Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Here is an older one...
Hey - my truck! :) I just came on to post an update....perfect timing LOL!

I've been on many trails since these skids were installed & they've really saved me! They've allowed me to go on some trails that I otherwise wouldn't have gone on since I don't have a lift & larger tires yet. I've also gotten lots of compliments on how they look.

Thanks again for putting out such a great product! I'm looking forward to my front bumper now! :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
this weekend guys, I promise!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I installed a full set powder coated RED for TxAggie over the weekend. They looked great on his red TT. Install went great, maybe he'll post up some pics soon. I know he said he was headed to Bridgeport this weekend, so we might even get some action shots.
Justin did a great job and the skids look (and work) great! Took some hard hits and had to be winched off a rock at Bridgeport on the 16th. I'll post pictures when I get back to the home PC (I am on travel to Vermont this week). I think there are DFW M&G pix on the TTR Forum so I'll look tonight. Lot's of pinstripes on the red powdercoat (sorry Justin); hard impacts on the bash plate and bent up the trailing edge of the transfer case skid. Gas tank skid is still dirty but I can see some deep stripes in the Texas clay! In short, I am very glad I had these installed. They work great!! :clap:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Hey - my truck! :) I just came on to post an update....perfect timing LOL!

Thanks again for putting out such a great product! I'm looking forward to my front bumper now! :)
If you got the single hoop, this is what it will look like after it has been washed! :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
955 Posts
okay got mine installed today, took about 4.5 hours in my garage, hand tools, by myself.

My only problem is I couldn't mount the bracket that ties the fuel tank skid to the transfer case skid... I don't know if I used the wrong bolts somewhere else, but I know I didn't lose anything, everything else went on perfectly, and none of these components really work together haha (I can't thread any of the bolts into any of the nuts)

Here is a pic of all the hardware I have left.

Gas to Transfer Case Bracket by tsy87, on Flickr

PS, I took real pix too, but when I finished it was dark so I will take more and post them tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
okay got mine installed today, took about 4.5 hours in my garage, hand tools, by myself.

My only problem is I couldn't mount the bracket that ties the fuel tank skid to the transfer case skid... I don't know if I used the wrong bolts somewhere else, but I know I didn't lose anything, everything else went on perfectly, and none of these components really work together haha (I can't thread any of the bolts into any of the nuts)

PS, I took real pix too, but when I finished it was dark so I will take more and post them tomorrow.
LOL, still no pics just what was left over!:lol: Your link to flickr is private so nobody can see it. I'm sure Justin will guide you on this and if any hardware is incorrect that will be fixed! :bigthumb:

Glad you got around to installing it!

·
Registered
955 Posts
LOL, still no pics just what was left over!:lol: Your link to flickr is private so nobody can see it. I'm sure Justin will guide you on this and if any hardware is incorrect that will be fixed! :bigthumb:

Glad you got around to installing it!
Hahaha! I know I know I'll take the finished pix tomorrow, didn't finish till dark!

At least I finally got around to installing them!!! :rofl:

·
Registered
449 Posts
TxAggie's ShrockWorks FJ Cruiser Skid Plates!

Finally got back to town to post some pictures from Bridgeport wheeling on Feb 16 with DFW TTR Meet and Greet. Not a good picture yet of the skids in action; but I think someone took one I need to get. The install by Justin on the 9th in Houston was followed the next Saturday with some wheeling. As you can see, the skids took a beating on the Texas rocks and my driving! I removed the center skid (transmission) last night to beat out the edge damage -- no luck, very stiff steel. I also added a muffler repair cloth to the skid and muffler as this skid is too close to the flat on the pipe and it vibrates (more so after the first trip out on the trails).

Here's the spot I needed to get winched back from as the ledge was deep on the right and the transmission skid was hooked on a rock that kept me from going left:

Here's the skid damage from this rock and the winching -- not complaining at all; I was glad Phil was not far behind me to help Wilson hook me up and get me off the rock!

At home before I started the clean-up on Sunday:

Bash plate worked well:

Cleaned some of skids; Texas mud is a mess!

Gas Tank skid was still dirty (and pinstripped):

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Hahaha! I know I know I'll take the finished pix tomorrow, didn't finish till dark!

At least I finally got around to installing them!!! :rofl:
:bigthumb: Now get out there and use them! Or come to Moab with us befre the Summit. :clap:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Re: TxAggie's ShrockWorks FJ Cruiser Skid Plates!

Finally got back to town to post some pictures from Bridgeport wheeling on Feb 16 with DFW TTR Meet and Greet. Not a good picture yet of the skids in action; but I think someone took one I need to get. The install by Justin on the 9th in Houston was followed the next Saturday with some wheeling. As you can see, the skids took a beating on the Texas rocks and my driving! I removed the center skid (transmission) last night to beat out the edge damage -- no luck, very stiff steel. I also added a muffler repair cloth to the skid and muffler as this skid is too close to the flat on the pipe and it vibrates (more so after the first trip out on the trails).

Here's the spot I needed to get winched back from as the ledge was deep on the right and the transmission skid was hooked on a rock that kept me from going left:

Here's the skid damage from this rock and the winching -- not complaining at all; I was glad Phil was not far behind me to help Wilson hook me up and get me off the rock!

At home before I started the clean-up on Sunday:

Bash plate worked well:

Cleaned some of skids; Texas mud is a mess!

Gas Tank skid was still dirty (and pinstripped):
Nice! That's what they are there for! :lol: I would suggest that you remove the brush guard, If your going to be rock crawling it's going to cut your approach angle and get in the way. Order you a Shrockworks front bumper and you will be set for Moab and the Summit! :clap::clap:

·
Registered
955 Posts
okay! Finally got the picture ready!

Full five piece skid set ready to be installed! (they have been for weeks, I really mean that I was finally ready to install :lol:)

Stock vs ShrockWorks Gas Tanks Skid:

Stock Engine/Trans Skid Vs Shrockworks,

All installed!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
NIce! but couldn't you have gave her a bath before you put those on! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
955 Posts
NIce! but couldn't you have gave her a bath before you put those on! :rofl::rofl::rofl:
That would require crawling under and getting mud splashed all over me :boohoo: no thanks!! hahaha... You should have seen all the dirt that fell on me while installing them :lol:

At least the top side is shiny.... sometimes :rocker:

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Very nice, thanks for the pictures!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Re: TxAggie's ShrockWorks FJ Cruiser Skid Plates!

Nice! That's what they are there for! :lol: I would suggest that you remove the brush guard, If your going to be rock crawling it's going to cut your approach angle and get in the way. Order you a Shrockworks front bumper and you will be set for Moab and the Summit! :clap::clap:
You're right on target 'Sarge... I even got Wilson to wince with one of my approaches!

I plan to get rid of the brushgaurd and hopefully install a new bumper (ShrockWorks or DO Evil Eye) before Moab and Summit.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
i wish i'd have seen these before i ordered the ones i have... :bigthumb:

realy nice flat bottom plus angled rear departure....

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
:lol::lol::lol: send them back! Go with the good stuff! :rofl:

·
Registered
206 Posts

Tsy87, I'd be happy to send you some extra hardware if you need. All of the bolts are standard 5/16 - 18(thread pitch).

Those Torx barrel nuts are a bit of a specialty fastener, and we're having a hard time finding them in the lenth that we need for this application, so we have been shaving them down a bit shorter which can tend to booger up the threads some times. I've been double checking the threads and running a tap back through if needed, but I'll make you another set and get you fixed up.

If I can find a better solution to this I will, its just a bit tricky because you dont want anything prodruding up toward the gas tank or hanging to far down getting hung up on stuff.

Thanks for the pics guys! Its always nice to see this stuff outside of the shop and seeing our products being used and enjoyed:rocker:

41 - 60 of 90 Posts