Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK my Fj is a toy i drive it once a week i got a allpro bumper front and a winch and skids so i look at the sway bar and thinking do i really need it ive herd of the links brakeing and tearing up the cvboots so What do u think???

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
OK my Fj is a toy i drive it once a week i got a allpro bumper front and a winch and skids so i look at the sway bar and thinking do i really need it ive herd of the links brakeing and tearing up the cvboots so What do u think???
I've heard of a few people doing this. They have had no ill effects as of yet.

G

·
The real question is if you should use the search function.:)

Anyway, I haven't had any problems with the installed swaybar causing problems with anything. As an experiment, I've had the swaybar off for about 2 weeks now and it's just like everybody else says. On road, it rolls a bit more, has a bit less precision in the steering in the turns and is less responsive with mid-corner corrections. I haven't offroaded with it yet but would imagine it would also be like everybody says which is a bit more articulation, less front-wheel lifting and possibly more stability.

Since I prefer blasting down fire-roads (sometimes sideways) vs rock-crawling and spend 98% of my time on-road that it makes more sense for me to re-install it.

You can do take it off or put it back on in 15 minutes, so you can try it both ways.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I remove it when I go to places like Moab (post arrival) and reinstall it before I hit the road to return home. Doesn't take much time and eliminates the potential for swaybar link failure. Front articulation is better as well. If it's someplace that isn't too extreme I leave it on.

Jim

·
Premium Member
17,154 Posts
Remove it and test on the pavement and off road. I have had my front sway bar off for 9 months and I prefer keeping it off. I feel it does better off road and I have gotten use to the slight body roll at high speeds. Just my 2 cents. Chris

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I've heard of a few people who took it off and didn't have too much effect on road effect. The only thing is it does get a bit tippy during turns on the highway, but other than that it was completely stable.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Remove it and test on the pavement and off road. I have had my front sway bar off for 9 months and I prefer keeping it off. I feel it does better off road and I have gotten use to the slight body roll at high speeds. Just my 2 cents. Chris
I've heard of a few people who took it off and didn't have too much effect on road effect. The only thing is it does get a bit tippy during turns on the highway, but other than that it was completely stable.:bigthumb:
X2 Mines been off since Feb 07. No problems yet. It does sway more on the road but completely tolerable. I'd say do it.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
x3 I removed the rear swar bar after the skyjacker links failed & wacked my All Pro LCA's.Lovin it.Def more flex.

·
Registered
468 Posts
How about just removing the rear swaybar?

I know the pros and cons to removing the front one, but what about just removing the back one?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I would imagine removing the sways on a stock suspended FJ would be quite uncomfortable considering how softly sprung it is. However, stiffer spring rates should compensate for the loss of the bar to some degree.

·
Registered
447 Posts
is there any probs w/ brakes lines etc extending too much?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts