190k mi on the OEM and still going strong. I tow with it.

Reactions: amaclach

·
Registered
2007 FJ Rock Rails, Tow Pkg
61 Posts
I have 98,573 miles, the clutch has never been replaced but the original owner didn't abuse it, it was a "mall crawler" and garaged. Never off paved streets. I was the first to take it on forest roads through sand, through dried river beds and dirt/gravel roads.

·
Registered
2007 FJ M/T Arctic Silver 285/70/17 no BMC no Rub
670 Posts
I also have a 07 MT got 80k on current clutch, if I could do it again I would have bought an after market clutch setup to eliminate the clutch chirp....of qell I just hold the clutch in or turn the music up for now until I replace again.

Reactions: Edgarmj

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
the stock clutch is fine for 100k+ miles

less if burned up waiting at stop lights (instead of being put in neutral like an MT should be), or if used heavily while rock crawling

The only concern is the throw out bearing squeak, which is easily solved with a Clutch Masters internal hydraulic slave like this:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm the original owner of a '07, manual transmission, and have 140,000 miles on the clutch. Also I just measured my original, never replaced, brake pads and they range for 5.5 to 7 mm thick. I'm loving this vehicle.

·
Registered
2010 Army Green, a-track, diff-lock, radflo, rez links & bump, baja led,....
99 Posts
I’m interested in purchasing an 07 manual fj. The FJ I’m considering to buy has 144,000 miles, clean title, 2 owners, and service records from the dealer. They are asking $16000. Im keeping my daily commuter car and only plan on using this FJ for backpacking trips and maybe Sunday drives. It’s completely stock, but I plan on modifying it with a “3 Toytec lift and 315/70/17 BFG’s . Looking for advice from all of you FJ MT owners.
You may appreciate an automatic if you plan to 4x4 up some steep trails.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 07 manual is going strong at 190k. I changed the clutch at 180k. I would not go with that much of a lift. I would get the ARB lift and only lift it a couple of inches. You're limited by the frame not height on tire so a big lift doesn't always make sense.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought a 2007 manual transmission in 2019. It had 52k miles and I paid $18k, completely stock (nooot anymore)!!
I know these rigs hold value well, but I’d say $16k is on the high side with 144k miles

I also bought a different FJ in 2017with a manual and 124k miles for $14k.

This last one I got with low miles has throw out bearing chirp.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can't speak to the lift mods you speak of, but I bought my FJ in '06 and it's still the very best vehicle I've ever owned.

·
Vendor
195 Posts
I love the older manual transmissions. Be sure to check for rust underneath (of course), and, I strongly recommend taking to Toyota for a pre-purchase inspection. We do that with all the FJs we get in for sale. It is not a perfect process, but helpful to know the condition of the car mechanically. Cheap investment from a buyer's standpoint. And, sometimes, we have found out the hard way that a car that we thought was "perfect" needed some maintenance and/or repairs. Just better to know on the front end.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts