Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I don't get to go wheeling every day like some of you lucky dogs, and when I do it is usually up in the mountains, on stuff like we do in Ouray, around Creede and Lake City, a couple of good Jeep trails in Red River, that kind of stuff. No major rock crawling yet.

So I am modding as I go, and I am thinking of getting either skids or rock rails first. Anyone have any opinions on what I need first for this type of wheeling? I have felt myself scrape underneath many times, but haven't done any permanent damage.

How much good do rock rails really do on the type of wheeling I do?

Also, if I go with skids, which skids are the most important to start with if I don't decide to do full skids?

Any opinions would be appreciated! :)

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I say go with the rock rails before the skids, mostly because the rock rails are cheaper than the full under skids. Also if it's nothing extreme than the stock underside should be able to hold it self together.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I'd go with the DeMello rock rails first, perfect amount of kickout. Enough to protect you and to use as a step, and not to much to get you hung up on rocks.

The FJ already has skids underneath.. nothing like the bud's, but they are there, and they surprisingly work.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I would go with rock rails first.

The FJ already has skids underneath.. nothing like the bud's, but they are there, and they surprisingly work.
x2 The belly has something to at least deter rock damage. The rocker panels have nothing. I'd go rails first. The demellos are nice.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
If you don't do major crawling, you can just get the front skid. Be mindful of where your diff is and avoid it. I've used the TG sliders for a while and really beat on them too. They've been ok. Never tried other sliders so I can't comment. Know what you need and go from there. Don't go overboard. You have a stock rig. Add so much weight and your ground clearance will suffer more.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Like the others said, go with the sliders first. The FJC already has skids. The skids aren't great, but they'll get you by until you can get the better skids.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice, guys. And the Demello sliders just happen on sale for delivery to Ouray! Cool. :cool:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I say go with the rock rails before the skids, mostly because the rock rails are cheaper than the full under skids. Also if it's nothing extreme than the stock underside should be able to hold it self together.:bigthumb:
I'd add the All Pro lower link and lower shock skids. They're big targets.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
budbuilt for both skids and rock sliders.... I would go with sliders first...then full skids if money is a concern up front.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
budbuilt for both skids and rock sliders.... I would go with sliders first...then full skids if money is a concern up front.
X2 You cant go wrong with Bud, his products are top notch and Bud is a great guy. You can also buy the skids a piece at a time too if you like.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Id do the sliders first too like already said , but if your decison challanged like me you could do both at the same time like I did. I did the all pro skids and sliders and really like em.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Another vote for the Budbuilt rock sliders first and then the skids. If you are adding the skids piece by piece, start and the front and go back. Bud offers a couple different styles of sliders.... I went with the ones that flare out like the allpro sliders. Bud is a great guy and he makes a great product.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
You may also want to look into the Rasta 4X4 aluminum skids. They are much lighter than steel skids. For your application, it sounds like they will provide all the protection you need, and you won't be lugging around an extra 200lbs.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I think you should check into capt. Ricks polyethylene skids ,... Maybe you could be able to buy both, the skids and rails

·
Registered
686 Posts
I had my rock rails in first, before I got buds. Wheeled a couple times without the buds and decided to get them.

Advice
I wouldn't wait too long to get skids if you are planning to wheel alot in the future. I installed the buds and it took much longer than necessary because I sheared alot of the bolts from the OEM stuff and couldn't get the sockets on the bolts. I had to dremel the bolts off and it was a PITA. It would probably take me half the time if I did it earlier than later.

Amity

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
Jen....I want you to get rock rails first.....

Here's why according to the Homedad(this is for Jen....so don't flame).....

If you hit something that the rails would have protected....you will have expensive body damage and a possible door not opening....

When you hit something the skids would have protected.....you have stock skids that will be hard to remove....This is what Tibaal89's(Mike) skids looked like when we chiseled :lol: them off (See Photo).....note: There was NO damage under these skids....they look like he!!...But they did there job....

So....buy some rails first and start saving for some skids....Bud/All-Pro/MAF/they all make good sets....I use the MAF's but have never seen anyone have a problem with any of them...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, lots of great arguments for both. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and do both. I think I'll probably take advantage of the Ouray delivery from Demello and go ahead and get some rails. Then I can watch for group buys on here and do the skid thing. You guys rock!!:rocker:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts