Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my fj no factory roof rack was included. To me some fj's can pull off the look with no rack, but mine isn't one of them. There are some aftermarket racks that I like, but I've been thinking of getting a factory rack installed. My reason for the factory rack is the fact that I won't ever have much on it. I'd like to put a shovel and a set of maxtrax on it and that's it. It may see a hi lift at some point but I'm not sure. Thoughts?

·
Registered
155 Posts
DO it! The factory rack is nice and will do just what you want it to. You can probably find one used and in great shape on your local craigslist or local on the forum. Keep an eye out and you can get a great deal and it's a real easy install to do yourself!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
For the money I'd look at an aftermarket so you can pick your favorite look. There is a roof rack comparison thread (you can search for it) that gives you a bunch of options.

Also visit the Vendor's part of the Forum since they are always running specials and you can save hundreds of $.

My experience is the factory roof rack has limited functionality, but it might still fit your needs based on your comment. You can also check the items for sale thread (or craigslist, EBAY) for used factory racks, probably can get a good deal (I've even seen where people offered them for free). But if you are paying for factory new, I'd get a better aftermarket one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Any chance of leaks after install?
Mine came with the rack already, but I think I read that you use some silicone or thread sealer on the bolts and you should have no issues...

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,874 Posts
I'd use silicone. I did when I removed my rack and no leaks

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have the OEM rack, but am thinking of possibly getting one of these in the future to add to it: Baja Rack however, its not exactly cheap and likely would need to be shipped (adding more expense).

If you can get a used OEM go for it, but I'd probably look aftermarket personally.

I also need to look into some options for possibly transporting a couple of kayaks in the future. I'd need something that can either flip down or is easy on/off or doesn't really add any height to the OEM rack as it would cause clearance issues getting in my garage.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
For the use you describe the Factory rack is excellent, It's light weight and doesn't rust do to it's aluminum construction, I have carried hundreds of pounds of building materials with out issue, I would not do it on a regular basis but for the use you have in mind it's a good rack. If you can pick up a take off for a good cost go for it, I think if you have to order new however Toyota's pricing would make the aftermarket racks the better value.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can get 20% off the factory rack so that's why I was thinking of going with it. In the end it'll depend on how much room I have under my carport after my lift.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If I didn't have the stock rack to begin with, I would probably opt for an aftermarket full rack. But I do, so I will add the Baja Rack basket soon to increase my roof cargo space. I figure why switch the OEM rack out and increase my likelihood of leaks if I can just leave it in place and add to it. Gotta have room to put a deer somewhere on this thing....lol!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I may still end up with a baja rack or maybe the arb half rack. Anyone on here have the arb half rack?

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
If you have not owned your FJ for very long, maybe wait a while to see how your rack-needs play out before buying the 20% discount OEM rack. The OEM rack is light, strong, non-rusting, but it is not very versatile for actually transporting a variety of items. I realize that as soon as I say this, I will be hammered by the smarter-than-me crowd, but it is a PIA to even haul an effing 2x4 from Home Depot on the OEM rack. Also, the guys that replace their OEM racks with an aftermarket rack are always selling their OEM rack at a way less than 20% off new price here in the classifieds. As stated above, some will even say come-get-it-for-free. The Baja rack (only one of several good alternatives) will require less roof clearance than the OEM. Like BB says, "Reconsider Baby".

·
Registered
457 Posts
If it s a $$$ thing you can get a use OEM rack. I had mine installed with purchase but if I could do it over again I would get a lower profile (flat) full rack like a Baja. The OEM really isn't that useful, too short (length), too high (tall) and odd size tubing.

My advice, do your lift and see how much room you have for the garage. If your needs don't change for what you want up there and an OEM fits in the garage, go for it. Keep in mind that you might want a more lengthy rack a few times a year, I do.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,874 Posts
For the use you describe the Factory rack is excellent, It's light weight and doesn't rust do to it's aluminum construction, I have carried hundreds of pounds of building materials with out issue, I would not do it on a regular basis but for the use you have in mind it's a good rack. If you can pick up a take off for a good cost go for it, I think if you have to order new however Toyota's pricing would make the aftermarket racks the better value.
This is another good aluminum option:

www.prinsudesignstudio.com

:rocker:

·
Registered
754 Posts
If I didn't have the stock rack to begin with, I would probably opt for an aftermarket full rack. But I do, so I will add the Baja Rack basket soon to increase my roof cargo space. I figure why switch the OEM rack out and increase my likelihood of leaks if I can just leave it in place and add to it. Gotta have room to put a deer somewhere on this thing....lol!
That's kind of where I am.

I can get 20% off the factory rack so that's why I was thinking of going with it. In the end it'll depend on how much room I have under my carport after my lift.
What kind of price are you seeing on the OEM? I thought the prices I saw for them before I finalized my FJ (deciding if a roof rack was important or not) were pretty high, at least from Toyota. I'd go aftermarket personally.

If you have not owned your FJ for very long, maybe wait a while to see how your rack-needs play out before buying the 20% discount OEM rack. The OEM rack is light, strong, non-rusting, but it is not very versatile for actually transporting a variety of items. I realize that as soon as I say this, I will be hammered by the smarter-than-me crowd, but it is a PIA to even haul an effing 2x4 from Home Depot on the OEM rack. Also, the guys that replace their OEM racks with an aftermarket rack are always selling their OEM rack at a way less than 20% off new price here in the classifieds. As stated above, some will even say come-get-it-for-free. The Baja rack (only one of several good alternatives) will require less roof clearance than the OEM. Like BB says, "Reconsider Baby".
Yep, I'd wait for an OEM takeoff and get it relatively cheap if you want to go the OEM route.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
I had the OEM rack and found the looks superior to the functionality. I replaced it with a Baja Utility rack. It is a different look from the OEM but to actually have a rack that actually works, makes all of the difference. Either way, a rack will increase noise and decrease mileage. Weigh the tradeoffs as you evaluate your needs. I am very pleased with my purchase and would recommend it even if you don't use it for a Roof Top Tent. It is multi functional and well built.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the OEM rack with OME lift kit and 285's and fit in the garage just fine still. FWIW

1 - 20 of 32 Posts