Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for some new 16" wheels and tires. I was planning on getting some cheaper steelies. I already got 1.25" spidertrax so I guess I can easily clear the caliper.

However, my shop told me I should not use steel wheels as they are not hub centric and will cause vibration. He said unless it's a 70's old jeep, he won't use steel wheels as they are so impercise. I did some search and it seems this hasn't been a prominant problem for FJs. And I think I can always get hub centric rings to fit steelies hub centricly right?

So in all, I want to ask will i run into problems for steelies? given i have spacers.

Thanks in advance.
Kai

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have the fj steelies on my truck with spidertrax and they are hub centric
yea i know the stock ones are designed to be. I'm looking at ones like pro comp which has a larger center bore. However most aftermarket aluminum wheels have larger center bore too so i guess it won't be particular different for steelies.

I guess if they make hub centric rings out of plastic, the hub isn't actually bearing any load. It's just for initial centering to put on the lug nuts. After the lugs are torqued down, they do all the centering and load bearing. correct me if im wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I would not personally spend my hard-earned money on those wheels.

I would buy OEM steel wheels - which I already have 3 sets of, and am currently running.

Or these from Stockton.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
BOOM!!! THAT JUST HAPPENED

Either one you won't go wrong. I ran the stock OEM steeliness for years on my 2008. They held up very well and even had to pound one out (not possible with aluminum) to get back home.

I would run steeliness but my rig came with these Fuels and I have new rubber so I am stuck.

Happy Trails

Reactions: Tonka Cruiser

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I have a set of 16" alloy TRD wheels for daily use, I use Toyota steel 17" for trail use.
Quality wheels are the only suggestion I can make. Buy a good wheel, with the width and back spacing you desire to be able to skip the use of the spider track spacers

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
I have a set of 16" alloy TRD wheels for daily use, I use Toyota steel 17" for trail use.
I have an 08TT that came with the black TRD wheels and this was my plan as well. but 2 things happened, 1) i think it is a pain in the a$$ to change them 5 or 6 times a year. 2) i really like the way the steelies look. so the TRDs sit in the shed.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I bet those TRDs would look even better in my shed...or on my rig! :grin

I have an 08TT that came with the black TRD wheels and this was my plan as well. but 2 things happened, 1) i think it is a pain in the a$$ to change them 5 or 6 times a year. 2) i really like the way the steelies look. so the TRDs sit in the shed.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Not that big of a deal to me.....saves my TT wheels from the rocks. I also pull them off for the winter

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
The wheelers offroad steelies are made by procomp....just so you know. I would buy procomp, no different than most other big wheel manufacturers. I have sent back a non round wheel to American racing, and they just shipped me a new one. I would buy from them again as well.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
The wheelers offroad steelies are made by procomp....just so you know.
Do they make them just for Wheeler's? Because the Pro-Comp ones come in with a 4.25" backspace only, while the Wheeler's have a choice of 4.00" or 4.50" backspace.

Maybe they come from the same OEM and get branded differently? I can't imagine that Wheeler's - a little shop in southern Oregon - would warrant enough sales volume to have a manufacturer (or brand, more likely) like Explorer Pro-Comp make 2 different wheels just for them, with no overlap with the 4WPW offerings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts