Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I dropped mine & have a man A free skid & there were no clearance issues with it.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You probably don't wheel like I do then...

Rock crawling with IFS is all about ground clearance, ask guys who actually wheel their rigs if they would want to loose a inch in clearance.

As for the skids, my stock ones where bent on the first time wheeling, and my aftermarket ones are bent also, I use my rig.
You're making a lot of assumptions about me that are unwarranted.

First off, all of my wheeling experience is with an IFS rig. I have a built Trooper with 35s and ARBs etc. The FJ will take over trail duty eventually but not yet.

Secondly, I have done quite a few fairly difficult trails. For example, I have done a list of trails as long as your arm in Moab, including Golden Spike several times. I climbed Rock Chucker on Metal Masher, when the Jeep behind me (also with 35s) couldn't make it.

Bashing rocks with your skid plates doesn't prove anything, the trick is to miss them.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
You're making a lot of assumptions about me that are unwarranted.

First off, all of my wheeling experience is with an IFS rig. I have a built Trooper with 35s and ARBs etc. The FJ will take over trail duty eventually but not yet.

Secondly, I have done quite a few fairly difficult trails. For example, I have done a list of trails as long as your arm in Moab, including Golden Spike several times. I climbed Rock Chucker on Metal Masher, when the Jeep behind me (also with 35s) couldn't make it.

Bashing rocks with your skid plates doesn't prove anything, the trick is to miss them.

Not trying to make assumptions, the stock skids on the FJ suck, they will be destroyed fast, even if you do miss rocks, on some trails theirs just some rocks you can't miss.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
My skids don't play well with my diff drop, and they were even engineered to fit. I plan to remove the drop within the next couple months.

You don't want to have an oops moment without proper skids that can take a beating. You lose a little clearance, but the first time you use them you know it was money well spent.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts