Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 324 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I am getting all set for self contained camping.
Just ordered the Pett Crapper system, and a pic-nic table.

Some of the places I will be going to do not have either there, and besides that, I never use a public outhouse or restroom for those "sit down" jobs :D

I had my own two piece porta potty I used in the tent trailer when I had it.
Still have the porta pottly, but to big to carry with the FJ.

Yes, bring on the new section.
I have links to other stuff I have been eying too.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Please don't laugh or flame me.....but what ever happened to setting up tents on the ground??:thinkerg: :indifferent:

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Flame on

He he he...

The two main reasons for me and from what I have read are:
1. Ease of setup
2. Speed of setup

I have camped for years in tents, tent trailers, ect, and they take awhile to setup.
Putting up the tent trailer was actually easier and faster than pitching a tent for me.
With a regular tent you have to put down a ground cloth, lay out the tent, insert the poles through the sleeves, erect it, and then stake it down.

With the AirLander I just bought, all I do is release the latches on the fiberglass case, insert the crank handle and turn it.
It is then all done.
The bedding is already laid out in it whether it is a sleeping bag or sheets and a comforter.

Insert the ladder on the side to access, all done.

Here is a good video of them.
http://www.autohome.it/file_gb/movies.html

·
Registered
820 Posts
We have been looking at getting a RTT and I really like the autohome series of tents, but I don't like the fact that you lose your entire roof storage. The FJ is no Landcruiser so when its us and the dog we especially need all the room we can get. We will probably be going with an Eezi-Awn because of this reason.

Nice tent though, glad to see there are some other expedition types out there!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
[/URL][/IMG]
HEy TRD is that an outlander trailer?? If it is, how do you like?? and if you can compare it to the Adventure land trailer how does it stack up?? Any inout on these trailers would be kewl !!

·
Registered
862 Posts
HEy TRD is that an outlander trailer?? If it is, how do you like?? and if you can compare it to the Adventure land trailer how does it stack up?? Any inout on these trailers would be kewl !!

Yes that is an Outlander trailer, I have been very happy with it. I've never been around the A.T. so I can't compare the 2. My trailer is leaf sprung, but it suits my needs well. Robert(outlander tailers) is a great guy to work with and will build and customize to meet your needs.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Here is a sneak peak.
I will have more pictures tomorrow with more info and the unit opened up.
Was to tired after I got back from the shop to open it up.

I still need to hunt down a twin down comforter, Amazon was out of the one I wanted, but I did score a nice set of flannel sheets for the mattress that will be going on tomorrow.

It came with three nice large pillow too, and the mattress is about 3" thick, and there is a 12v light with a long extension cord on it.

My youngest son (21) is over for the weekend.
He said my rig looked like a submarine last November when I got the snorkel installed, and when I pulled up today, he said it looked like a scapeship ;)

PS, I will update my buildup thread with the pics and info, but I will put up a link here to the post in the buildup thread.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
We have been looking at getting a RTT and I really like the autohome series of tents, but I don't like the fact that you lose your entire roof storage. The FJ is no Landcruiser so when its us and the dog we especially need all the room we can get. We will probably be going with an Eezi-Awn because of this reason.

Nice tent though, glad to see there are some other expedition types out there!
The Adventure series has a 1/2 rack on top. I suppose it would be good enough to put a few gas cans up there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The load capacity on the oem roof rack is a lot lower than my fat a$$ + companion. I'm assuming this limit is meant for driving -- obviously the change in center of gravity would be a crucial factor. What's the real weight limit for such a setup?

·
Registered
820 Posts
The Adventure series has a 1/2 rack on top. I suppose it would be good enough to put a few gas cans up there.

According to the autohome website, the load limit for that rack is 35lbs. I'm not sure this would be enough for us since we generally carry 10 gals of water and 10 gals of gas, which averages out to around 164 lbs.

I dunno, one day we will figure it out and make a decision.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
And I think it would be most helpful if peeps could post up a pic of their RTT all packed up and closed on their roof too?:cowsmile:

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks Wayne.
Is yours still on your FJ too?

I have not uncoiled that 12v wire yet, I wonder if it is ling enough to reach the 12v outlets in the back of the rig?

If not, I have a 15' or so extension with a female end on it, and I can pick up a male end for the tent.

Or I can just cut my extension and wire it to the tents wire.

I was so tempted to sleep in it Saturday night, but I knew the rain was coming, and I did not want to pack it away wet today.

Where did you pick up a 12v blanket?
What size is the blanket?

21 - 40 of 324 Posts