Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Lux, like that Gordigear: but any windows; or do you get "closed in" feeling?

Notice that none of awnings look like they are "staked" into the ground, so how anchored in any kind of stiff breeze? Among many uses, thinking awning might be useful for shade during car shows/cruise-ins, which can very hot on asphalt: but concerned about maintaining stability with legs?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just ordered the Foxwing, Tagalong, and Extension from Backcountry ($10.00 shipping to Alaska THAT is a big deal)

The owner of Fortreks contacted me directly when I whined about the cost of shipping to Alaska that his web site came up with. Well he is shipping them flat rate USPS and charging exact shipping.
Luke Clark of Froetreks has a customer for life now.

·
Admin
6,514 Posts
How sturdy are the cases that the awnings go into?
I go through a trail to get to my campsite that consists of scraping against trees for 2 solid hours.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Mine is just a thick bag, and it would be prone to getting ripped.
I believe the Fiamma awnings are a hardshell case.
If I ever need to replace my awning, I am going with that one.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here is my Ghetto awning.... discarded canopy legs with screw eyes at the top and ratchet straps as the guide wires. Nice thing about the legs is that they telescope. Tarp attaches to conduit that is zip tied to rack and tarp is zip tied to conduit through grommet holes. Works great and cost GRAND TOTAL OF $7.88.
I gotta say, you guys only gave me a week to give me the bug.. had to try and make one of those for myself after seeing Ramblinman's setup. Though I think I may give this one to my sister for her jeep and make one with a bigger tarp. This one turned out smaller then I was expecting, but functional.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Lux, like that Gordigear: but any windows; or do you get "closed in" feeling?

Notice that none of awnings look like they are "staked" into the ground, so how anchored in any kind of stiff breeze? Among many uses, thinking awning might be useful for shade during car shows/cruise-ins, which can very hot on asphalt: but concerned about maintaining stability with legs?

Thanks for any input!
Oups, sorry, I forgot the answer :frown

There are 2 doors , and one big window at the front side. At the back side you can open the tentroom to have access to your rig

At the top its fixed with a tentrail, a zippersystem and clips at the tentpoles
Anchored to the ground you can fix it with tent harings .

2 weeks ago I used it as my shower room and without the floor

You see one door with the moskito net and at the right the closed window

I did not really fixed it on this picture because I only used it as a shower room. For sleeping I used the Coleman Instant tent.

a few older pics

The tentroom is very well protected from rain at the front/window side and at the car side as you can see at both pictures
But, if you have heavy rain with stormy wind from the door sides, water can enter between the awning and the tent top.:surprise

Any problem with light and normal rain

In summary:
A good and not to expensive solution if you move every day and when weather is not too bad.:rocker:
If you wanna stay a few days on a campground but use your rig, then you better use an other tent byside

https://www.facebook.com/romain.staudt/media_set?set=a.10206647212407846.1073741833.1498929668&type=3

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine is the Eezi-wan Manta 270.

I never detach since it would be a pain, and since this is just a weekend/camping truck I don't see a reason to take it on and off.

It's not easy to find this awning, but I highly recommend it as the more shade you can get the better, especially since I do most of my camping around CA, AZ, NV.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
What? I didn't know shade was a verb.
My point was: in your photo, your awnings were not providing any usable shade, therefore their deployment, except for the taking of a photo, was pointless.

:nerd

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
My point was: in your photo, your awnings were not providing any usable shade, therefore their deployment, except for the taking of a photo, was pointless.

:nerd
Oh I see what you meant. Ya plenty of shade. The photo was deceiving I think.
But a bit of a photo op yes, since we had the same awning we thought we would attempt a line-up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Rats, forgot to ask is how many have option of zipping on solid or screen pieces to make a "room"?
Foxwing by Oztent does have two type of zippered side panels: tapered and straight. ( Foxwing Awning Extension )

We picked up the tapered one and it performed as expected when needed. Here's a shot from a few weeks back (reposted from the camping section as it's relevant here). Cold heavy rain blowing in off the lake and it was a wonderful wind/weather break.

Nice part about these tapered sides is multiple panels can be zipped together if desired.

Hope that's helpful - it's been a great investment for us thus far this season and something I wish I'd have picked up years ago.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 160 Posts