Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just added a Shovel and Axe to my rear door. I'm very happy w/ the outcome. These things aren't moving for nothing. I gave them some real hard yanks and I'll be testing them off road this weekend

You need 4 Quickfists,
(1) Rivet Nut 1/4 - 20,
(3) 1/4 - 20 by 3" carriage bolts,
(1) 1/4 - 20 Bolt 4"
(1) Bushing 3" ... I used a piece of 1" pvc pipe

Install:
Remove rear panel ..Simple!

Rivet Nut

Installed

I then feed three carriage bolts in from behind the panel w/ a washer for added support on either side.

Looked like this w/ panel on

Now for the Quickfists. Just add Nut and washer provided w/ the clamps... Presto!

All the positions where the bolts go through have spacers already there on the rear panel, except for the one spot where I added the Rivet Nut. So that is the location where I placed the small piece of pvc pipe for added stability.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
That's pretty interesting, I'll look forward to seeing your progress. What brand and size of shovel are you going to use?

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
really good idea! lets see some pics as soon as you are done

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Seems like a good idea..........

Anchoring those heavy items on the plastic vinyl door facing seems like it could be a problem considering how hard you have to swing the door shut.

Just my 2 pesos.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like a good idea..........

Anchoring those heavy items on the plastic vinyl door facing seems like it could be a problem considering how hard you have to swing the door shut.

Just my 2 pesos.

Aye, that's why I'm fastening some alum. flat bar to the door frame and the clamps then to the bars through small holes in the plastic :)

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Waiting on Quickfists and I'll add finished photos later. I plan on fastening some aluminum to the back of the door, behind the rear panel cover and then attaching the quickfists to that. Whatcha think?
That is what the aluminum is for, backing/support.

Fiskars Shovel and Axe. Solid steel design on the shovel and it's cut to length. Hacksaw did the trick. The Axe is a perfect fit.
Where did you find the fiskars, online?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the alum is mounted to the door and the quick fists are then mounted to them, to give them something sturdy to hold onto. Just 3/16'' flat stock.

The Fiskars I got at Lowes. They only had a few of the short spades in stock, but a lot of the flat blades. I got the axe there too, a while ago.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds and looks like a good idea per concept pic. Will like to see final project pics and hear about test rides.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Sounds like you've thought it through.......please post pics of install when ready, thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The Quickfists are great. Very versatile and, from experience, you can use them outside the vehicle on roof racks, etc. without them deteriorating. :)

I would consider this but I've already put those useless cargo nets on the door. :slant: :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just keeping you up to speed. After looking at the door innards a bit more, I've decided to use the pop rivet style nuts. You rivet these in. And the Quick fists will then bolt into them. There is only one spot where you'll have to improvise by adding a hard rubber bushing between the panel and the steel of the door. All other locations are where the snap plugs are located. Just drill through the panel there and use the original plastic door spacer.

I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm liking this idea. Anxious to see how it turns out.

You may have caught this already or it may have been just a mockup pic, but just 1 suggestion would be to face the ax blade downward.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Any final pics yet ? can't wait to see:roller:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts