Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I probably have one of the more unusual reasons for buying my FJ. One of the major reasons I chose the FJ was to get to remote Mushroom patches. I am totally obsessed with hunting shrooms.... morels, chanterelles, black trumpets, boletes, etc. If it is a fungus, chances are I'm chasing it. Now with the FJ, getting to my spots and finding new, previously unaccessable spots is as much fun as finding the little buggers. If you don't know, now is the time to find one of my five favorite fungal fruitifactions... the morel. I've been hunting pretty hard and took a few wheeling photos I thouhgt I'd share. I couldn't take any pics of the really fun stuff becuase I was alone all but once. But here a few glamour shots anyhow.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Nice Pict'... and Keep posting the mushroom
hunting info, very interseting !... :bigthumb:...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Cool post, interesting hobby.
When I was going to school in Northern California (HSU) in the 80's, commercial hunting for wild edible fungi was so profitable in the Pacific Northwest that elements of organized crime came in and were protecting the more productive patches with booby traps and firearms.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Cool pics of your FJ!!! :bigthumb: what kind of equipment do you have on your FJ specially for hunting mushrooms???:rofl::lol:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol, I figured the title would turn some heads! I tend to stay clear of the magic shrooms. A little too intense for my taste! For sure a bad idea to drive if you do decide to go vision questing.

You guys would be surprised to know how many wonderful edibles are out there. Also, the best spots are often in remote, rugged areas so wheeling and shrooming go hand in hand. I just wheel around until I find a spot that looks good, then I get out and hunt. Once I'm tired of walking, I just hop in and do it all over! Most people are totally ignorant of the amazing variety of taste and texture in the mycological world. I pick and store FAR more than I can possible eat. I usually sell or gift all of my surplus away. If there are any gormet buffs or shroom lovers who want some really good shrooms that you can't buy in the store, pm me and I'll hook you up proper. I don't ever sell or gift mushrooms that have dangerous look alikes, so you don't need to worry about dropping dead after your meal. I consider myself an expert amateur, and I take identification very seriously....going to the microscopic level if needed. I'm sure I'll have more pics of great trails and great shroom harvests to share with you guys. The season is just starting here and it doesn't stop until the first hard freeze! :clap:

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
^^^ I thought i was going to see a rainbow
colored FJ actually... :(...

:rofl:...

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I was thinking vision quest also when I saw the thread title. Reminded me of my youth. Happy Hunting!!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Ok, I'm a little curious. I hunt/chase storms as my hobby and sneak up on them from behind. Do you just run up on them when they are looking the other way and ambush them?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, you can make big money in the NW on the morel and Chanterelle crops. I started shrooming when I was living in Missoula MT. I remember a few people killed each other over morel patches near Glacier park. Crazy Shroomers!

I don't have any shroom specific equipment on my rig. I'm just trying to build it up to take me anywhere I point it. The only shroom mod I can think of is to have external mounted baskets for carrying the harvested shrooms. That way, the porous basket will allow spores to disperse like crazy and help spread the crop for next year! I've also been trying to come up with a name that somehow expresses my love for shrooms. Maybe I'll call her the "Mushroom Mauler" Lol! I'll be starting a build thread soon, so you can see all of the mods I've done so far. Here are a couple more pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
misleading title he he I have done some hunting for them too back in ND but wouldnt advise it for the novice because there are dangerous ones out there that are poisionous!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mycology and entomology are just weird passions of mine. I'm not a professional in either field. I do know quite a bit about both from a life of observation and interest. I was living in Missoula and dating a girl whose father was a professor at the university of Montana. One day in the spring he asked me if I had ever gone morel hunting. I said no, but I knew morels were good from times I had them at fancy dinners. It was the spring after the 2000 fire season that burned the entire Bitterroot Valley. Morels tend to have bumper crops following burns. He took me to Blodgette Canyon about 40 mi south of missoula. It was unreal.... there were morels EVERYWHERE for as far as you could see. Huge morels... the biggest I picked was 15 inches tall and about seven inches thick. I filled a thirty gallon bag in about ten minutes and didn't go more than 15 feet from the parking area. I had shot a 1000lb 6x6 bull elk that season too, so I had elk steaks and morels for a year and a half! After the season was over, I ran into a guy at Weir Creek hot springs. He said he made almost $75,000 in six weeks of picking. Not bad!
I agree that you need to be POSITIVE of what you are picking before you eat anything. If you are unsure, don't eat it. There are fewer than ten deadly mushrooms found in the US, but they are very common and some can be confused with edible species. The Death Cap, The Destroying Angle, and The Deadly Wood Galerina are among the most common and deadly. One bite is more than enough to kill a grown man and there is no treatment to save you. Morels are pretty easy, as only false morels look remotely similar and once you have seen a true next to a false, you won't confuse the two. The Great Morel - False Morels

Razor J, Try them! They are a true delicacy. If you don't like em, send them to me. They are worth quite a bit of money!

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have very fond memories of mushroom hunting in a large cow pasture down near the Hilo Zoo in Hawaii. It was on the flight path to the Hilo airport. You'd be standing there and 747s would be coming in for a landing , and it would be right in front of you. Pretty awesome!! As were the shrooms. Talk about seeing things!!

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
Awesome! When I was young, my family used to go pick pounds of morels, batter them, and fry them in butter. MMmmmmmmm!

I think that I am going to go get my kids, get in the FJ, and go find some - the lilacs are blooming... It's hard to mess up morel ID so I'll stick with those!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts