Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am in the market for a small suv and found a used FJ cruiser near me but I am not sure if it is worth it. I am going to test drive it this weekend though. It is a private seller on craigslist. Let me know what y'all think! Please be honest with me cause this will be my first true daily driver purchase. Thanks ahead of time!

Here are the numbers:

ASking price is $11500
2007 FJ Cruiser base model
4x4 w/auto transmission
150k miles
clean title
minimal surface rust on frame
apparently no frame bulge besides one small region on the front inner quarter panel
The owner has added an ARB front steel bumper, Pro Comp Lift (I believe a 3"), new JBL sound system and touch screen radio
Also the owner claims he has not taken it offroading or anything that would stress the vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why buy one with rust and quarter panel issues - when there are so many clean ones out there ?
Well, first of all I do not have a big budget here. I am only working with $15k or less, and it needs to be something local to me here in FL. Maybe I shouldn't go for a FJ with those constraints, idk.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I am not in FL, but $15K gets you a non rusted , nice stock, clean FJ. Good luck on the search. They are great vehicles. Your budget isn’t a problem at all :)(y)

·
Registered
129 Posts
If it is minimal surface rust on frame that is no problem post up some pictures if you can. There are some really good experts on here that can help you.

I suggest you do not get in hurry take your time and you will find a good one for $15K or less.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi navygator7, welcome from central Ohio!

Minimal rust and a bumper/lift upgrade? $11500 seems a fair asking price to me, but haven't looked at Autotrader or KBB recently.
See if jimmy-buffett chimes in, he wrote buy/sell guide here.
A lot of it is down to what you want and how much time you have to look. Do you like/want a lift and metal bumper - then it's a selling point. (or if indifferent, then it's a negotiating point!).
If you like this FJ, I'd arrange for a Toyota dealership to do a pre-purchase inspection even if you want to have another shop do the work. The dealership will have the most experience working on FJs.
I had my FJ fully researched and rationalized, however, I really bought it because it was awesome and in my price range. You may chose to use or ignore my criteria :D either way I hope find a great vehicle.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
31 Posts
ASking price is $11500
2007 FJ Cruiser base model
4x4 w/auto transmission
150k miles
clean title
minimal surface rust on frame
apparently no frame bulge besides one small region on the front inner quarter panel
The owner has added an ARB front steel bumper, Pro Comp Lift (I believe a 3"), new JBL sound system and touch screen radio
Also the owner claims he has not taken it offroading or anything that would stress the vehicle.

The miles are not out of place for an 07. (~12.5K/Yr). I think the price is not too bad. The small upgrades is a nice plus (but should never be a big deciding factor). I'm curious about the "minimal surface rust"; is this a FL truck all its life? The bulge you describe IS the fender bulge. As someone mentioned, you can get a decent truck within your 15K budget, just be patient. Should be easier if you're in FL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The miles are not out of place for an 07. (~12.5K/Yr). I think the price is not too bad. The small upgrades is a nice plus (but should never be a big deciding factor). I'm curious about the "minimal surface rust"; is this a FL truck all its life? The bulge you describe IS the fender bulge. As someone mentioned, you can get a decent truck within your 15K budget, just be patient. Should be easier if you're in FL.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I am going to see the vehicle tomorrow and I will see what the rust is like first hand and that fender bulge. Is fender bulge a serious issue? Like will it progress into something catastrophic over time? Thanks! Also where/what websites should I use to search for FJs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi navygator7, welcome from central Ohio!

Minimal rust and a bumper/lift upgrade? $11500 seems a fair asking price to me, but haven't looked at Autotrader or KBB recently.
See if jimmy-buffett chimes in, he wrote buy/sell guide here.
A lot of it is down to what you want and how much time you have to look. Do you like/want a lift and metal bumper - then it's a selling point. (or if indifferent, then it's a negotiating point!).
If you like this FJ, I'd arrange for a Toyota dealership to do a pre-purchase inspection even if you want to have another shop do the work. The dealership will have the most experience working on FJs.
I had my FJ fully researched and rationalized, however, I really bought it because it was awesome and in my price range. You may chose to use or ignore my criteria :D either way I hope find a great vehicle.
Thank you for the response!

·
Registered
445 Posts
When I was doing my FJ search I read through the forums here and the upshot seemed to be that you'd rather not have it but it wasn't a show stopper.
I found two where this was discussed - a short one and a really long one. If you have time you may want read through and see what you think.
I started looking at 2010 and 11s (for reasons mostly due color choices) so I didn't get too far into the issue.

I found my FJ through Autotrader but I was looking on many sites . I don't remember most of them, the listings were mostly cross-posted to the big sites. Vroom.com had it's own selection that were never on the other sites.

Is fender bulge a serious issue? Like will it progress into something catastrophic over time?
Also where/what websites should I use to search for FJs?

·
Premium Member
16,368 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Soooo new update.

I test drove it today and its quite nice. It runs well and seems to have no issues at the moment.

HOWEVER, I checked the carfax afterwards and it has had 6 previous owners, and a possibly rollback on miles...so instead of 150k miles, its probably closer to 190k-200k miles. The carfax says it has a clean title and everything but just looks strange. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Soooo new update.

I test drove it today and its quite nice. It runs well and seems to have no issues at the moment.

HOWEVER, I checked the carfax afterwards and it has had 6 previous owners, and a possibly rollback on miles...so instead of 150k miles, its probably closer to 190k-200k miles. The carfax says it has a clean title and everything but just looks strange. Let me know what you guys think.
Keep looking you will find a better one!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Well that looks to be a bullet dodged.
I hadn't seen that kind shenanigans reported in CarFax before so thanks for posting.

Good luck finding an even better FJ.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Soooo new update.

Wow, that was a messed up CarFax. I would avoid this one.
Don't put too much stock in CarFax as they are only recorded if events are reported. Use it as a "guide" but it doesn't paint the full car's history.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts