Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I guess I'm the only DIY red neck on here. My setup was put together using crap I had laying around the place. I didn't go out and buy anything special. It weighs very little and rolls up very small. I have two pieces of wood I salvaged from an old hammock, they are pre-drilled for all the hammock ropes to go through. I bolt them together using bolts and wing nuts. I then slip it between the tubes of the roof rack and bungee chord it into place. There are carabiners on each end that snap into the corner grommets in the tarp.

The poles are made out of 1/2 inch conduit which take apart. They are 7 foot assembled. I can easily adjust the height of the poles to block more sun when it is low in the sky. 4 stakes, some straps and about ten minutes and it's up. Not too glamorous but dirt cheap, extremely light compared to an EZ-UP and very nice sized to boot. I also have small tarps that I clamp onto the edges for sides. Harbor freight spring clamps work wonders for that job. Obviously I can set it up in the rear, front, or either side depending on the direction of the sun.

I actually forgot to take it down and went out fishing. The wind came up pretty good and I rushed back to see how it faired. It was still up and nothing was damaged. I run bungee chords to all of the grommets across the front of it to the roof rack, I think that is why it wasn't ripped. The chairs blew over in the wind so I know it was ripping through there pretty good.

Again, a pretty sorry sight compared to all of the previously posted pics.

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I guess I'm the only DIY red neck on here. My setup was put together using crap I had laying around the place. I didn't go out and buy anything special. It weighs very little and rolls up very small. I have two pieces of wood I salvaged from an old hammock, they are pre-drilled for all the hammock ropes to go through. I bolt them together using bolts and wing nuts. I then slip it between the tubes of the roof rack and bungee chord it into place. There are carabiners on each end that snap into the corner grommets.

The poles are made out of 1/2 inch conduit which take apart. They are 7 foot assembled. I can easily adjust the height of the poles to block more sun when it is low in the sky. 4 stakes, some straps and about ten minutes and it's up. Not too glamorous but dirt cheap, extremely light compared to an EZ-UP and very nice sized to boot. I also have small tarps that I clamp onto the edges for sides. Harbor freight spring clamps work wonders for that job. Obviously I can set it up in the rear, front, or either side depending on the direction of the sun.

I actually forgot to take it down and went out fishing. The wind came up pretty good and I rushed back to see how it faired. It was still up and nothing was damaged. I run bungee chords to all of the grommets across the front of it. I think that is why it wasn't ripped. The chairs blew over in the wind so I know it was ripping through there pretty good.

Again, a pretty sorry sight compared to all of the previously posted pics.

View attachment 528682

View attachment 528690
Love the window mounted AC unit

·
Registered
591 Posts
I also built an awning with a cammo tarp and some universal tent poles I found at the store.
Works great!

But I'll be buying a proper one soon, just for ease of set-up.
Frontrunner sells them, but they seem to be the same price as ARB.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have to say I like the ethic Moab Junky has. Very frugal. I spent hours online reading about these fancy tarps and looking for a deal. The cost was just way to high for me. Although I didn't stick to the supplies on hand, I did take the same route and build my own. I used chain link fence parts. Top rail for the main tarp support on the FJ. 2 pieces at 7' cut so one end fits into the other. they then slide in to a line post I mounted to the stock roof rack with clamps (all painted black for looks). A couple hols drilled in the top rail wing poles and the tarp clips on with cheap snap rings. A few extension poles at the corners and some stakes and guy wires and I have a nice shaded area to huddle under.

One of the benefits I have is being able to adjust the tarp more to one side of the FJ than the other if I need to and to drop a side for a little wind/rain protection on a side, if needed. The truck side is 12'. I bought a light weight 12'x9.5' tarp from Chinook through a retailer for under $40. Eventually I upgraded to a larger 12'x16' tarp from the same people so now I can add a side to the top.

I think the whole setup cast less than $100. I had to do a little modifying on the roof rack to hold the wing poles but they have been clamped up there for quite a few miles and not come loose yet.

Here is the retailer for the tarps: Chinook 11016 Tarp 12 x 9.6 - Sand 774552110165

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Here is the only picture of mine that I have.

Basically a homemade experiment. Took a 20x12 tarp and ziptied it to the roof rack and made some 8ft pvc poles with nails on both sides to stick in the sand on one end and on the other to go through the tarp rings. Then used some twine to put tension on the poles.

What I've learned from this, I need much stronger poles and probably need to not have the tarp quite so far out. But it beats paying those awning prices and its way more customizable if you use your head.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is the update for the canopy I put together. I had to carry the outrigger poles somehow and came up with this version. I think I got stuck on fencing parts. Some top rail and a couple rail clamps with SS bolt and wing nut. I added some velcro to one side of the clamp to cut down the rattling.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have to say I like the ethic Moab Junky has. Very frugal. I spent hours online reading about these fancy tarps and looking for a deal. The cost was just way to high for me. Although I didn't stick to the supplies on hand, I did take the same route and build my own. I used chain link fence parts. Top rail for the main tarp support on the FJ. 2 pieces at 7' cut so one end fits into the other. they then slide in to a line post I mounted to the stock roof rack with clamps (all painted black for looks). A couple hols drilled in the top rail wing poles and the tarp clips on with cheap snap rings. A few extension poles at the corners and some stakes and guy wires and I have a nice shaded area to huddle under.

One of the benefits I have is being able to adjust the tarp more to one side of the FJ than the other if I need to and to drop a side for a little wind/rain protection on a side, if needed. The truck side is 12'. I bought a light weight 12'x9.5' tarp from Chinook through a retailer for under $40. Eventually I upgraded to a larger 12'x16' tarp from the same people so now I can add a side to the top.

I think the whole setup cast less than $100. I had to do a little modifying on the roof rack to hold the wing poles but they have been clamped up there for quite a few miles and not come loose yet.

Here is the retailer for the tarps: Chinook 11016 Tarp 12 x 9.6 - Sand 774552110165
Very Nice... what is the thickness of your trap? Have you had it out in the rain yet?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Very Nice... what is the thickness of your trap? Have you had it out in the rain yet?
Oh yes! I came up with this as a result of wanting to camp in the Washington Hills... where there is lots of "Liquid Sunshine"! Sheds well, has the flexibility to drop one side low as a wind block or add another tarp to one side for some real privacy from the neighbors in the next campsite, if needed. Also, I take extra poles so I can set the tarp up separate from the FJ if I want to go wheeling.

I just used it this weekend up in the hills by Copper Mountain. Worked great. The center pole allows any heat to rise and keep it cooler at people height. Here is the details for attachment of the tarp to the outriggers. Also, the small pack for the accessories other than the poles. The T is pvc with a brass fitting that just fits the top of a pole so it won't tear the tarp. I need to paint the spikes a bright orange or something. I almost lost them this trip in the tall grass!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry Yotes, I had to do some searching for the tarp thickness. I got my 12x16 from Amazon. Here is their description:

"Campmor PU coated nylon tarp with grommets in the corners and down the sides. 1.9 oz. per square yard reinforced high count taffeta nylon. Very light and flexible. Waterproof urethane coating. Grommets at all corners and about 3.5 feet apart on the hems. Finish sizes are slightly smaller. Made in the USA. Weight = 3 lbs. 14 oz."

I marked the grommets on the 12' side with a sharpie so I could easily, and quickly if raining, find the side to attach to the FJ. When I was picking this tarp I was also thinking how nice it would be to have on a backpacking trip so I looked for light weight and durability. I have used it many times and it does not show any signs of wear so far. Currently priced around $100, I am pretty sure I paid around 2/3 of that approximately. Been too long to recall. The poles are from Coleman. They are definitely not pack-able for a hike. Tie spikes are just that, from Home Depot.

I am currently looking into replacing the roof rack cross pieces with more fencing parts. A 1 3/8" top rail will hold a little more weight up top. There is a T clamp for this that I think will clamp on to the side rails and it is all galvanized metal. We will see how this goes. I just figured that having the ability to put some supplies on the roof rack and not have to worry about the weight bending the cross pieces or breaking the plastic ends while bumping along a creek bed in the wilderness might be a good thing. May need to change my handle to TinkerTom! OK, Maybe not.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Finally had a chance to test out the connector kit that zips the Foxwing awning and OzTent RV5 together in July - forgot to post it.

Connection kit worked well but next time I'll pay closer attention to ensure I get a continuous seal with the velcro flap. I was sloppy and with the hit and miss of the flap we had some water get thru the zip. Nothing significant and easily corrected if the operator had paid closer attention :) what was nice way the continuous cover from tent to porch to awning making it dead easy to access the FJ cargo area in all weather.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here is the only picture of mine that I have.

Basically a homemade experiment. Took a 20x12 tarp and ziptied it to the roof rack and made some 8ft pvc poles with nails on both sides to stick in the sand on one end and on the other to go through the tarp rings. Then used some twine to put tension on the poles.

What I've learned from this, I need much stronger poles and probably need to not have the tarp quite so far out. But it beats paying those awning prices and its way more customizable if you use your head.
Which beach is this?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just ordered up a Eezi-wan Manta 270. currently have a side and rear ARB slightly used that will be for sale when the new one arrives. Only reason is I camp a lot by myself and the new one is better for one person to put up and down although the ARB is totally fine is a lot of weather. Pm. Me if you gave an interest. Am in NC.
Thanks

41 - 60 of 160 Posts