Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, I against most of your guys suggestions. I did get it. I weighed my pros and cons about the 2wd vs 4wd and honestly, I don't think I'll really need 4wd too often. I do snowboard a lot, but locally any time there's chains required in our local mountains (SoCal), chains or snow tires are required even on 4wd. I guess they don't trust that people can drive in the snow around here lol. So even with 4wd, if the cops are out enforcing, even with 4wd, they'll make you have chains. In 5 years of owning my Scion tC, I've only had to use chains maybe a handful of times, so I think if I need to use them on the FJ, so be it, no biggy, just some cold hands lol As for the badges, love em or hate em, I think they're pretty cool just to be different. They don't have that terrible Pep Boys sticker look to them and they add personality. I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking it's 4wd. I've done enough reading on the forum over the last few days and read that the 2wd's are actually very good offroad (perhaps better than many 4wd's of other companies) so if I do decide to do a little wheelin, it'll be plenty capable as I'm not going to do anything too difficult anyway. I got it for $22.5k, but they gave me a very fair trade in amount for my Scion (which I didn't expect) and a good finance rate. Though it's mostly a no frills vehicle, not to many options, I'm really happy with this purchase so far. It's got low miles and now I wont have to worry about replacing a transfer case or anything later down the road. Next comes the fun part and customizing it a little more. I think I'm going to add the stock roof rack and some ARB fogs into the bumper. Nothing too crazy for now. I'm lucky enough to have a great off-road shop about a 1/2 mile away called Dirty Parts. Larry is the guy that has helped me before with other parts in the past for other vehicles and I believe he posts here occasionally also. Crazy FJ or something like that? Very cool guy and wow his FJ is HOOKED UP!!!!

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated, can't wait to start having some fun with this badboy!
~Scott

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I've done enough reading on the forum over the last few days and read that the 2wd's are actually very good offroad (perhaps better than many 4wd's of other companies) so if I do decide to do a little wheelin, it'll be plenty capable as I'm not going to do anything too difficult anyway.~Scott
2wd Better than other 4x4's of other companies... Doubt it, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Is a 2x4 capable? depending on what your doing sure. The last couple trail runs i went on there was a couple 2wd's in the group. Did they make though quite a few obsticles?.. Yes. But it also took them 3 times as long to do so. At one point it took one of them 20 minutes that it took the rest of the group about 3 to 5.

Ultimatly, it was your desicion, so if your happy with your purchase than thats all that matters. Though from what i've seen, many that have bought 2x4's end up regreting it once the mod bug starts. BUt either way, congrats on your new truck.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts